Monarch rumours (again)

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Monarch rumours (again)

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:10 am

I hope the old "no smoke without fire" saying does not come in to play here, flying out in a fortnight :roll:

Some of the comments whether they be BS or not seem worrying though.

What do you reckon?

http://tinyurl.com/jgyvukm
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Monarch rumours (again)

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:48 pm

I think you will get away without any problems, i have seen the same rumours regarding Monarch in other news sources but i think it will be some time before they go out of operation if they ever do..

My family and i travelled with them for this first time this summer when they opened a new route from Leeds to Malaga, as usual when airlines open new routes they offer good prices until the route is established but having checked the same dates for next summer with Monarch the price has risen by £100 per person and more expensive than Easyjet, Jet2 and of course Ryanair. Most people want to get from A to B as cheaply as possible so perhaps part of their problem is that they are not as competitive as the other airlines i've mentioned...Having said that the seating and leg room on Monarch was so much more comfortable than any of the other 3 airlines i've travelled with and when you are travelling with small children as we were it made all the difference...I really do hope they manage to sort out their problems and survive...

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks Pamela, it seems Monarch have now got the funding needed from the parent company, I suppose the power of the internet adds so much fuel to these stories too. It really seemed like it was curtains for them yesterday if you read all the details about the fleet of "shadow" wide bodied jets ready and waiting to airlift stranded passengers. I hope they continue with the business for years to come.

I also agree Monarch are often slightly more expensive than their rivals, however we've used them for 11 years now since BA stopped their Man-AGP service and have had no cause for complaint/concern (apart from the one time an engine blew up and caught fire on take off from Malaga :mrgreen: ), that's another story lol.

Seating comfort and legroom has, as you rightly say become more than adequate since they retro fitted the new, slim line and none reclining leather seats.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Well have a good flight and i hope you have a great holiday.. :)

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:10 pm

I hope that funding has definitely come through DA (I hadn't seen any confirmation of that) as I've got a soft spot for Monarch and have always had good service from them over the years. They're last of the old gang from my younger years of holidays in in the sun - Britannia, Laker, Dan Dare, etc. (had my first ever flight on a Comet operated by the latter airline). But I digress (just having an Al Stewart Time Passages moment there).

Apparently the crux of the matter is the renewal of the airline's ATOL certificate, which ironically is the thing that protects customers if the airline goes bust. It's due for renewal at the end of the week, requiring a significant payment from the airline into the bond fund, hence the long discussions with the CAA over the weekend. So as long as there are tickets being offered for sale by Monarch, you're money is safe if the worst happened, which I expect we all hope will not. Remember when Low Cost Holidays went bust - they weren't ATOL bonded and I believe a lot of people lost their money, unlike Monarch who are behaving more responsibly.

There was a lot of activity on a certain airline rumours site on Sunday night, with spotters pointing out the 'shadow' flights. Unfortunately Some of the comments there and elsewhere demonstrated the kind of rubber-necking style schadenfreude that could itself cause immense damage to the airline in its own right. For the sake of the thousands of employees, as well as everyone who has booked tickets, I hope Monarch weathers this storm.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:20 am

Good post Terry :thumbup:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:13 am

Yes, good post Terry. I'd be fascinated to hear your recollections of that flight you had on the Comet. What a gorgeous looking aircraft.

Air travel certainly wasn't for the masses then I'll bet, what was service like on board?

Thanks Pamela for that, nice one.!

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 am

Further news on Monarch Airlines. See link below and comment.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mark ... uptcy.html

Monarch - Air Operators Licence runs out on Friday

Unquote

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Monarch has been given 12 days to show thay will have enough funds to allow them to be part of ABTA/ATOL

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Monarch seem to be desperately trying to sell seats at very low prices and for some months ahead. Anyone prepared to risk that they may go belly-up could pick up a bargain.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Anyone buying a ticket will be ATOL protected so they will get the cost refunded or repatriated if already abroad