Import tax on your belongings - Removals!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
telboy
Resident

Import tax on your belongings - Removals!

Postby telboy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:01 pm

My brother and his wife are moving to Spain at the end of the year from Australia.

They've had a quote from one removals company for shipping their goods. This particular company stated that they may be taxed on their goods being imported into Spain, and that it only happens in Spain.

Does anyone know whether there is any truth this :?: If yes, what is likely to be taxed if not everything :?:

terry

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Import tax on your belongings - Removals!

Postby firsttango » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:12 pm

A friend of ours is looking to do similar but from the U.S the below link may point you in the right direction especially last few paragraphs.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-sp ... oms-duties

http://spainbox.com/mailboxes/duty-and- ... pean-union

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:35 pm

firsttango - Cheers :thumbup: - I'll forward it on to them.

terry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:05 pm

telboy wrote: This particular company stated that they may be taxed on their goods being imported into Spain, and that it only happens in Spain.

terry
Importing goods from a non EU country into a EU country will be subject to import duty.
It is not a case of "and that it only happens in Spain"

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Not necessarily. If they are imported as part of your "goods and chattels" when you come to live permanently in Spain, they will be exempt from tax. That's why you can bring a previously owned car into Spain and not pay the normal matriculation tax.

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:10 pm

We arrived from Venezuela in 2000. Our furniture, personal goods and chattels were subject to a large amount of tax, which we did not know about before.
Fortunately the company my husband worked for paid the costs or they would not let us remove them from store at the port of Algerciras.
As I recall, the goods were delivered to the house we had bought and we had moved here permanently after living in a rental nearby for a few months prior to purchase.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:15 pm

El Cid wrote:Not necessarily. If they are imported as part of your "goods and chattels" when you come to live permanently in Spain, they will be exempt from tax. That's why you can bring a previously owned car into Spain and not pay the normal matriculation tax.

Sid
This was my experience when moving here from the Far East a couple of years ago; i.e. an EU national returning to live in the EU, hence the "goods and chattels" were imported tax-free by the removal company (Allied Pickfords).