Chirimoyas and their stones

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Chirimoyas and their stones

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:15 pm

As much as I like chirimoyas, their stones are a pain. I wonder if they can produce a stoneless variety in the fashion of seedless grapes and pip-less water melons. We have just had one that had 102 stones in it (sad I know, but we can't help counting them!)

swerve
Resident

Re: Chirimoyas and their stones

Postby swerve » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:45 am

Plant the seeds.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Wicksey wrote:As much as I like chirimoyas, their stones are a pain. I wonder if they can produce a stoneless variety in the fashion of seedless grapes and pip-less water melons. We have just had one that had 102 stones in it (sad I know, but we can't help counting them!)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:08 am

104! :clap:

Just as well they were reduced to only a euro a kilo in Mercadona when we bought ours, it's otherwise an expensive way of buying a bag of stones :lol:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:44 am

Put some of the seeds in damp paper towel and put in a zippy bag. Leave on a window sill not in direct sunlight and wait.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:04 pm

We have got one chirimoya tree but it only produces one tiny fruit each year. I think they are slow to start producing as a friend has had one for about 15 years and they are lucky to get more than a few fruit each year. It sounds like we could have an orchard for free but it would be some time before we are enjoying any of its fruit!