Bore Hole in Montes de Malaga, advice please.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Stu&Vic
Tourist

Bore Hole in Montes de Malaga, advice please.

Postby Stu&Vic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Hello again,

now that things are progressing with our purchase I find myself in need of a little more advice please!

How/where do we find a reputable installer of boreholes? We are (will be) in Montes de Malaga, about 15 minutes south west of Casabermeja. Whilst on the subject would be a good idea to get a decent water deposit as a back up?

We are planning to harvest rain and grey water for our gardening requirements but I guess you can never have too much water!

Thank you again in anticipation!
Stuart

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bore Hole in Montes de Malaga, advice please.

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:36 pm

The way things are water wise at the moment you will need a back up.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes I would say you need a deposito as I don't know anyone with a borehole to pump the water directly into their house. It goes into a deposito first and is then piped into the house. Preferably have the deposito above the level of the house if at all possible then you will have water pressure without the constant need of a pump. We used to have our tank at about roof level which was OK but not strong enough pressure for the washing machine and dishwasher so we used to just turn on the pump when using those. We also always had water if there was a power cut too as we had enough natural pressure.

We never had any water supply for 8 years so relied entirely on collecting rain water which we used in the house and for everything except drinking, and in the summer had deliveries. The tanker that delivered used to supply around 8m3 (8000L) I think so we made sure we had a tank big enough to take that. Well pumps can also fail, or the well can run dry so you need to have a good supply of water to keep you going in an emergency, or be able to accept a water delivery from a tanker if need be.

Friends with wells have had to have a licence for the borehole to be dug and also have had a meter fitted as there is a yearly limit of how much they can draw from it (although it's a huge amount that domestic users would never exceed). A neighbour dug for water but never found any despite houses in the vicinity having had wells dug successfully, so be aware there's a chance that water may not be found on your land.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:37 pm

You could ask at the town hall - Ayuntamiento for local drilling companies. You pay for empty holes drilled as well as any that might strike water. Then you need some infrastructure. Tubing to line the hole (typically about 12 inches diameter), a submersible pump , electrical connection and lots of tubing to carry the pumped out water.

If you have a search back through posts I did information on having a well drilled some years ago. It also includes the relative permissions required.

bigal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bigal » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Have sent you a PM
Alan - aka the anorexic grasshopper

bigal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bigal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:36 am

Go to your Inbox on this site and click on your post. It should be there.
Alan - aka the anorexic grasshopper

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:52 am

I have several friends in the Montes, near Colmenar. One had two boreholes drilled 15 years ago. Both struck water and functioned for several years but both are now dry. Another friend had a deep well put in about the same time. For the first few years it produced in excess of 400 ltrs per day. Now it's less than 100 and reducing every month. He can only pump from it every 3 days. The Montes are drying up, so beware of what you are promised.

Stu&Vic
Tourist

Postby Stu&Vic » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Thank you all once more!
ajtg1952, we are quite a way from Colmenar so hopefully their water is down near us now! WE will get a quote for a decent deposit, we can collect water ourselves (2000 litres) if we can find a source, anyone know of one? I know we should contact the town hall but we are still in the UK and preparing like crazy!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:02 pm

That is the experience of myself and others in the neighborhood. The wells are producing less and less each year due to the water table lowering and presumably aquifers drying up.

Re a deposit. I often wish I had had a swimming pool sized in ground deposit to catch over winter rains. If you work on a reasonable figure of 500 litres a day for a busy household then a 10x 5 pool sized deposito might hold 75 cu metres. 150 days worth

edited to add link to a previous well thread. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32488&p=312813&hil ... ll#p312813