Bristol Airport Security

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Bristol Airport Security

Postby Lavanda » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Airport security just gets better and better. In spite of taking off everything required I set off the 'beep' on going through the scanners. I then had to go into the box thing and raise my arms while the scanners whizzed around (the NHS could do with a few of these things I think). Still not satisfied an ernest young woman gave me the body search thing. I was expecting the 'wand' or a gentle pat down but, lo and behold (very seasonal) I got her hands in my bra cups rummaging around. I can't imagine what she was looking for as there's not much extra room in my cups but it was a whole new experience, I can tell you. Did I feel 'violated'? Nope. It's 21st century travel — but it was a bit surprising, to put it mildly.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bristol Airport Security

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:58 pm

She may have been getting a cheap thrill LOL

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Lavanda wrote:Airport security just gets better and better. In spite of taking off everything required I set off the 'beep' on going through the scanners. I then had to go into the box thing and raise my arms while the scanners whizzed around (the NHS could do with a few of these things I think). Still not satisfied an ernest young woman gave me the body search thing. I was expecting the 'wand' or a gentle pat down but, lo and behold (very seasonal) I got her hands in my bra cups rummaging around. I can't imagine what she was looking for as there's not much extra room in my cups but it was a whole new experience, I can tell you. Did I feel 'violated'? Nope. It's 21st century travel — but it was a bit surprising, to put it mildly.
I had exactly the same experience coming back through Manchester airport yesterday (after having had to queue for absolutely ages to get through security). The female security officer also ran her hands around the inside of the waistband of my trousers (after warning me she was going to). It is certainly the most thorough search I've ever been subjected to. I wouldn't complain either, though.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Unprecedented terror threat level UK.

No matter how thorough the security , sadly it is just a matter of time.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Are you always that cheerful?

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Current Terror Threat Levels are NOT Unprecedented as of today it's Severe, however on occasions in the last 10 years the level was above today at "Critical" and in operational terms there is a vast difference between the two levels.

Costakid :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Yes. It was clear the security was extra thorough and some people were almost indecent going through the security scanners having removed heaps of clothes and belts. One guy was holding on to his trousers and I wondered what would happen if he had to go in the scanner where you have to lift your arms. Sadly he didn't have to do that!!!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:26 am

I did wonder how the security officers would cope with having to conduct this level of searching if they had to stop some of the very obese people you see travelling. The prospect of having to delve beneath all those rolls of flab ----- aaargh1 Not a pretty sight for those waiting behind them in the queue, either.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:18 am

Hey Lavanda, I was going to make a light-hearted comment about whether you still managed to smuggle the Christmas pudding through, but then I thought I'd better not, in case it was interpreted as rude. :)
costakid wrote:She may have been getting a cheap thrill LOL
Well it wouldn't be the first time that happened. Back in my days of constant air travel around Asia, USA, etc. I was sometimes (inevitably) called aside for the 'personalised' body search. On one occasion I received an extra little 'squeeze' before being sent on my way - I was somewhat in shock so I decided it would be best to just proceed and collect my bag. One of the scariest experiences was in Auckland when I got taken away to a special room. On the shelf under the counter was a box of rubber gloves and some KY jelly. Fortunately they just wanted to inspect my laptop bag in more detail. Phew!

Oh, and NEVER try to be humourous (or humorous) with airport security people. I tried this once in the USA and nearly got hauled off to Guantánamo Bay. Bored with the endless ritual of taking out the laptop - there was a collection of them on the conveyor belt - I asked the security chap if I could get an upgrade while I was waiting. I though it was funny, but he most certainly didn't. All the other passengers stepped away from me and I got chewed out for few minutes about how the nation was under threat, etc. Honestly (to quote Basil Fawlty), some people have no sense of humour.

Oh how I miss those days (NOT!)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:43 pm

Just been to Hamburg.
Málaga airport: surly, miserable a***holes on security. When I asked if I had to remove my footwear, the reply was "¿botas?" Since they barely cover my ankles, I guessed not - wrongly it seems, as when I stepped forward he barked "¡BOTAS!". Why a simple yes or no could not have sufficed, I do not know. Hamburg? Smiling, polite security officials wishing everyone a pleasant journey - and no need to remove my shoe-boots, as they have the fancy new scanners. And how come for a "new" airport Mälaga seems such a gloomy old dump compared to e.g. Hamburg and others I've been to? Coupled with rude abusive, suicidal taxi drivers outside arrivals, it's not much better for arrivals either. Welcome to Spain!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 pm

They have the "fancy scanners" at Manchester airport too, but I still had to remove my boots.

