uninstalling

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

uninstalling

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:56 pm

I'm trying to do some long overdue housekeeping by getting rid of programs I don't use. There are some (e.g. iPass) that don't show up on the 'ad/remove programs', or on RevoUninstall - how can I remove these ? I tried to remove software that is associated with a printer I no longer have, using the uninstall option from the start menu, but that comes up with an error message (ISO15 - GetModelInformation - 7)

Also, there are some programs with names I don't recognise - apart from opening them in turn how can I find out what they are for/do ? Google the name ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: uninstalling

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Are the programs you are trying to uninstall 32 bit or 64 bit?
The free version of RevoUninstall doesn't "see" 64 bit programs, the paid for version does.
Iobit uninstaller from http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php is a good free uninstaller.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Sometimes it's just better to reinstall Windows and start again. it's much easier with Windows 10 than before which allows you to keep all your files.
Just in case, you should back them up to a partition, a hard drive or the cloud before you start.

Then go to settings>update and security>recovery and click into the reset this PC option (Get Started). In the new window click Keep my Files.
When it's completed, just install the programs you need, For example use windows print drivers and download the windows scan app from the app store to avoid bloated software which will just slow your PC down.

Unless you are a photo buff, use Google photos to help you organise your photos which is all done on the cloud.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi chrissiehope,
Some light reading..........should be within your pay grade........... :D

For programs not showing up in Add/Remove Programs.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/247515
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks guys

Gerry - I'm not sure - I guess Enrique would have a better idea as he has seen the inner workings !!!
Mark - sorry, not a chance - I'm on Windows XP, and I wouldn't dare try uninstalling & reinstalling Windows :-)
Enrique - I'll take a look tomorrow.

I thought it would be a nice little job to get done over the holiday weekend - yeah, right !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:29 pm

gerryh wrote:Are the programs you are trying to uninstall 32 bit or 64 bit?
The free version of RevoUninstall doesn't "see" 64 bit programs, the paid for version does.
Iobit uninstaller from http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php is a good free uninstaller.
Cheers
Gerry
I didn't know that about 64 bit and free RevoUninstall. Thanks Gerry.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi C M,
You would easily see that "Feature" of the Free version if you use it on 64bit system as the 64bit programs would be missing.
I use it on 64bit systems..might lash out on a copy for my new system...........had a busman's holiday over the Bank Holiday weekend and put one together from selected bits.......What a change from my 12year old hand me downs......., near silent and super fast.... :D

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Some programmes have there own uninstall folder contained within. If you navigate to the programme's main folder, open that you may find an "uninstall..." application file there.

Another option, especially with printer and anti-virus programmes is obtaining a "cleaner" download from the provider. You then run that and it cleans out everything to do with that programme.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:22 am

Chunky Monky wrote:
gerryh wrote:Are the programs you are trying to uninstall 32 bit or 64 bit?
Cheers
Gerry
I didn't know that about 64 bit and free RevoUninstall. Thanks Gerry.
I believe the latest version Ver 2.0 of the free version of RevoUninstall does now "see" 64 bit programs.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:23 am

Good info Gerry............

"Revo Uninstaller Free is fully compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server "

When running Revouninstaller let it complete, the Uninstaller from the program may want to Reboot before Revo has finished.