Buying in the campo

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Gadimericano

Buying in the campo

Postby Gadimericano » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I've tried to search for this topic, but I kept getting error messages. My apologies if it's been covered.

I live in Cadiz, and I'm looking to buy a small house in the country -- preferably in an area near-ish Grazalema. I have heard that many of the houses in the campo are not technically legal, and that it's hard to find anything that's both above-board, and also somewhat remote.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best search for such property?

Thanks!

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Buying in the campo

Postby maureenscot » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Welcome Gadimericano. Sorry I do not have an answer for you but you will surely hear from others shortly.
I take it you are aware that Grazelama is one of the rainiest places in Andalucía?
Good luck
Maureen

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Isn't wildside from around Grazalema area? ... and he's into the wilderness ... maybe pm him?

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:10 am

Hola

There is an estate agent I can personally vouch for; I have no connection to the company but they are honest. Cadizcasa is there name - google it

Davexf

Gadimericano

Postby Gadimericano » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:09 am

Thank you for the responses!

@maureenscot: Yeah, I'm aware :thumbup: I'm originally from the rainy state of Oregon, so I enjoy the familiar climate

@dxf: Thank you! I'll get in contact with them!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:38 pm

You are about to trespass in a minefield :problem:
There are many threads on this forum about country houses and their illegality or legality or (even)
a-legality - yes! it's even spawned a new word for the english language!

New laws were introduced in 2002 about building and buildings in the campo and (at last) have even been brought into use these last few years. You will need a knowledgeable lawyer -one who understands country property - and you must ask specifically about Certificates of First Occupation; DAFOs (or CAFOs); Fuera de Ordinacion; and the supply of water and electricity. But not all apparently illegal houses are set up for the bulldozer. Listen to what the lawyer says and interpret accordingly.

There is so much to understand that it would take an awfully long time to explain it all here.
Meantime, have a look at this: http://tinyurl.com/zjzcyx9
nil illegitimum carborundum

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi Trooperman,
Thanks for the Link........our Town Hall has just kicked in with this, we are currently some way through the Minefield.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:52 pm

It's also been discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34997&p=339949&hilit=DAFO#p339949
and there's a further link to a previous discussion.

I do know, albeit via a third party, that the notary in (a major coastal town that I'd sooner keep to myself) has indicated he would not have a problem if there was NOT a DAFO in place.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Gadimericano

Postby Gadimericano » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 am

Thank you for the information. It certainly seems that there are some substantial obstacles to overcome.