Spain tourism boom 2016?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Spain tourism boom 2016?

Postby katy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:51 am

Tourism in Spain was up this year. Not surprising as there aren't many safe places to holiday now. Greece is safe but who wants to sit on a beach and watch the migrants landing! Bulgaria too :roll: so, obvious choice is Spain. I was amazed to read that almost a million tourists went to Sharm el sheikh this year. People must have short memories as there have been other tourist attacks there. I wouldn't go to any Muslim country now, glad I did my bucket list years ago as I loved Egypt. Grandson arrived back from a school trip to Dubai at the weekend and I was relieved. Three German tourists were stabbed in Fez, Morocco last week so that's out. When we went to Nice this year armed police were patrolling in pairs

So, will Spain pick up the slack, probably. Still much cheaper than Italy etc. Or will many be scared to fly :think: perhaps they will have staycations until the panic dies down. Perhaps airlines should start doing their own. BA already do in some places. In Kenya they have a double check before boarding with their own machines and Security staff. When we flew American Airlines from Madrid they also had their own security. When waiting at Malaga arrivals I have often seen people being allowed to wander back in without identity. I have always thought that the weakest link in security is the shops after passing through security, anything could be passed through.

I might go to Benidorm next year, on a ferry :lol:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spain tourism boom 2016?

Postby olive » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:49 pm

We have just been talking about this. I reckon that although one day we will learn that Putin was behind blowing the plane up ( think Moscow flats- excuse for Chechen war) it is convenient to think Satanic state is behind it. For sure airports will have to beef up apron security. You are right katy about the shops post security. So slower turnaround times equals greater cost to airlines and thus customers.

All good for Spain tourism as you say, well until a plane from a Spanish airport is blown up. Driving will then look more attractive. At least you will be able to take your own olive oil to Britain - as much as you like and bring back outers of Fray Bentos pies :lol:

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:37 pm

I can never understand this fear of Arabs. I have spent the majority of my working life working with Arabs. I have worked in every country in the middle east. I had 2 passports so I could move from Israel to Gaza easily. I was in Beirut the night Terry Waite was kidnapped, watched a cruise missile coming up a road in Baghdad, under the telephone lines, during the first Iraq war and watched patriot missiles taking out scuds from the top floor of the Hilton in Tel Aviv. So I have good reason to be apprehensive.

But in 37 years I never once felt insecure. To this day, if the opportunity arose, I would go back. The only place I've every felt a tad worried is in Manchester. Now that is a dangerous place.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:19 pm

I don't think it is a fear of Arabs. I had a very good Iranian friend back in the 80's. No it is a fear of religious extremists in Muslim countries. I will put you down for Syria for your next holiday first choice and Yemen second choice. :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:40 pm

I assume the tourists in the Valley of Kings weren't apprehensive when they were shot and killed, neither was I when I visited :roll: or the tourists in the Tunisia museum, or the tourists sunbathing on a Tunisian beach. I could go on.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Tragedies happen. Syria was never my favourite place but I love Yemen. I'd visit tomorrow if I could.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:58 am

why would you want to go to Yemen?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Great Salmon Fishing :lolno:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Better in Iceland :) I think we are being wound up. Yemen indeed :crazy: know a lot about that place, one of the ass holes of the world :mrgreen:

Back on topic. The Germans and Russians will be back in Spain now Sharm has shut. Add another half hour on lingering at the Airports. At least Spanish security is reasonably good.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:28 pm

To be quite honest, I'm not worried about airport shops because by then everything has had its security check.

I think the most vulnerable part is just before security where hundreds of people are packed into a very small area.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:07 pm

Non plane passenger airport security is full of holes.

With regards the departure lounge shops, do you honestly believe that all their stock and each shop assistant is security checked every day? What about the food that is delivered to the plane? What about the cab of the fuel tanker? The list is actually very long but relies on the airport operator employing decent honest people.

I still say it was Putin. It fits his agenda.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Oh, so we all have to go through security but the the stock,food and employees don't?.
I suppose you'll be telling me that Iranians are Arabs next.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Right.
All airside staff have to have a level one CRC check prior to the issue of an airside pass.
You are only given access to the areas you need to be, so a shop assistant will not get access to the gates and ramp workers do not get access to the duty free area. all airside staff are subject to the same checks as passengers every time they pass onto the secure area from the controlled area and their vehicles are searched. That is ALL airside ramp staff and ALL ramp vehicles, be they a small van, a catering truck or a bowser.
With the liquid ban I could not take a prepacked curry to work for my evening meal, liquid you see.

However this is how the rules are interpreted at Manchester and every UK airport I have visited. Now how they are interpreted in Egypt, and what is in place to exclude a rogue baggage handler who knows.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:19 pm

markwilding wrote:Oh, so we all have to go through security but the the stock,food and employees don't?.
I suppose you'll be telling me that Iranians are Arabs next.
No sit & watch sometime. Yes the various shop employees have security clearance but they do not get checked on entering & leaving every time & in most airports I've watched them at , they have their own gate that bypasses the detectors , x ray machines etc. I've also watched deliveries to shops that enter through the same part as the passengers are queuing at to strip of & go through the detector & the delivery men get waved around the side. These are the first ones who should be religiously checked at every opportunity.
Todos somos Lorca.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Sorry Gus wrong, Senior management worked Duty Free for years and she has just confirmed separate channel yes, treated just like a passenger yes. Manchester.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:34 pm

According to EU regs fuel is checked before filling aircraft, catering vans too. That is theory, we all know how EU regs are bent!

Couple of years ago flying out of Malaga. A youth was checking in accompanied by his fussy parents. We were talking to them, he was from Alora and going to work in UK. The Parents blagged their way through security and passport control despite no passports or boarding passes :shock: they sat there with him at the boarding gate, waved him off and were left to wander back through. We were catching a connecting flight from Nairobi and looking out of the plane window could see luggage handlers tampering with luggage!

The loophole that worries me is stuff bought from duty free. Electrical items, bottles of shampoo, handbags etc. How adequately checked are these. :think:

Anyway, all being well I shall be doing the salsa in San Juan two weeks today....well, probably watching :)

Just think, there are 79,000 Russians in Sharm this week. They will all be in Spain next year.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:45 pm

The beauty of terrorism is that acts are easy to do no matter how strict security supposedly is and very hard to stop.

A few years back our slow cooker packed up. We bought another one in the UK and brought it back in cabin luggage. It was packed full of bags of hard to get spices. The whole thing showed up on the Xray machine including the wires and circuitry plus the packages . The East Mids UK security man never batted an eyelid, maybe didn't even notice it. Last year , the same airport made a great Hoo Haa of an empty brand new half litre car oil syringe. Had to be OK'd by the head man.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:31 pm

they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder but i disagree with OLIVE in the beauty of terrorism

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:58 pm

There is a massive difference between every now and again something gets through and that there is no security at all.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Lyric wrote:Sorry Gus wrong, Senior management worked Duty Free for years and she has just confirmed separate channel yes, treated just like a passenger yes. Manchester.
Not at Alicante, Murcia or Almeria . I watched them all just walk through,regularly.
Todos somos Lorca.