Renfe website

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Renfe website

Postby elusive » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:05 am

Im using the mobile version of the site so maybe the desktop is better but is it just me but its really confusing and difficult to use. Looking at trains to valencia. Seems you have to change in either madrid or cordoba. How long in advance can you look up dates and is there a way you can look at month to month dates to see which is the cheapest dates as when i put in random dates the prices vary alot. Then theres all the diff ticket types that i dont understand (except for the dorada one)

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Renfe website

Postby Free at Last » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:44 am

I think the web fares are only made available 40 days in advance so you can't find them any earlier than about 6 weeks before your planned travel date, nor compare month to month dates to find the cheapest. The ticket types are Turista (second class). Turista Plus (you get a seat in the Preferente coach but none of the other frills) and Preferente (first class - more room, more comfortable seats, and on AVE services you get a glass of cava or juice on boarding, a free (Spanish) newspaper, a 3 course airline style meal (and the meals aren't bad) with a 25cl bottle of wine, coffee and a liqueur). The web fares can often be cheaper than using a Tarjeta Dorada on the standard fare.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks. Thats a great help

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:42 am

Correct Free at Last. In addition at certain times of the year when the timetables change (Summer/Winter/etc) you cannot book anything as the timetables are not 'known' until they are posted. It's a bit old-fashioned yet the site, in English, is actually good compared with some bus sites!!!

CielodeCadiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CielodeCadiz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:56 am

Yes, if you try to go too far in advance for most trains, it won't give you any results as the timetable is "unknown".

It does pay to time it right (45-60 days in advance) as the web fares bought in advance can be less than 40% of the standard fare.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:52 am

I think it is a terrible website. Not very user friendly.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 pm

It's not so bad. There's one bus site that refuses to acknowledge 'Madrid' as a destination or a starting point. You have to enter 'Estacion Sur Madrid'. As if everyone knows that!!!