buying beds and bedding

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
steve shaw
Tourist

buying beds and bedding

Postby steve shaw » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:24 am

Have just completed on a house new Alozaina. Can anyone tell me where I can buy mattresses and bedding on the way from Malaga airport to get us started.

Thanks

Steve

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: buying beds and bedding

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:35 am

Hi steve shaw,
Best to bring a sleeping bag and take your time looking once you get to your new location, rushing to buy beds is not a good plan........different sizes to UK and base types. Then there are the mattress types...............it can get quite warm out here in the summer........ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:04 am

Yes, mattresses are important, especially a large one, all the Spanish mayors use them to keep their ill gotten gains in! :lolno: A "colchón económico" very often means just that in Spain. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:10 am

Ikea close to the airport,have vac packed mattress and reasonable bedding?

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:03 pm

And if you are buying beds make sure that you include the legs for the bases - often sold separately!!

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Initally i had intended to buy everything in Ikea on arrival hire a van and bring it all up and a friend said to me i may as well call it the "Ikea house"
i am sure there is a furniture shop in the town and i think if you explain your suituation they will deliver it immediately though it would probably be better if you could ask someone to mention it in advance.
my own suituation was similar to yours but as my flight arrived on Saturday i had to put the bed on the roof of the hire car as the delivery guys did not work on Saturday afternoon.
i am also inland 100km and from my experience comparing with other people on price, quality + delivery cost i think i have got better value and much better quality than Ikea, also the place i bought from assembled the furniture which worked out better as they made sure the wardrobes were even on the floor and not wobbling all over the place.
in the end i bought everything in two of the furniture shops in town.

hope this helps

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm

We used these people, as we didn't have a clue as to where to go - found them on the internet and e-mailed backwards and forwards before visiting the store, they are very helpful and we were pleased with our purchases although I'm sure we could have bought cheaper elsewhere. We just wanted our totally empty house furnished asap. http://madaboutfurniture.com/

As we bought pretty much all our furniture there, they didn't charge us for delivery, not sure whether they would charge to deliver just beds, but might be worth e-mailing to find out.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Our furniture has all been bought at local shops, usually delivered and assembled within hours of purchase, one time the man actually arrived at our house before we arrived back home :lol: :lol:

steve shaw
Tourist

Postby steve shaw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 pm

thanks to all - I think I'll stop off at Ikea for the basics

shellygabrieal

Postby shellygabrieal » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:12 am

You do check http://www.zuhni.com/hampton-hill because there rates are quite reasonable then the other home ware stores.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 am

We bought all our beds, mattresses,wardrobes,bedding, drawers, pots, pans,etc etc at Ikea and have never regreted doing so...One of the beds is a storage bed and is fantastic quality and great for storing all the winter bedding...

Because our house is a holiday home for the present future we did not have the time to mess about shopping from place to place to furnish the house so I booked a personal shopper at Ikea via email and went to Ikea straight from the airport...It was the best thing we did, the young girl was great and fast tracked us to everything we needed on our long shopping list and she also did all the admin work..she arranged delivery and we opted for all our items to be assembled..Everything went smoothly...Our house was already part furnished ie kitchen table chairs, living room furniture but Ikea had everything else we needed. I appreciate it's not for everyone but it suited our circumstances.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:11 am

Steve , what everyone else has said is great advice but from experience i would do a temporary fix then look round. Use your local shops etc., its amazing how quickly you make friends and get some great deals into the bargain. Good hunting.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:33 am

Ikea coming up as a best buy for mattresses in Which magazine trumping some of the dearer makes

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:49 am

I have recently bought a Hovag pocket sprung mattress from Ikea and I am very pleased with it. They do a wide range of different ones, and this one comes in firm and medium-firm. As we like different firmness of mattress my OH and I have two singles together so he is going to buy the medium firm now that I have 'road tested' and approved the firm one!

One of the attractions was the price (149€) and the fact it is rolled up so easy to get into the car. It has a 25 year guarantee and also you can return it any time up to a year. Just check the sizes you want as mentioned earlier, they do come in a variety of different lengths and widths. Some mattresses seem to be extremely deep nowadays as well and I'm not sure our (Dunnes) fitted sheets would have fitted anything bigger than the Hovag.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Do note that all ikea beds sold in Spain are 2m long and not the standard 1.9m in the U.K. Best to buy your sheets from ikea as well.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:57 pm

They're not ... my one is 190 x 90cm. Look at the website and the drop down list of sizes for each mattress and many do come in the 190 length.

ashtondav
Resident

Re: buying beds and beddin

Postby ashtondav » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:19 pm

I stand corrected, you are quite correct. I'm sure when I was looking last year they were 200.

My mistake - I would have bought from them had I realised and saved a few quid. Grrrrrrr

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:42 pm

After my posting here a couple of months ago we bought a king size mattress from Bufalo in Velez Malaga , free delivery ,thank God it was ,it would not go up the stairs so had to go via the roof terrace and then down to the bedroom ,the 2 of us would have not been able to do it ouselves.
kerbut

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: buying beds and beddin

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:53 pm

ashtondav wrote:I stand corrected, you are quite correct. I'm sure when I was looking last year they were 200.

My mistake - I would have bought from them had I realised and saved a few quid. Grrrrrrr
Looking at the website I notice that all of the examples on the main listing page are 200cm so perhaps it gave the impression that was the standard length. There are a few that do only come in that length for same reason, but they have a good size range generally.

Ha ha Kerbut .... that's why we bought the one that is rolled up. Mind you, you have to stand clear when you cut through the vacuum pack when you open it as it suddenly unravels into its full size .... clever stuff!

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Our previous one ,not King size was a roll up one ,as you say very clever ,but I found it to hot to get a good nights sleep on . The one we bought was only a cheepie but for 90 days a year will be fine
kerbut