Barcelona hits Airbnb and Homeaway with Massive fines

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Stevemul
Resident

Barcelona hits Airbnb and Homeaway with Massive fines

Postby Stevemul » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:13 pm

http://www.thelocal.es/20161124/barcelo ... b-homeaway

Sign of things to come in Andalucia?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Barcelona hits Airbnb and Homeaway with Massive fines

Postby Lavanda » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:31 pm

Seems reasonable to me.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Here's the Telegraph report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11 ... mmodation/

Serves the b*ggers right, ignoring national laws. Its about time those owners who spend time and money complying with the law are rewarded and others penalised.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Quite right - it encourages the tax dodgers and, of course, we all end up paying for it.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:57 am

Also which country do folk pay their tax in. Another thing is that there are scammers on airbnb which are not effectively regulated

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:23 pm

Whilst I totally agree that anyone renting out all or part of their property should comply with the law and local regulations, I don't think it's right to completely condemn Airbnb. In the same way that eBay has allowed buyers and sellers worldwide to make contact, Airbnb has created many opportunities for people to rent out their spare rooms and for travellers to stay in affordable accommodation. I've used it a number of times when travelling to other countries and have always had a good experience, meeting some nice people in the process.

I seem to remember reading on this forum a while back about a tightening up of the regulations for renting out rooms and properties on a short term basis. IIRC, this was at least partly due to the hotels lobbying the authorities in order to (perhaps) stifle the competition. What's the consensus on this - are the current regulations too onerous, or are they reasonable?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:46 pm

The law is the law. You rent out property, you comply with the law.

End of.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:12 pm

If you want an economy to work in a regulated manner then you need to have a fair and equitable tax system which everyone adheres to. As soon as you have someone who feels they do not need to pay their dues the system starts to fail.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:33 pm

The places I have rented via Airbnb in Spain/Canaries have asked me for copies of our passports so I guess that is for declaring their guests. Surely it is the individuals that are renting out their properties that should be targeted byt the local councils concerned. Airbnb (like all the other rental sites) cover countries around the world and I imagine the rental home rules are different everywhere, so I think it would be hard for the rental site to enforce the rules.

We always book self catering as we don't like staying in hotels and we have always found places to rent, including years ago before the internet and sites such as these. We came across obnoxious people staying in nearby accommodation donkeys years ago, it's not just now with Airbnb that you get horrible tourists (although I have yet to come across naked Italians "frolicking"!)

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm

gus wrote:If you want an economy to work in a regulated manner then you need to have a fair and equitable tax system which everyone adheres to. As soon as you have someone who feels they do not need to pay their dues the system starts to fail.

See Greece for a shining example on how to screw up you own economy!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 pm

See the rich tax avoiders everywhere