British-style Bacon

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

British-style Bacon

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:00 am

The one bit of Brit food I find difficult to do without is 'proper' bacon - smoked or not. Lidl used to sell it, but as is normal with that store they have long periods when something just is not in stock for ages (like corned beef, or small tins of tomatoes entero, or whatever!).
The otherwise-pleasant Mark at La Tasca in Torre del Mar won't tell me where he buys his ("trade secret") and Iceland is too far...
Is there anyone on here that can help? A cafe-bar owner in the Velez/Torre/Nerja area must have a source.....?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: British-style Bacon

Postby country boy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 am

Iceland in Mijas Costa, full range of Danish...luvvverly!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:09 am

and...as I can't edit at the moment....They also do catering packs so that could be the source for your local cafes!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:23 am

Have you tried Supersol? Our local one even stocks English bangers.
Personally, having weened myself off the stuff so many years ago, I now can't stand it - far too salty, which is odd because my usual complaint about Spanish food is: too much salt - but bacon is the opposite, now I'd be looking for "Spanish style" bacon in Tescos if I ever go back. :)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:34 am

Countryboy...a 140km round trip from here....no way would businesses East of Malaga use them!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Just a suggestion Peter, never go East of Malaga myself...there be Dragons!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Supersol is my usual source for both smoked and neat. My preference is for smoked which is slightly harder to find than neat. The Torrox Costa and Capistrano branches are 100% certain, I am not sure about the larger ones in TdM and Nerja as I rarely go in them.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Funny really, I've never been able to understand why Brits prefer English/Danish bacon to Spanish bacon, given a choice I'd always choose Spanish bacon and Spanish sausages !
The last time I saw 'English' bacon in Lidl there was Brit couple loading their trolley with every packet on the shelf...
There is plenty of English bacon for sale in shops on the coast, but certainly not worth the time and effort to travel any distance for, in my honest opinion.
Apart from PG Tips/Yorkshire t-bags we have now gone completely 'native ' with regard to food.. :lol:
Regards,
Gordon the Gourmet.... :wink:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:14 pm

They prefer it because it is lean back bacon rather than the streaky fatty bacon that the Spanish produce. The Spanish do not rear bacon pigs, they just cure the fatty, belly pork from ordinary pigs.

Personally I prefer the Spanish streaky for flavour, but like "proper" bacon in a Bacon Sarnie.

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:20 pm

I suggest go to your meat shop and but a good quality pork belly, some of them are mostly lean except for the streaks which is what i prefer,
Then do a bit of googling and there are loads of recipies online.
I have not got around to doing though if I lived in spain I would be doing as because the climate not as humid far better for dry-curing bacon/pancheta..

have fun

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Sid,
I almost lived on 'real' bacon sarnies when I was in the Navy and after when working as a brewery rep...probably overdid it.!!!
And as a former Judge at the Malton Bacon Factory Beauty Queen Pageant I was given an in-depth tour of the factory...came out vowing to never eat bacon again...it lasted 2 weeks and I was overcome by the frying bacon smell wafting from the kitchen of our guest house :lol:

Anyway I suspect Peteroldrasher is fully addicted to bacon sarnies so he will never be able to convert to Spanish bacon.... :wink:
Good idea wollie...maybe he should start a little factory curing bacon...!

And now after all this chat about bacon I will have to go and make myself a bacon sarnie...Spanish Bacon of course.!
Regards,
Gordon

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:25 pm

Most british bacon is full up with water,you fry it and the pan fills up with salty water.
I've abandoned "wet cure" and now I always buy "dry cure"...a bit more expensive but better and easier to cook.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Try Martin Randall English butcher who delivers east of Malaga. He is due soon I think. 667431366 or [email protected]. Really good bacon and other lovely priduce. Im sure you could arrange something with him

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:02 pm

I too really like Spanish bacon. When I go back to the UK, I also pop a couple of packs of Danish and some Marks and Spencer's sausages into the suitcase.
I'm not a fan of the frozen sausages that Carrefour sell but a friend suggested they have to be completely thawed out before cooking to get the best taste. The next time I run out, I'll give them a try.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:40 am

Hi peteroldracer, just heard from Martin the Butcher and he is delivering this way on Monday 11th if you are interested. Im sure he could arrange a meet place. His charges are €10.50 unsmoked/smoked back bacon......€9.99 streaky.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:04 pm

We've just had a wonderful week in Tenerife and one of the items they served at breakfast was the Spanish bacon. When we are next in mercadona what should we be looking for regarding Spanish bacon as we have become converts. Personally I like it not too well done but wor lass and the daughter like it crispy.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 am

Mercadona sell what they call British bacon. Very lean but cut very thin, not like the thick slices in the UK!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:36 pm

swerve wrote:We've just had a wonderful week in Tenerife and one of the items they served at breakfast was the Spanish bacon. When we are next in mercadona what should we be looking for regarding Spanish bacon as we have become converts. Personally I like it not too well done but wor lass and the daughter like it crispy.
I buy La Selva smoked streaky bacon from Mercadona. I like it because it is nice and crispy when well done.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Mercadona sell what they call British bacon
And you ain't seen water content 'till you have tried it :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm

I like both types but thick back bacon is better for putting on a roll or baguette. Oscar Meyer streaky is ok, American style. Don't like to cook it myself as there must be a litre of grease comes out of it and it makes my stomach turn over if I see it.