Any Monarch regulars?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Any Monarch regulars?

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Our granddaughter is flying tomorrow with her baby (aged one) using Monarch for the first time....Ryanair and Jet2 have never said anything about her having a baby bag with essentials in, in addition to the normal cabin bag and baby buggy but on checking in today she found all sorts of "you cannot take this" warnings. Does anyone have any experience of how strict Monarch are at Málaga?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Any Monarch regulars?

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 pm

My family and i travelled with Monarch in July from Leeds to Malaga with a 1yr old and he too was allowed a cabin bag allowance..My daughter in law packed the usual essentials in the baby bag and i can't recall her saying anything about restrictions..Everything went smoothly at check in, both outbound and inbound..

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Their website says that you only get a 10kg allowance for an infant if you have paid to check in a case....this seems a bit mean if they apply the rules strictly, especially as the low-cost airlines have nudged cajoled and bullied travellers into only having cabin bags! I was just querying if anyone knew how strict they were....
The other side of the story is that last week this lad's brother, 4 in January, flew to Murcia with his other grandparents using Jet2. Admittedly the aircraft was far from full thus giving the crew a relaxed time, and the cabin crew let Harry give out the scratchcards, then the captain came and sat and chatted with him, and best of all when they had landed they took him onto the flight deck and sat him at the controls for photographs.....superb customer service!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Peter, I have just looked at their site and yes you are correct..however when we booked the flight in Sept 2015 i'm sure the 10kg was standard for infants but i am not a 100% positive...It also appears by their site that the general luggage allowance is 20kg but you can add more for a fee, when we booked it was 23kg so things must have changed...Having said that you mentioned about the superb customer service with Jet 2 and how the crew had treated the youngster...Monarch had done the same with my 4yr old Grandson this year in July..The captain sat him on his seat in the cockpit and pointed out the flight deck controls to him, he had a great time and we have a video of him....Without sounding like i'm knocking Jet2 with whome i've flown on many occasions i could not fault Monarch..No one should need to book extra leg room with them because the seats and space are exceptional compared to the other low cost carriers...Just a shame Monarch have now become much more expensive than the others although Jet2 are not as good on price either as they once were...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Worry over....the very nice man on the checkin desk agreed to put the cabin bag in the hold at no charge, and nothing was said about the babybag...I daresay the rules are there in case they are needed but a sweet smile from the granddaughter was probably the key...
A full aircraft in the heat if summer and a stroppy passenger might get a different result.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:41 pm

I almost always use Monarch for flights to the UK, and they often ask at the departure gate if any passengers would like to have their hand luggage put in the hold, at no extra charge, particularly when the flight is full. I take them up on it because I've always checked in a suitcase anyway so having to wait for baggage to come off the carousel is not holding me up.