when to plant

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
JAKE M
Resident

when to plant

Postby JAKE M » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:28 am

Hi people, My wife and I have been given access to a small garden. We are inland from Velez- Malaga at 300
metres above sea level. The plot is on a slope and is about 15 ft x 20 ft square. We are presently "preparing" the soil. The surrounding land is the usual grapes almonds and olives. This wee plot was an old chicken house and part of it is about 1ft deep in chicken sh*t!! -great manure.
My question is, is there a "planting calendar" for Andalucia for vegetables and herbs ? I have seen such a calendar for other countries but can't as yet source one for here. There is one listed on this forum but it was for Andalusia Alabama?
Thanks in advance
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: when to plant

Postby gavilan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 pm

maybe look to see what your Spanish neighbours are planting ,,, but also ... ?what direction does this plot faca? ... in full sun or some shade? ... ?protection from those howling gales we get not infrequently? ... and is there easy access to water?

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:11 pm

It comes down to microclimate. Some vegetables are frost hardy, some aren't. You can always invest in some plastic low tunnels you place over the vegetables in nov-feb, then you have all year production.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Do a Google search for

Your Garden in Spain: From Planning to Planting and Maintenance

They write in the euroweekly I think. Maybe you can get hold of a second hand copy.

Or as mentioned ask your local neighbour.

Just found this as well.

http://gardenspain.com/
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:42 pm

I tend to plant what is available in the garden centres, presuming that they stock the things that need planting now. I have sometimes wanted something specific but just cannot find it so I just keep popping in until they have them in stock, which can be some months away from when I was thinking of planting.

Herbs are usually available just about all year round and all ours grow well outdoors. We have greenhouses around us and they plant tomatoes, beans and cucumbers all year around, so maybe a polytunnel as flexo suggests would be a good idea (not in the height of summer though!) Another neighbour has just finished harvesting his green peppers and he planted those a couple of months ago. From our experience, we haven't been able to grow much in the summer due to the extreme heat.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:32 pm

You cannot go by what works for the neighbor in Spain because of microclimatic conditions. There might be frost on your parcela but not on your neighbor's side. This is particularly so down along the costa on altitudes such as 300 meters. The temperature can vary with more than 5-10C within a 1km radius and the frost point likewise.

Low tunnels are great in the winter but they have to be ventilated during the day (very important) and you have to remove them no later than march.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:16 am

Hi again. Sorry for the delay but we've been busy on the land! (new hobbies always start of obsessively!)
We have now terraced this small plot and we are going to buy green mesh for fencing round the plot.
our neighbour now suggests any seasonal veg now as in potatoes, lettuce, onions etc. We are Going to the U.K. for Christmas so will start planting if weather is favourable.
The plot is north facing but all the grapes in the area all seem to do fine.
Thanks Swerve for the link http://gardenspain.com will study it later

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will put on a photo to let you see what we've been doing

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:14 pm

JAKE M's reference to fencing his newly acquired plot reminded me of a couple of encounters with my Spanish neighbours recently ... there is approx 200m of alambrada/wire netting fencing along the top of my property ... ugly stuff ... so I thought to put up some brezo/heather fencing alongside/attached to it ... first encounter was with neighbour no 1 who insisted the first 10m of said alambrada was his and if I did not take that section of brezo down, he would burn it down! Rather than be burnt alive in my own house, I complied with his 'request' ... Then came encounter with neighbour no 2 who told me that I would be denounced by the local police because I had not allowed space at the bottom of the brezo for the rabbits to get through!!! I have been around this area for nearly 20 years and never seen a rabbit alive or dead ... hence I have not complied with his 'request'!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 pm

I think it is actually an EU law to leave a 'small animal' space somewhere in a fence :roll: at my cottage in Wales there are 6 ft high wooden gates, and one of them has a bit missing at the bottom of the wooden slat - a cat-sized bit :wink:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:07 pm

yes chrissiehope I did wonder if there was some obscure Spanish law re rabbit spaces under fences ... however the alambrada had been in situ for more than 15 years and had no such space ... nor had anyone/neighbour/police denounced me for lack of said space ... so seemed strange to mention it now!

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Probably they had just been watching Watership Down!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:49 pm

gavilan wrote: ... so seemed strange to mention it now!
Many laws are ignored in Spain. They only seem to get quoted when you have annoyed someone and they want to get back at you. :shh:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:00 pm

yes gerryh I can understand neighbour 1 wanting to get back at me for (unwittingly) putting brezo along his 10m of alambrada but it was neighbour 2 who said about the lack of rabbit spaces etc and I had thought I was on good terms with him .. have done a lot for him one way or another ... sometimes I think the local people just want to feel/show they know so much more than us guiris ... and in many ways they do!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:02 pm

ps ... but maybe JAKE M needs to be careful when he puts fencing around his vegetable plot!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:24 pm

It was my neighbours idea too use mesh around the plot as his hen house is only 20 ft away. they are "let out every day/every other day and would head straight for the "new ground to scratch about. He was with us yesterday at the plot and gave us some old metal chicken wire for free if we can be bothered repairing it.
Now being a Scotsman...........
And before the "Scots being mean sketch" starts, I have fixed is computer, set up his sat nav and sourced parts for his generator on line all at no charge!! I have also just volunteered my wife to help in his olive harvest!!