Traffic laws question.

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Pintxo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Traffic laws question.

Postby Pintxo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:10 am

Hi,
I dont know whether I should be asking here or in the Motoring section.........

However, my/our/local problem is a motorbike repair shop (they also have a big moto showroom in the next street back) in our street. As usual the footpath runs right in front of his big workshop doors and he is forever parking and obstructing the pathway with bikes and scooters and a lot of clients turn up and completely block the pathway whilst talking to the mechanic owner. They will also do repairs on the pathway and on a number of occasions I with my three small Spanish grand daughters and my Spanish wife, along with elderly people, mothers with children and pushchairs, shopping etc have to walk in the road into oncoming traffic. This is a third line back and a one way street but does get extremely busy at times with bikes, cars, vans lorries etc etc.
My Spanish wife has complained to him on several occasions about blocking the pathway but to no avail. She has also been to the Policia Local to complain but they do nothing....as guess where they get their bikes repaired???
Now, I am fully understanding of how hard it is to run a business, been there, but, every night and every morning he wheels in and wheels out up to SIXTY assorted motos under repair, to park in the few moto spaces and handful of much need car parking spaces in the town and also on a pedestrian area adjacent. About 25% of these are scrap or redundant with parts, engines etc missing and no ITVs so basically he is using the street as storage during the day.
At night, he moves about two thirds of the machines indoors, the reast are spread along the length of the parking area with the last ones chained to posts so they cant be moved thus occupying this whole space 24/7/356. The pictures show a good day with just enough room to get a pushchair through.
I know how easy it is to start a war with your neighbours here so any suggestions as to how to tackle the problem would be welcome.
Attachments
IMG_20160720_110822.jpg
IMG_20160720_110803.jpg

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Traffic laws question.

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 am

Try Trafico division of the Guardia Civil.....no doubt many of these will have no ITV or have paid any road tax or insurance so should not be on the highway?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Pintxo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pintxo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:40 am

Tried that, GC say unless a vehicle is moving or being moved no ITV traffic violation is occurring. Hadnt thought about the tax dues or insurance, thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Local business equals no action even tho we are in 2016.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:19 pm

You could try talking with your Town Hall, about their use of a public footpath for business purposes.
Take some photographs with you. One with a mum and pram, or wheelchair, or small children, trying to negotiate the pathway might help.

Bad enough cafes taking over road space (which I guess some have permission for) but what you have there is in another league altogether.

Even if a traffic offence is not being committed (although surely Obstruction...), local mayors have considerable powers to regulate and fine traders for unacceptable activities, or siting of items associated with their business. They mayor might also feel he should make contact with GC, in his capacity.
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:53 pm

Before going further I should check if the owner is related to the mayor, or a councillor or police. If so, save yourself any more grief and forget it!

Pintxo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pintxo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Notes taken Torre de aguila and Peteoldracer...I am especially careful about your post pete, but my wife is Spanish and if something *beep* her off she wont let it go whether related to the mayor or not...a real Marilena. (no enye)
Just come home and taken a couple of snaps with the path completely blocked by bikes having quick repairs!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Pintxo wrote: (no enye)!!
If Windows, Alt 0241 for ñ, Alt 0209 for Ñ. Or on an iPad just change language to Spanish!

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:43 am

peteroldracer wrote:Before going further I should check if the owner is related to the mayor, or a councillor or police.
- y

They are certain to be, fallen foul of that several times here, cousins, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, second cousins, Fathers uncles, brothers cat - you are on a hiding to nothing

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:33 am

I wonder what would happen the next morning if a line of cars were parked up on that same pavement during the night?
Or some cones and a run of hazard tape - a less hazardous option.

Seriously, though, you should approach the Town Hall. Would be worth verifying that that pavement is indeed a public one, and not owned by the business. Town Hall will know this.

Another tack, if that fails, could be to let the local newspaper loose on it.
Chris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:04 pm

Did you ask any of the other residents for their opinion? be better if not take this on alone, just saying to be careful if you live there and everyone else "kosher" be better for you not have family isolated...
From the pics the situation seems very unreasonable...

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:16 am

Good advice. Don't go it alone. A group of residents approaching the Town Hall will be far more effective, and unlikely to be ignored. It also allows the Town Hall to say "We have received a number of complaints...".
Chris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:11 pm

I am mean old bast'rd but I will say this, have you considered purchasing a few lires of petrol and some matches ??

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Putting up with some minor inconvenience passing this spot is, I think better than spending many years playing leapfrog in the showers of Alhaurin jail.....?