Making the move

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Mark&Corin

Making the move

Postby Mark&Corin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:34 am

Hello all,
We are new to the site and in the very early stages of planning our move to Spain, we hope that if all goes to plan it will happen within the next 3 years.
We have a mountain to climb, in terms of information gathering, so please bear with us and we look forward to hearing from all you helpful people out there who have been there, done it, and are wearing the T shirt!
One thing which causes us the most concern is the stories about illegal builds, landgrab and generally dishonest people out to rip others off when buying a property out here.
Would we be right in thinking that these hazards can be avoided by employing a lawyer who really understands buying in Spain, and is on the ball when it comes to all the potential pitfalls and can identify and avoid these?
Is it best to engage an English speaking lawyer in Spain itself or UK based?
Can anyone recommend a firm that meets all the above?
We thank you in anticipation for any information you can provide us with.
Mark & Corin

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Making the move

Postby costakid » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:45 am

Do you know which area you are heading for? A solicitor in Algeciras is not much good if your in Marbella. I would use an English speaking solicitor in Spain personally. Also I would use one from a larger firm as in some of the villages the solicitor may be related to the seller and not have your best interest in mind. I think Land Grab is a thing of the past and that was in Valencia region not Andalucia.
Last edited by costakid on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:19 am

Hi Mark&Corin,
Welcome to The Forum............. :D

A few Members have used this Firm for House purchases.............us included , and we are some distance from Vélez-Málaga.

http://www.gfmendez.com/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:13 am

As well as a good solicitor, choose a reputable estate agent. Not one who just wants to make a quick sale, there are a few about. Bank repos are worth looking at.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Truebrit, do you have names of any Velez-Malaga estate agents?

Mark&Corin

Postby Mark&Corin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Thank you Costakid, Enrique and Truebrit for your replies.
In answer to your question about where, we have settled on Andalucía, but other than that we intend to take 2-3 trips per year to scope out the different regions, view some properties and get a feel for the place.
What we do know is we want to be on or within 15 miles of the coast, not in a built up area and as traditionally Spanish as we can get, so the very touristy areas will be out.
We want to avoid the already developed, expensive areas - value for money will be key, so if any of you guys can suggest where we could be looking that would be great
So far, we are leaning towards Nerja and Frigiliana, but will know more about that in August when we plan to visit.
So are we right in thinking that a good lawyer will identify and deal with any dodgy situations regarding a prospective purchase?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:49 pm

Well you won't stay in Nerja long then, nor Frigiliana both are very ex-pat and touristy.
Torrox and it's environs is more Spanish and the town square at night is a delight.
Like all replies I am biased.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Torrox square is a fav of mine.nerja and frigiliana certainly isnt as spanish as you can get. Its about finding a happy medium and what u feel right with and you can only do that by visiting different places. Maybe get a map out and circle all the main town villages within your 15 miles. Although be aware of how long it can take to do that dstance on mountain roads and also the drop in temps in the winter inland. We went upto competa in feb and it was 7 degrees yet on the coast it was over double that. Lots of googling and street view gives you a good idea of places you might want to add to your list for when you come over to scout places out

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi,
"So are we right in thinking that a good lawyer will identify and deal with any dodgy situations regarding a prospective purchase?"

Yes....the Firm I posted sorted out irregularities ( there is probably a better English word but not in my vocabulary :oops: ) in our house purchase and pulled it all together for the sale/buy.
Best to Enquire about all the "new" paperwork that goes with House purchasing these days, hopefully Members that have recently purchased will reply.
i.e.
1) A Bulletin (Boletin) is a document issued to the property owner by an Electrical Contractor that states that the properties electrical system complies with current Spanish Electrical Regulations.

2)License of first occupancy .

3) The Antiquity Certificate is the document needed at the Notary to update the Title Deeds with any alterations introduced to the property, such as pools or extensions, done with or without a license. In the case of having done an extension or pool without a license, the Antiquity Certificate, frequently known by the general public as “RETROSPECTIVE LICENCE”, is also very useful to guard against possible sanctions/fines, and to protect/state the legal situation of the property .

