So are you in or out

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
swerve
Resident

Re: So are you in or out

Postby swerve » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Out mate. I think we should accept that the good idea is just not working anymore. The same people that are asking us to stop wanted the bloody euro. Also it I'm frightened of the threat of all the Turks and other wanting to join heading straight for the uk.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:22 pm

I don't understand why some people automatically assume that (a) huge numbers of the population of countries which join the EU will want to move anywhere (before the last General Election UKIP were putting posters out claiming that xx million Bulgarians and Romanians were coming to take British jobs, and the figure they used was actually higher than the total population of both countries put together, and (b) that those who do will head straight for the UK. Norway (which is not in the EU but had to accept free movement as a condition of joining the single market) has an immigrant population of 16.3% which higher than the proportion of the UK population who are immigrants. Wages are higher, benefits as generous or more so, and rents more reasonable, in countries like Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden etc. and all of them have higher migrant numbers comparative to the size of the native population than the UK does.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:39 pm

I've just checked the figures. The UKIP poster said 26 million Bulgarians and Romanians would be heading for the UK (just like Michael Gove saying during the referendum campaign that 80 million Turks would be heading for the UK to use the NHS and take up school places, etc). In fact there are now 235,000 Bulgarian and Romanian workers in the UK. It's complete and utter scaremongering to use the total population figure of a country and imply that every single one of them will be heading straight for the UK.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Swerve i wouldn't worry too much because the Turks will not be coming to the Uk anytime soon....They might just go to Spain if and when they ever are able to join the EU just like many Polish and Romanians have...i wonder why? can't be the gravy train..maybe the sunshine and the slow pace of life :wink:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Free at Last. Well done. Sensible, rational, factual, intelligent post. The trouble is some people have their head in a bucket of Farage pooh (can I write that?) and don't much care for logic.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Yes Lavanda i think you can :thumbup: i've seen much worse written.. :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:25 pm

Free at Last wrote: It's complete and utter scaremongering to use the total population figure of a country and imply that every single one of them will be heading straight for the UK.
Lastest news from b@llsh1t daily
If Britain vote out, 60 million Britains could possibly potentially might emigrate before the 2 year transition priod is completed :shifty:

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Free at Last wrote:I've just checked the figures. The UKIP poster said 26 million Bulgarians and Romanians would be heading for the UK (just like Michael Gove saying during the referendum campaign that 80 million Turks would be heading for the UK to use the NHS and take up school places, etc). In fact there are now 235,000 Bulgarian and Romanian workers in the UK. It's complete and utter scaremongering to use the total population figure of a country and imply that every single one of them will be heading straight for the UK.

Nice one and your previous post. :clap:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Sometimes down here on the Costa I think maybe the whole of Britain must be empty.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Free at Last wrote:I've just checked the figures. The UKIP poster said 26 million Bulgarians and Romanians would be heading for the UK (just like Michael Gove saying during the referendum campaign that 80 million Turks would be heading for the UK to use the NHS and take up school places, etc). In fact there are now 235,000 Bulgarian and Romanian workers in the UK. It's complete and utter scaremongering to use the total population figure of a country and imply that every single one of them will be heading straight for the UK.
Only 235,000 that's alright then. Anyone ever checked their skills rating. They take low paid jobs and get topped up with housing benefit, council tax allowance, tax credits, family allowance. The point is that the potential is there. Of course many won't come, the middle class are settled in Civil Service etc. We mainly get unskilled immigrants.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Katy says..." Of course many won't come". Now, I know that and you know that apparently.......so why does Michael Gove not understand it.
I'm glad you are starting to see the light :-)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:35 pm