My outward journey through Málaga to Manchester was an absolute breeze compared with the return from Manchester to Málaga. Took the train from the city centre to the airport, cost €1.80 and the train was clean and not crowded, nobody standing. No queue at the easyJet bag drop counter, went to security (although the long walk to the bag drop desk then all the way back again to security is a bit of a pain) and the queue there was only about 5 minutes, staff were fine. The terminal wasn't crowded and there were plenty of seats. No queue for passport control and when I got to the gate the flight was already boarding (45 minutes before departure so plenty of time for everybody to board and stow their luggage).

The return journey - Manchester Piccadilly station was absolute mayhem, wall to wall people as on top of the Xmas shoppers and other visitors, United were playing at home. There were many fewer rail services to the airport than normal because of extensive engineering works taking place at weekends. An off peak single ticket cost 4.80 (sterling) for a 15 minute journey, almost the same duration as Málaga. Had to catch a train which was completely full with people's luggage piled up around the carriage entrances and people (iincluding me) standing all along the aisles. On arrival I had to get from the airport rail station to Terminal 3, and if I thought the walk between bag drop and security at Málaga was long, well .... This one was a 15 minute walk involving a long overhead walkway where the "moving pavements" were all out of service, a journey down in the lift then a long walk (outside in the cold) between Terminals 1 and 3. At least there was no queue for the Ryanair bag drop when I got there. Then queued for very nearly an hour to get to security, eventually got into the Departure lounge to find it absolutely full, no seats to be had anywhere and people sitting on the floor and the stairs all over the place. Oh, and a luggage trolley at Manchester now costs two pounds (non refundable) whereas at Málaga they are still free.

Give me Málaga any day.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:30 pm

Sounds dreadful seems from what you describe, traveling "Cattle Class" is justified & accurate jargon often used to describe these Budget No Frills airlines services both on board and in the areas at airports where they operate. But I guess you get what you pay for or are willing to pay for.
I So Bella tis you

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:30 pm

I can't see that paying more would have improved matters at Manchester!!!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Indeed it wouldn't. The moving pavements were out of service to all passengers regardless of which airline they were travelling with, and Terminal 3 at Manchester is actually the only terminal which BA flights use (not that they operate a Manchester-Málaga route anyway).

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:36 pm

gus wrote:I can't see that paying more would have improved matters at Manchester!!!
I wasn’t singling out Manchester airport but the “cattle” like treatment and herding mentallity it appears passengers that use Ryannair, Easyjet etc are subject to in all areas of their service. Yes you are probably your correct that paying extra to travel scheduled wouldn’t have helped ease the strain of walking due to the broken down moving walkway (unlucky I would suggest as it’s probably been mended by now). However, having traveled a few times on these kind of airlines it’s an experience I would not repeat willingly. To me personally give me a Taxi over a long queue & a crowded bus any day. But it all comes down to personal choice and circumstances.
I So Bella tis you

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote: give me a Taxi over a long queue & a crowded bus any day. But it all comes down to personal choice and circumstances.
Have you been in a Málaga taxi recently? See my other post (i.e. rant) today :lol:
Give me train travel over flying any day. Our trip to Madrid on the AVE earlier this year was a delight, and in fact the journey itself was a highlight. Anybody who still says "the holiday begins for me at the airport" needs their head examining! Unless of course they're loaded and flying first class. :wink:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:14 pm

Manchester Airport is a legend in it's own dung heap. Having worked there for 36 years I know, it has never ever been remotely good.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Agree about the train journey, Miro. One of my best-ever trips was Exeter, Waterloo, Gare du Nord, Gare Austerlitz, Madrid, Málaga. It took 36 hours but was WONDERFUL.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:56 pm

We go up to Madrid each year for a few days and would far rather take the AVE than fly, it is so much more comfortable and convenient and if you take into account the journey from city centre to airport, check-in time and journey from airport to city centre at the other end, the train journey doesn't take any longer. The last couple of years we've gone Preferente and it is even better with a glass of cava or juice after boarding, a newspaper, quite a decent 3 course meal with wine, coffee and a liqueur included.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:06 pm

36 hours on a train has to be more than 10 times preferable to 3½ hours on a plane! Just out of interest (sorry for thread drifting) how did you arrange / book that journey, and what was the approx. cost? I could be very tempted!