Family wishing to relocate/Where to buy?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
anouska
Tourist

Family wishing to relocate/Where to buy?

Postby anouska » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi All any advice would be appreciated. We are a young family looking to buy in andalucia, our inital thoughts are somewhere in Cadiz, Seville or Huelva provinces. We are looking to buy as full time residents in the future. We are looking for somewhere that we could move either in a couple of years but in the mean time use as a holiday home, but a permanent home for the long term. As stated we are a young family, we love outdoors and nature and have lived all over the world. We would be looking for somewhere in the country but close enough (short commute) to a village/town for schools, shops and whatever else etc. Something rustic and traditional would be nice a fixer upper is fine, but must be somewhat habitable even if its rough and ready, ideally we would like somewhere close to airports, beach, (within an hour+), but must have a nice garden space as in lots of trees or other natural features, rivers etc. etc. as opposed to an manicured garden.. We would prefer a more authentic Spain as opposed to an ex pat hub. Somewhere, that's friendly, nice good for visitors to come visit us, nice/practical to live and friendly place but still feel like you are in the countryside... Any suggestions to the areas/town outskirts in these provinces where we should focus on? We plan to rent somewhere this summer to have a look at some houses, the question is where do we start looking! We are simple people in terms of the quiet life we are used to living in rural Africa and South America, but at the same time have small children (6 and 3 yrs) who would need to go to school. Any advice on areas, on buying itself, be careful's... and best estate agents for those areas would be appreciated... Thanks

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Family wishing to relocate/Where to buy?

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi Anouska, I have sent you a pm (private message) :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:31 pm

Hola and welcome to the forum,

the simple answer is "Google is your friend" - or one man's meat etc. I love where I live in Chiclana but not everyone's cup of tea.

Davexf

pablosho
Tourist

Postby pablosho » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi Anouska,

This might be welcome or miles off but research the areas as they sound like what you could be looking for!
Arcos de la Frontera or Vejer de la Frontera.

Arcos is inland, a small village / town steeped in history and perched high up on a cliff but has lots of surrounding countryside. 30 minutes from Jerez (airport) or Sevilla 1 hour + and about 40-50 minutes to the closest beach.

Vejer is idyllic, another white town squeezed between the sierras and the sea, Vejer de la Frontera is a labyrinth of white washed houses & winding cobbled streets and surrounded by countryside. Close to fantastic beaches and Gibraltar & Malaga for the closest airports.

PM me if you need to know anymore

Saludos
Paul

anouska
Tourist

Postby anouska » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:25 am

Saludos Paul,
Thanks for that indeed my research has identified those places!
I will be heading to Cadiz in July this year and am hoping to view a few properties, if anyone can recommend an estate agent who lists small fincas/country properties in Cadiz, Heulva or Sevilla then I would be greatful for their names/contacts, we would consider any areas in these regions. Or, if you hear of anyone selling please put them in contact.. looking for a minimum 3 bed.. price range around 200,000 euro mark.
Thanks

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:23 pm

There are some in areas which are about one and a half hours from Malaga Airport. May be a bit closer to Jerez and Sevilla airports. They are further inland in Seville/Cadiz regions. For example, Pruna and Olvera have very good town hall policies and round the clock urgencias. Very prompt. There is a Pruna blog. Last year when I was over, there were some people selling fincas, really lovely ones. One of the couples has a holiday home on the Costa del Sol and wanted to move down to the coast. Another was looking to buy a smaller place as children grown up and off to Uni.
There is an English Estate Agent who takes buyers through the whole process, knows all the ins and outs and the area. They are called Andalucía/Olvera Properties.
Worth a try. Also Alfi-Casas, a Spanish Estate Agency in the area.

anouska
Tourist

Postby anouska » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:36 am

Thanks Maureen, I will check them out!.

Sailor
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sailor » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi Anoushka,
I would check the areas between Cadiz and Estepona, we did that for 3 years whilst deciding to move over from Australia. We think one needs to be close to amenities, shops bars and restaurants and beaches to enjoy Southern Spain, we are 1 km from a quaint little village Castillo de la Duquesa and the small port of La Duquesa, which suits us because one of the criteria of moving to Spain was to be able to walk into a village and a Supermarket and not being far away , no more than 15 min drive to a quaint town with Spanish character such as Estepona, one hours drive to a major airport Malaga , ( 20 min to Gib Airport) and lots of quaint villages around, like Casares, Gaucin,Benahavis, Ronda, still within easy ,say 2.5 hours driving to places like Granada, Córdoba, Seville, and if one wants to live it up ( we usually don't) Marbella or Puerto Banus, 30 min drive.
Could not live in the east like Fuengirola Benamaldena etc .Too busy.have a good look around, rent some apartments or fincas ( difficult for short periods) and sample the areas. Cadiz and Jerez are lovely towns and if you like windsurfing Tarifa is the go but otherwise they are a bit away.
Anyway maybe food for thought!
Cheers
Rainer

Twopints

Postby Twopints » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:51 pm

Seville sounds like the ideal place based on your needs

anouska
Tourist

Postby anouska » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Rainer and twopoint,
Thanks very much for your replies I will check them out. Rainer, sounds pretty much in terms of location we are looking for more or less, thansk for input.

akpdesigninc

Postby akpdesigninc » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:22 am

Hi Everybody - My husband and I have been thinking about moving to Ronda, from Los Angeles US. Does anybody have any feedback on the medical facilities and general goods amenities there? Or know of any natural disasters that occur in that region? I do know that drought is effecting us all over the globe but was wondering if anything else is apt to occur. How does the community feel about incomng foreigners? Also, shall we also use those already suggested real estate agents mentioned above? I understand that finding a trustworthy professional is of the most importance, as we wouldn't want to purchase something that was illegally built. Thank you. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Alison

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Hello akpdesigninc.......can't you get a more snappy name?...hurts my fingers just typing it! :lol: :lol: :lol: It'll have to be Alison! :wave: :wave: We live in the countryside near Ronda and have done for 14 years and for us it is the regional admin centre for all things bureaucratic, like healthcare and other regional government stuff. It's also, if you live in the countryside, the place to go for half decent supermarkets and other shops as well as being a regional tourist centre which means that the town hall is geared up to make the place look attractive and welcoming.

You'll have to pm me with any specific questions as your list is understandably long, but don't assume Real Estate agents are going to fall over backwards to tell you that something might not be legal....it's up to you and your lawyer to ask the questions, so get a good one. There's loads of stuff on this forum about that and I kindof know which agents are OK and which not....so pm me.

Don't worry overmuch about natural disasters! Ronda has been there since Roman times (2000 years+) and although we live in an earthquake zone, most houses are nowadays built to an adequate standard....unless you buy near a river and it's an illegal build.......but that's another thing for your lawyer....best wishes!
nil illegitimum carborundum