Almeria city visit

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Almeria city visit

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:44 pm

We are going to spend a couple of nights just outside Almeria city in a few weeks time and plan to have few hours sightseeing and lunch in the city centre on one of the days. I've seen that you can walk around the Alcazaba, and there are the usual churches/cathedral to visit but does anyone have any other recommendations?

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Almeria city visit

Postby baroness » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:23 pm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... lucia.html. Well worth a visit to the tunnels, centre of city.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:08 pm

Wins my vote for the ugliest area of plastic greenhouses ever seen. I am always glad to be past it when travelling the A7.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:52 am

Almeria City is quite an interesting place to visit and as you are aware there are some excellent museums and art galleries to visit, however if you only have a few hours of sightseeing time I would suggest that you just walk around and explore the many little side streets with the more 'local' tapas bars and small shops and just 'soak up' the culture and the history that is all around you.

And may I wish you a very pleasant and relaxing mini holiday . :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks Gordon. I know the area is very much covered in plastic as we've been past there a few times but the idea was to see something of the city and the Cabo de Gato too just for a short break away. I have read of the history of how people walked from Malaga to Almeria during the Civil War and were bombed, and it seems that the tunnels are a part of that history so are worth a visit too. I have been inland before to the wild west town etc so this is a chance to visit the city.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:32 pm

We stayed overnight in almeria a year or so back. While its certainly not malaga etc imo its still worth an over night visit.the alcazar is huge and is worth the trip alone.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:14 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Wins my vote for the ugliest area of plastic greenhouses ever seen. I am always glad to be past it when travelling the A7.
Whilst I agree with you, when I was driving back down from the Costa Blanca there was nothing but high rise flats and concrete either side of the road and it was a relief even to get into Almeria with all its plastic.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:14 pm

I agree with you Elusive that the alcazaba was the highlight of the trip. It is huge and we took so long walking around it we didn't have much time left the first day to see much else, so went back the second day. Didn't make it to the siege tunnels although on Tripadvisor they say that the guided tour is only in Spanish and we cannot keep up well enough with that so we gave it a miss.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Hopefully you went into some of the tapas bars. I am sure you did. Very good and still very very cheap.

Hopefully you made it to the Cabo de Gata. Quite lovely there.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Wicksey wrote:We are going to spend a couple of nights just outside Almeria city in a few weeks time and plan to have few hours sightseeing and lunch in the city centre on one of the days. I've seen that you can walk around the Alcazaba, and there are the usual churches/cathedral to visit but does anyone have any other recommendations?
Just come back from a few days stay in Almeria city. Well worth a visit, I concur that it is not on a par with Malaga but is well worth a couple of days.

The Alcazaba is a must and entry is free for EU citizens ( so get there quick!). It is closed on Mondays as are a lot of this type of attraction. We visited the 'Casa del Cine' a house restored and dedicated to the history of film making in Almeria. Lots of audio visual presentations which was presented in english for us. Its in this house that John Lennon penned 'Strawberry Fields' whilst filming ' How I won the War', a film I have not seen and probably never will!

Hotels and eating out are very reasonable.

Edit.
The 'Casa del Cine' is in the city, not out in the desert! My TomTom parked me at the front door. Its number 13 but my Tom Tom only went up to no.7!
Gerry

CurtThoughts
Tourist

Postby CurtThoughts » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Go check out Plaza de las Flores while you're there. There's an awesome statue of John Lennon playing a guitar. It's worth getting a free photo there :)