Brexit effect on second home purchase

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Paulm67
Tourist

Brexit effect on second home purchase

Postby Paulm67 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:29 pm

It's early days I know but I'm hoping to buy in Andalucia with view to spending weeks/ months at a time between the UK and Andalucia ie not move on permanent basis. I understand the process as it stands now but does anyone have a crystal ball that predicts the future or can you tell me the procedure for buying a house in Spain if/when I become a non-EU member?

Will it be the same as existing non- EU citizens?

Am I better buying before we officially serve notice ie whilst still an EU citizen?

Can't believe it's actually happened and hope it doesn't affect all the expats who've moved abroad too much☺

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Brexit effect on second home purchase

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:54 pm

I know it's the other way around but we bought our first property in Spain several years before it became a member of the European Union with no problem whatsoever.
Let's go Brandon!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I understand that there are many Russian, Chinese, Americans, all of who are non EU who have bought or are buying property here in Spain.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Not to mention Canadians, Norwegians, Swiss, Moroccans, South Africans, Cubans and citizens of many South American countries, etc, etc.
Let's go Brandon!

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Weren't they offering residency to property purchasers from China and Russia and presumably other places called Golden Visa? Norwegians and Swiss are EEA members and South Americans seems to have some sort of deal with Spain.

Paulm67
Tourist

Postby Paulm67 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Cheers guys, I'm aware of the Golden Visa but sadly it only applies if you invest 500,000 euros or more so that excludes me.

I'm not wanting at present to apply for residency as our intention is to hop back and forth for weeks/months at a time. As EU citizens this is totally acceptable as we speak however my fer is that the EU/Spain may impose restrictions on this.

I guess my situation is fairly insignificant compared to expats who've moved lock, stock and barrel but got a viewing trip arranged for July 4th and want to go armed with as much info as possible as we have our eye on a particular property.

Thanks again

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Really can't see how it will make a difference for anyone ..

You read it here first.

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:16 am

Pre EU you got 90 day visas which were issued on entry to the country.

Tourism is just about Spain's most important export so I doubt they would want to impose restictions on anything that would affect this incuding the purchasing of property. The reverse is the same with London just about the most visited city in the world and the Spainish are one of the biggest group of visitors. Neither country will want to jeopardize this.

What is not so clear is how Brexit will affect people wanting to live and work here.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:41 am

Presumably it will be the same as for thousands of non-EU citizens who already live and work here and we shall revert to having a proper ID card instead of a piece of useless green paper.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:32 am

Beachcomber wrote: we shall revert to having a proper ID card instead of a piece of useless green paper.
So something good may actually come from Brexit!

Sid