Relocating to Spain

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Kizzicoolcat
Tourist

Relocating to Spain

Postby Kizzicoolcat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:48 am

I know there are a few of us intending to relocate to Spain in the not too distant future. Obviously I do not want to cause any controversy or a huge debate about political aspects etc but in light of the decision to leave the EU has this effected your decision in any way?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Relocating to Spain

Postby costakid » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:33 am

Quite the opposite. We may be biased as we have a foot in both camps.

elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elscouser » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Our intention (long held and house already bought and paid for) has been to move over in 2.5 years once we have paid debts off and got some extra money behind us. We are in our early 30s and don't know what we are going to do now - we wanted to do it properly. This is a real conundrum.

jeffcaz02

Postby jeffcaz02 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:41 pm

No way we cannot wait to move, if hubby had work we would be there this winter instead of next.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:57 am

I would think if you are gonna do do it do it before the uk exits as it could get complicated interms of living here legally and for those living here now under the radar

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 am

Good point elusive. If this drives the under the radar people into the open that will be a real positive.

As for the future I think brits finding work in Spain will get tougher than it already is. There is no real sign of recovery here in Spain and why would they want non EU citizens taking what little there is.

But if you have a UK based economy (like pensioners or those with businesses based in the UK) I think the doors will be wide open. The only change might be the cost of health cover.

So as always horses for courses :twisted:
El raton de watford

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:50 am

I am curious as to how it may affect people flying under the radar. We are here all above board, Padrons, NIEs, on the register of foreigners with our little green cards, we have our tarjetas sanitarias, a gestor does our tax returns (not that have enough income to pay anything). Will it just be something like passport stamping so that comings and goings are more closely monitored or might something else occur, do you think?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Many of us have been here for 5 years or more and have the right of permanent residency, which cannot be taken away if the UK leaves the EU.

People "under the radar" will not have signed onto the register so are technically illegal. To gain the right of permanent residency, they would have to prove that they have been legally resident for 5 years - they would not be able to do that.

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:21 pm

But could they just carry on as they are, Sid? Undetected?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:31 pm

They could, but the consequences of being caught out could be greater - only time will tell. At the moment it's pretty well impossible to kick out an EU citizen, but that could change once you become an illegal alien.

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks, Sid.

PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PavAmber » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 pm

If anything, it has brought our decision to move forward. I don't like the way my own country is heading....

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:23 pm

The only real difference imo would be as others say checks at airports with a stamp.that would be the only way the under the radars get caught. Or if travel visas came (personally i doubt) it may just restrict the u.t.r from "risking" a trip back to the uk through passport control or the price of a "holiday" visa.

Interms of looking for work it maybe a case of needing a job offer before a visa is granted. Certainly in andalucia i cant even see that been an issue as there is no work where you would make the effort of getting a visa. I would think alot of expat work is illegal or on illegal contracts such as minimum hours that will effect pension claims in years to come. Not a situation you want to find yourself in

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:47 pm

I don't remember a time when there were travel visas to enter Spain. They might introduce a system to stamp passports at airports as it was pre 1990 or so but Spain is inside Schengen so I'm not sure how they can control people coming in through France or Portugal unless there are spot checks.

The old way was to leave every 90 days and re-enter each time on a tourist visa. However, it might mean having to leave the Schengen area to renew the stamp on the passport or an agreement will be made to maintain free movement between only certain counties in the EU.

Even in 1987 when I came in through France there were no Visa checks or stamps, even though there were at airports and I don't expect that to be different.

Dominges
Tourist

Postby Dominges » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:33 am

As for me, I'm still planning to relocate. Political issues are not always so close to peoples lives, if the relocation is mitivated by searching better climate, rising children in better environment, and in general by the wish to change life completely.. that's my reasons, for othere there will be other reasons...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Domingoes, it depends what you class as "raising children in better environment". Giving them a few years of struggling to understand and be understood, followed by a lifetime of very poor employment opportunities does not, in my view constitute a better environment.
Of course it is sunny, most of the time.....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.