LPG for Cars to run on in Spain?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
daneinspain
Resident

LPG for Cars to run on in Spain?

Postby daneinspain » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:55 pm

I have been in contact with all major Petrol Stations and all have replied saying they do not forsee distributing LPG in Spain.

Now, for those of you who don't know, LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) is a fuel for cars to run on that saves a lot of money and damage to the environment without losing any performance. As far as I know it is only possible on Petrol cars not diesel and requires a small thousand or so conversion.

I have heard something about taxi drivers using them but cant remember where this was. I want to ask if anyone knows anything further on this including the taxi driver thing.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:10 pm

90% OF taxis in Tokyo are LPG powered - they have little green cylinders in the boot and theres a few in France as well.

dont remember ever seeing any in Spain :oops:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:05 pm

It used to be that LPG was only for sale to PSV's inc taxis. However this site http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/spain.htm#lpg says the situation has now changed albeit that filling stations selling LPG to the public are few and far between.
Saw loads of LPG buses when in Barcelona last w'end!

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:35 pm

LPG is going to be short lived in terms of availability, its green yes but its still not that brilliant, very soon we are going to see electric cars out and about in their millions, the power cell or part hydrogen is the future, the only problem apart from so called safety issue is that it could start a revolution in the house hold too, get where Im going with this...

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:19 pm

get where Im going with this...
no

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:56 pm

samizdat wrote:
get where Im going with this...

no
Hydrogen is the future, even 32" LCD TVs can now run on 12volts, inother words the power home cell is not far off, Sweden has set in motion to be fossil fuel free by 2020, not bio fuels either

I'll dig up a link soon pointing to a comunity with secret power source that costs them nil to run and provides over 20kw of power, it uses speacial materials and magnets to generate electricity and costs zero to run and maintain..the future is going to hit us hard and fast, are we ready, I dont think so

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:14 pm

chrisuk wrote:get where Im going with this...
For an awful moment there Chris I thought LPG was going to be travelling in the van with you. :shock:

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:21 pm

I'll dig up a link soon pointing to a comunity with secret power source that costs them nil to run and provides over 20kw of power, it uses speacial materials and magnets to generate electricity and costs zero to run and maintain..the future is going to hit us hard and fast, are we ready, I dont think so
Chris,

People have been making such "free energy" claims for years and there are stories all over the web. I'd love it to be true but have never seen any evidence at all.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 pm

LPG is somewhat of a catch-22 situation...
all car owners aren't about to put, say, 1000 euros into
carburation conversion and an additional fuel tank if
the distributors aren't going to pump the fuel... and
the distributors aren't going to pump the fuel if
the owners don't convert their cars...

even if LPG systems were required by law and put in all new vehicles
they wouldn't generate enough revenue to justify the cost of distribution -

(for that you'd need the revenue from all vehicles - you couldn't eliminate
the sale of gas of diesel vehicles all together nor could you phase them out fast enough)

also, keep in mind, should we switch to this alternative fuel our use would be increased logarithmically and we'd be on the threshold of 2 empty tanks...

the only people who are able to set-up and use LPG systems are fleet operations...

LiLoLil
Tourist

Postby LiLoLil » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:12 am

[/quote]..the future is going to hit us hard and fast, are we ready, I dont think so[/quote]

Is it here already? :shock:

Not in Spain surely?!?!
:wink:

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:25 pm

Why was this reclassified into general? Its a question about LPG availablity in MALAGA which is in ANDALUCIA, which is RELEVANT to LIVING IN ANDALUCIA:

Anyway, Thank you for your responses.

I want LPG for my car, I know the cost I just want to find a place I can buy the fuel itself. How can I find fleet operators and buy lpg off them?

And regarding doubts over the distribution, it works in England ok it hasnt taken off but its available and I want it here. Im not talking about it becoming obligatory or some huge thing I just want it available

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Try asking Repsol, but there looks like there are only 4 outlets in Andalucia. You might have to go a away to get it, they are at Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba and Jerez.

901 100 125 - Autogas queries

901 10 15 20 - repsolypf.com user helpline

Telephone assistance timetable:
Monday to Friday, from 08:00 to 21:00.
Saturdays from 09:00 to 14:00.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:22 pm

nevada smith wrote:
the only people who are able to set-up and use LPG systems are fleet operations...
http://www.repsolypf.com/comunes/archiv ... _77374.pdf
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:34 pm

Much appreciated frank. thank you.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:23 am

What about biodiesel as an alternative then..here http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html you can find the instructions to make it yourself. :roll:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:39 pm

daneinspain wrote:Why was this reclassified into general? Its a question about LPG availablity in MALAGA which is in ANDALUCIA, which is RELEVANT to LIVING IN ANDALUCIA:

Anyway, Thank you for your responses.

I want LPG for my car, I know the cost I just want to find a place I can buy the fuel itself. How can I find fleet operators and buy lpg off them?

And regarding doubts over the distribution, it works in England ok it hasnt taken off but its available and I want it here. Im not talking about it becoming obligatory or some huge thing I just want it available
You are going to struggle in Spain with an LPG converted vehicle, given the lack of sophistication in the Spanish market. It may be possible to persuade Repsol to install a bulk tank and charge you the duty as part of your overall LPG price but your consumption would have to be over ten tonnes per annum (I'd have thought) to get them interested, otherwise this may help...

http://users.pandora.be/seabreeze/LPG%20Spanje.htm