Urgent Medical query.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
TerryP
Andalucia.com Amigo

Urgent Medical query.

Postby TerryP » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:52 pm

I have recently been diagnosed as having a rare form of stomach cancer.
There is only one drug that can save me. It is available in Spain, but costs 2500 euros a month. I will need it indefinitely. I have private medical insurance, but they are refusing to cover me. I am not officially employed, although I work, commission only for a Spanish estate agency without any sort of contract. I have enquired about getting on to the Spanish social security system, but have been told that it will cost 300 euros per month plus 80 euros per month accountants charges i.e. declaring myself as self employed. Having no real income to speak of even that sort of outlay is a bit worrying. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. If it has any bearing on the situation I am 58, have been in Spain for two years, and have a residencia.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:06 pm

TerryP,

Very sorry to hear of your bad news.

Is there no chance of the private medical insurance company paying out? What is their excuse for not paying?

Failing that, can you find out if the drug is available on the NHS in the UK?

It might be time to get back to the UK now.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Sorry about your illness. A friend who had to pay 50 euros a week here went to see her old doctor in the UK and he prescribes 3 monthly for her. Depends on the UK doctor though. Hope everything goes ok for you.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:30 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote:TerryP,

Failing that, can you find out if the drug is available on the NHS in the UK?

It might be time to get back to the UK now.
Not sure how easy it is to get back into UK health system once Residencia obtained see British embassy web site ukinspain.com.

What is the name of the chemo? I can look it up for you and its availabilty in UK.

Mike

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:03 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote:TerryP,

Is there no chance of the private medical insurance company paying out? What is their excuse for not paying?
Probably the same as mine, they class it as a "chronic" problem (ie. something that one operation won't cure, something that may require subsequent treatment) and even though you've been paying for 25 years or so, and simply refuse any further treatment! ;-) They don't need an excuse, it's all there in the small print. Private medical insurance is great if you're healthy!
Terry, you have my sympathy.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:04 pm

Sorry to hear of your illnes, this puts me into rage when I read when a company wont do this or that, its all fine when you are paying though, they'll glady take your hard earned salary, if I had alot of money I would somehow help...