swerve wrote:Whatever the figure it's too much. Wait till 75million Turkish and other new member states all have eu passports. One things for sure they won't be heading for Spain. It will be the uk benefits gravy train.
Of course the figure is too much. Even if it were only 50 million it is still too high a price. The fact is no one seems to know the true figure. The Net figure consists of projects that are a waste of space. I reckon that if the 350 million figure was wrong and they could prove it legal action would have been taken. It hasn't.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Lavanda wrote:Free at Last. Well done. Sensible, rational, factual, intelligent post. The trouble is some people have their head in a bucket of Farage pooh (can I write that?) and don't much care for logic.
Just because people I don't agree with you doesn't mean That they've got there heads in a bucket of poo. I'm hoping I'm wrong but that's to be seen. I'm hoping they all end up in merkels backyard.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 pm

katy wrote:
swerve wrote:Whatever the figure it's too much. Wait till 75million Turkish and other new member states all have eu passports. One things for sure they won't be heading for Spain. It will be the uk benefits gravy train.
Of course the figure is too much. Even if it were only 50 million it is still too high a price. The fact is no one seems to know the true figure. The Net figure consists of projects that are a waste of space. I reckon that if the 350 million figure was wrong and they could prove it legal action would have been taken. It hasn't.

So funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :clap:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:05 pm

gus wrote:Katy says..." Of course many won't come". Now, I know that and you know that apparently.......so why does Michael Gove not understand it.
It's project fear, isn't it? Problem is many don't use their common sense and believe it.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:07 pm

I see this thread has drifted away from the original question and has degenerated into another " I will try, by any dubious opinion or concocted set of statistics to justify the way I will vote on Thursday" :think: :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:08 pm

This from Politics Home

Half of Leave voters believe EU referendum will be rigged

Almost half of those intending to vote to leave the EU, believe the referendum will be rigged against them, a startling new poll has found.

Forty-six per cent of all Leave voters think it's "probably true" that the vote on Thursday will be altered by the authorities, according to the YouGov poll for LBC.

This compares to just 11% of Remain voters. Overall 28% of all voters believe the vote will be fixed.

It is not clear how exactly Leave voters believe the vote will be altered by the powers-that-be. However, almost a third told the pollsters they believe that "MI5 is working with the government to try and stop Britain leaving the EU".

Just over a third also agreed that leading broadcasters had declined to commission an exit poll, in order that the result could be rigged by the authorities.

The findings demonstrate an alarming lack of trust in the democratic process among Leave voters.

The findings follow a series of claims by prominent Leave campaigners that the 'establishment' are conspiring against a Brexit vote.

esterday, Ukip leader Nigel Farage claimed that the defection of Conservative Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, was a "put up job" by Number Ten and suggested that she had never really been in favour of leaving the EU.

The belief that Remain sleeper agents have been implanted in the Leave campaign has gained popularity in recent weeks. When Conservative MP Sarah Wollaston also defected to the Remain campaign, several of her colleagues repeated suggestions that she was a "Remain plant" whose defection had been "deliberately staged."

Other conspiracy theories pushed by Leave campaigners have included claims that the government staged the crashing of the official voter registration website in order to justify extending the deadline for younger voters, as well as claims that thousands of foreign nationals have been illegally registered to vote.

Fears of an anti-Brexit conspiracy come as the latest polls suggest that the race is on a knife edge with just a couple of days left to go.

The latest poll of polls puts both sides on 50% of the vote. An ORB poll for the Telegraph last night gave a two-point lead for Remain among all voters, while a separate YouGov poll for the Times suggested a two-point lead for Leave.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:23 pm

First we had the fiasco of over 5000 foreigners being inadvertently given voting cards
Then the extending by two days of the registration period when the site was only down for two hours. Sounds like some banana republic like Zimbabwe.
It is true that The unelected Baroness Farsi was never for leave, her Twitters have been published, proof is there to see. I have read them.
I thought Boris was a plant but admit I was probably wrong.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:28 pm

This thread has just morphed into another referendum thread and we already have one.

I am closing this thread as it is now completely off topic. If you wish to contribute to the referendum discussion, do it in the other thread.

Sid