4) Occupation License..........

Beachcomber and El Cid will have a better handle on the above................. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:22 am

Lyric wrote:Well you won't stay in Nerja long then, nor Frigiliana both are very ex-pat and touristy.
Torrox and it's environs is more Spanish and the town square at night is a delight.
Like all replies I am biased.
Agree in part with that, also Nerja and Frigiliana are more expensive too. There used to be a lot of Brits in the square in Torrox but I don't go there at night now so perhaps they have all left. When we first came here 20 years ago the pueblo was very popular with the Scandinavians and there was a bit of a Brit influx in the boom, but just about everyone we first knew here have all gone back to the UK. The Costa is very German.

If you want something legal then you won't want a campo house like mine, but we are not far from the pueblo but feel in the middle of nowhere. One thing we would avoid is being very far inland where you have a lot of mountain roads to negotiate. I rarely ever go to Competa as I can't stand the bendy road (I get car sick), but then it doesn't seem to bother others as there are plenty of expats up there. Must admit I wouldn't live anywhere else, and we did look around the whole of Andalucia in the early 2000's before we moved out of Spain for a few years to avoid the building boom. We missed it here though and have come back 'home' to Torrox on a permanent basis now.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Mark & Corin,
Welcome to A.Com., where you will find many good answers to your many questions. :thumbup:
It is very difficult to give advice to someone who is contemplating moving to Sunny Spain, we all have different needs and ideas as to what is a perfect location etc., however all of the advice already presented here is good...
I personally have witnessed Spain change very much since my first visits in the 1960's, some good changes ...some bad.

I would recommend that you try to visit as many different areas as possible,and then settle on one area and study in-depth.
I have lived and worked in several locations in Spain, and they have differed dramatically, I really liked the coast areas, and never expected to end up living 1 hour's drive inland, but both my wife and I love are semi-rural location.
We are very lucky that we have all amenities within walking distance of our home, and I would suggest that this is very important for people of all ages, but we also have the views and tranquility of the surrounding countryside and the benefit of really friendly locals , so our situation is almost perfect for us.
I really would say that you should at least look inland, I think that you may be pleasantly surprised.!

With regard to your worries, well 'Landgrab' is a rather historical problem and was mainly in the Alicante/Valencia area..where we previously lived.
Illegal property does tend to be 'campo' houses, rarely in a village or town.
Dishonest people..well they are everywhere in this corrupt world, so just be on guard and always get at least 3 opinions/ quotes etc.

If you are ever visiting our part of the world ( Loja ),Granada Province, then please feel free to make contact and we would be more than happy to give you a tour of our area....
Good Luck,
Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:39 pm

BENIDORM wrote: If you are ever visiting our part of the world ( Loja ),Granada Province, then please feel free to make contact and we would be more than happy to give you a tour of our area....
Good Luck,
Regards,
Gordon
We have just spent a couple of nights near to Alhama de Granada which was lovely. It was just over an hour away from us but a world away. Due to it being much flatter than here the roads were straight and the surrounding countryside full of barley and oat fields. Not sure where the nearest big centre is for larger supermarkets, but if you don't want to be near to the coast then it was a lovely area. It's just that the winters are cold up there and the restaurant went to and even the hotel with the thermal baths are closed in the winter months (which is just the time we thought it would be nice to go up there for a day of spa treatments and a soak in the hot baths!).

Andalucia is such a varied area that as Benidorm says, you must try out different areas to see what suits you.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:42 pm

for being off the beaten tourist track, consider Huelva province and the Costa Luz, and parts of Seville and Cadiz provinces.

JuliaStein
Tourist

Postby JuliaStein » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:11 pm

This article might be helpful for you https://tranio.com/traniopedia/tips/spa ... g_the_law/, it contains questions to get answered before putting pen to paper.
"Just remember that for every despicable story of developer abuse, there are hundreds of satisfied buyers."