4 days between Seville and Granada

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
madfish

4 days between Seville and Granada

Postby madfish » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:08 am

Hi all, We are travelling from Australia to Spain in July and have been slowly working out our itinerary.
After a planned few days in Seville we plan to hire a car and drive to Granada, we have allowed 4 days for this, then spend some further time in Granada. Our question revolves around a possible route we should take, things we must see and villages to stay in. I think Rhonda is a must, but are very keen to hear any suggestions tips etc.

Stevemul
Resident

Re: 4 days between Seville and Granada

Postby Stevemul » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:39 am

If you visit the Parador Hotels website you can buy and book an itinerary with stops in the Andalucian Towns and Cities using their Special Offer 5 night Card - very good value.
We did a round trip staying at Zafra, Sevilla, Córdoba, Jaen and Granada.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:35 am

If you end up in Cadiz (well worth the journey) a visit to "El Faro" tapas bar is a must do.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:08 am

In my view the first thing you need consider is how hot it will be in July and plan your trips around that.
Ronda is a good option and not on direct route but not difficult to do, there is also Antequera which is just off the route to Granada.
I think in 4 days you will find enough to do between Seville/Granada.
I think be better to check weather before booking Alhambra and things like that as in my view these things are just hard work when its too hot.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:05 pm

This is a bit of a difficult question to answer without knowing what you like.

However here are some things I would include.

The rubbish tip on the right after a few km when you leave Seville to Granada on the motorway. I have never in my life seen so many different raptors in the air and on the ground. yesterday at home I was only 30 feet away from a golden eagle. marvellous. Similarly you might like flamingoes in which case Fuente de Piedra has one of only a very few European breeding sites with a visitor centre. It didn't have food and drink facilities the last time I went. If wildlife isn't your thing...

Ronda is a must and after that have a cool drink at Setenil de las Bodegas. Andalucia .com has quite a wealth of info on this and other places.

I would include Antequera. Charming town with history and many churches. maybe as many as 1 per 1000 inhabitants. It has a parador. Not stayed in it(too close) and it looks fairly new. near Antequera is El Torcal. Magnificent Karst landscape. Quite a few tame Hispanic Cabra which are otherwise difficult to spot as they normally live well away from humans. El Torcal has a visitor centre and is easily accessible by car. It serves food and drink but I haven't sampled either. Also has toilets. While back in Antequera do visit the Dolmens. Massive ancient tombs which must have taken a lot of manpower to construct. They are upgrading the site to become a world heritage site. Note they close like a lot of places in the afternoon for the siesta. No food and drink there last time I went.

Do a detour to Cordoba. The principle atraction is the "Cathedral" the Mezquite. Do a search for loaction, entry and so on. Easy motorway road from Antequera. The driving is a pleasure. The city also has many other diversions and is worthy of an overnight stay. Roman bridge, old quarter and so on. North Westish of Cordoba is the ruins of Medina Azahara. A colossal city. I think I read somewhere that at its height it contained 6000 concubines.

Something different? Zuheros. It has the Cueva de los Murciélagos (bat caves) and is a quaint small
picturesque town. Nice restaurants and a rural hotel not far away that was done up a few years ago next to the former railway line.

Then you could take in Priego de Cordoba and Montefrio before arriving at Granada. Montefrio believe it or not is one of the National Geographic magazine's 12 most photogenic small towns in the world. I am surprised but it is photogenic. A 62 year old inhabitant has in the last ten years or so accumulated more than 30,000 photos of the town.!

I can't recommend places to stay overnight though the paradors are a good bet. Have a look on trip adviser for accommodation. There is a five star restaurant in Algarinejo for example that I can recommend but not the town which I feel is singularly dull.

With luck the new tram system will be operational or part operational in Granada. Personally I don't like driving in the city as they have now got cameras, bus lanes etc. Otherwise it is a great city. Consider the segway tour of the centre and the gipsy quarter. You will already have the Alhambra on your list.

Hope that helps. Come back later if you have more questions.

madfish

Postby madfish » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Thanks to you all for the replies and great suggestions. Olive when you started your reply with the dump I thought you were kidding, however great to have it pointed out! I think our interests are varied, however we like visiting unusual places with interesting history, wildlife,parks and walks,small quaint places with character, and a quiet drink or two in the evening to get a feel for this area. We quite like the warmer weather, so that shouldn't be too bigger problem. We are taking in Córdoba spending a night there via train from Madrid to Seville, prior to these four days. The Parador hotel pass also is a great help and we will look into that. Once again thanks for all your help, and too others keep the suggestions flowing.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi there,

Here are come places enroute Sevilla to Granada that you might want to check out on Andalucia.com to see if they are interresting to you.

Carmona (on Cordoba motorway not Granada but you can cut across)
http://www.andalucia.com/province/sevil ... a/home.htm

Osuna (especiallly if you are a Game of thrones fan)
http://www.andalucia.com/province/sevil ... a/home.htm

Antequera
http://www.andalucia.com/antequera/home.htm

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi Site Admin,
You should know to post URL's using the URL Tab............... :D

PS: When is the Upgrade going to be done............ :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks Enrique, update on other thread.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:50 pm

If you visit Loja look out for the Marx Brothers.Loja was the setting for Freedonia in Duck Soup.