Leaving Andalucia....

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leaving Andalucia....

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:39 am

It is nice to see the good wishes...I am twitching still until all the deal is done!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:48 am

I'll be the same shortly I hope when ours gets a bite. It went up for sale last week and has had 2 viewings already, probably day trippers if truth be known.

Keep us posted with the trials and tribulations of the sale please as it will all be valuable info. for myself and others.

Fingers tightly crossed for you!!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:45 pm

peteroldracer wrote:It is nice to see the good wishes...I am twitching still until all the deal is done!
You are doing the right thing. The secret is to do it before it is forced on you. Some friends have just sold their big house and are moving to an apartment in town before old age and wonky knees forces them to do so.

Best of luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sid

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Simon is a great guy and a great estate agent. We were up around the Mar Menor earlier in the year , stayed a few days in San Pedro Del Pinitar which we liked, although I have seen a few people slag it off, it seemed fine to us.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 pm

all the best peter. (and you will be glad to know that the local police have been confiscating english cars at the airport for a few days now ;) ) :thumbup:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:24 pm

jogger wrote:... stayed a few days in San Pedro Del Pinitar...

Is the romanian woman still begging outside lidl? and the nightclub next door still kicking out at 0600? :wtf: :wave: :lolno: :lolno:

i was working up there a few years ago, we laid all the grass on the big golf course down the road. a few million square metres of it :wtf: :wtf:

it seemed like a nice place, alot of people in the town worked at san javier airport, theres a big opening for a car park up there if you are looking to make a million ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:42 pm

No idea about the Romanian woman or the night club, we stayed in a nice hotel and found it to be quiet at night. Last week we spent a few days in El Grande, vrooom vrooom went the kids on their mopeds :) :) :wtf:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:05 pm

An update - we are signing the private sale contract on Thursday, and banking the 10% deposit. Still with fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong (though the recent floods in the Mar Menor area have been a shock!), we are now faced with packing.
Does anyone know of a supplier of boxes at fair prices locally (Velez-Málaga area)?
All the shops now seem to have recycling organised, so we have not seen piles of cardboard containers around as there used to be.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:00 pm

If you're using a removal company, they will surely supply all the packaging you need? If not, I think many of them will supply boxes anyway. Is this any help? http://www.container-storage.com/selfpack.html
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 pm

I wish you all the best luck in the world Peter....however i do love my own county and the culture aswell as the lanvuage..thats what i find hard to give up,,,sunshine isn't everything !!!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:19 pm

When I shipped a load of stff back to UK, my Spanish friend told ne to ask the local supermarket (in this case Mercadona) who get part-baked bread delivered daily, to save the boxes for me. They were a bit 'floury', so I was careful to dust off as much as possible, & made sure anything that might be affected (clothes) were in plastic bags. :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:22 pm

I called in at one of the large Chinese shops today and bought 10 used but good cartons for 50c each.....some bubble wrap, tape and dispenser and we are off and running. Most of the supermarkets seem to have a recycling/disposal system in place, and I am a bit beyond grovelling in skips and rubbish dumpsters for stuff these days!
Although I will get quotes from removers I think (particularly as we are selling most furniture with the house) the easiest way is to hire a Transit type van and get someone from near here to help load then drive it up, following us in the car - at approx 100 Euros a day plus whatever the mate wants - even if it needs a night's accomodation it will work out better value. We can fill suitcases with clothes and black bag bedding etc so the plan seems to be coming together.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:43 pm

The Chinese shops here also sell those vacuum bags for clothing, bedding etc., which save a lot of space when packing

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Peter, good luck for your move; I hope you'll still continue to post here.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Well, things are moving apace! I drove up to Murcia region on Sunday, started serious look at short-list from Internet, usual problems agents getting hold of vendors, "that one's sold" etc. I had made life more difficult for myself by OH not being able to come with me (19-year-old cat we don't want to put in cold cattery). Top of OH's list, contact numbers not known, was on another agent's site, so I viewed this morning, haggled on price, got offer accepted and paid €3000 'primera arras' to get it off the market and get the private contracts drawn up and to be signed (needs OH to get power if attorney or we must come back up here and pay balance of 10% deposit within ten days. So we have bought a house! I spent longer researching choice of new car!
Moving from one region to another causes some problems here, as the sale of ours must be completed before a notary in our area, then we are homeless in effect, and the money takes time to clear, even if transfer or banker's draft, before we can pay full purchase of new house....this means our van load of personal effects has nowhere to go until we get the keys. We can stay in an hotel (as long as it accepts cats, or cat goes into cattery up here) and as yet I cannot find self-storage in this area of Los Alcázares. Maybe, just maybe the vendors will allow us to put our boxes of goods and chattels in the house before we complete...we shall see! I have booked into a good hotel here for the extra night, needing to wind down before the 400km drive home....

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Congratulations - I hope everything else goes to plan :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 am

Congratulations. Did you find a house in the area you wanted?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Miro wrote:The Chinese shops here also sell those vacuum bags for clothing, bedding etc., which save a lot of space when packing
We bought a couple of the aforementioned vacuum bags from the local Chinese shop for €2.50 and filled them with bedding, towels, pillows etc. Sucked the air out of them and stuck them on top of the wardrobe. By the next morning, they had bloated up and were jammed against the ceiling. :crazy:
Talking to a removals guy the other day when getting a quote for our move from Andalucia (to UK), he advised us not to use them, for that very reason. But of course he would, they charge by volume! We went to IKEA and bought another two bags for €6.99, and they're holding their own so far. You get what you pay for.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Well we are there....or more accurately here!
Anyone needing removals should have no worries about using Moovit.biz. We had boxed all bar a few items, and Guido and his henchman shifted all 24 cu.m (!) from upstairs, downstairs, shed and garden rapidly and cheerfully into a van and trailer, kept it at their base for two nights to allow for completion of our purchase by a consultora in front of a notary, then brought it all, on time, and put it all into the house. Even though a lot of stuff had to go up 2 floors, all was done cheerfully and willingly.
We were happy with the price, and so far we have not come across anything cracked or broken.
Now the work begins in earnest getting things clean and stuff put away.....
We have tv in (55 channels) and wifi internet, a washing machine and new oven come Tuesday, I have fixed a dodgy cistern and installed a drain for the washer. The Town Hall quickly dealt with change of Padron and sold us the certificate needed to register at the health centre, are dealing with change of address for car tax and driving licences, so we are getting through the paperwork.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Sounds like everything has gone through very smoothly Peter. Keep us posted .....