Using state health with no EHIC

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Unicorn
Resident

Re: Using state health with no EHIC

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:39 pm

I get health care because of the fiscal residency before 2012 rule. That is an EC thing so I guess it will go when we leave, which I suppose is what I will have to do as well.
I have Sanitas but without the safety-net of state health it would be impossible to stay.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:03 pm

markwilding wrote: BTW, As far as I remember, EU citizens under the age of 18 don't need anything apart from proof on age to receive free treatment.
Interesting, because just this morning I read a blog post about some guy who's moving to Spain (Galicia) with his Spanish wife & kids, and is having all sorts of difficulties, even getting his kids treated for emergencies. https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/uktoga ... esses.aspx
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Unicorn wrote:I get health care because of the fiscal residency before 2012 rule. That is an EC thing so I guess it will go when we leave...
I thought this had been discussed elsewhere, and it was said that the agreement between the UK & Spain is not an EU agreement, and was in place prior to Spain even joining the EU. If, after all, the EU says that EU citizens must receive the same as Spaniards, then why wouldn't they get free health care as pensioners anyway, without the UK paying Spain? Or have I got this totally wrong?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Miro wrote:
markwilding wrote: BTW, As far as I remember, EU citizens under the age of 18 don't need anything apart from proof on age to receive free treatment.
Interesting, because just this morning I read a blog post about some guy who's moving to Spain (Galicia) with his Spanish wife & kids, and is having all sorts of difficulties, even getting his kids treated for emergencies. https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/uktoga ... esses.aspx
Sometimes we British fail to understand that a Spanish person returning to Spain, having not paid social security, would encounter the same problems.
A Spanish person returning to Spain after working all their life in the UK would need to go through the same procedure as UK person but if the were in a country with no agreement, I would imagine they would need to make different arrangements.

Having said that, I doubt he has had problems to treated for emergencies as well. The hospital where my wife works would never turn away an emergency and even taking that into account they are covered by the EHIC for the first 24 months they live here.

I have read the post and I am completely confused by his explanation. Are the children residents or not? If they couldn't provide a DNI, I suppose not. so are they being treated as non=residents?

Even then it seems that the hospital has got it wrong because Hospital Social credit contact says that the hospital is not clear regarding the rules which is confirmed by the poster at the bottom of the thread.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Miro. The point is I am not a pensioner. I lived here for many years without state cover and then about 3 or 4 years ago it was an EU directive that forced Spain to include people like me who had been resident prior to April (I think) 2012 and fiscally resident, even if not working, like me. It was definitely only implemented 3 or 4 years ago and not in place years ago as when I came here and became resident I had to prove health cover and could definitely not get medical care except emergency. In fact I was ever told by others I was a fool to become resident as they could use their UK cards whereas I did not have one, obviously.

So I am guessing that it may stop for me. The pensioners are a separate issue and, I believe, an agreement between UK and Spain.

If I go tho the UK I have to go to SS here and get paperwork for the duration of my visit, I do not have a card for that. I do have a Spanish health card but it is not for abroad.

My only hope will be if Spain say that if you have been resident for x years they will still cover. I am guessing there are not so many non working, non pensioners who were resident prior to 2012 and filing a tax return here in Spain. A small cohort.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Sorry, I was reading Mark's post quoting Peter's post and the mention of the €3,500 that the UK pays Spain for every UK pensioner. Yes, I guess your case is different. Who knows what will happen?...

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:56 pm

No probs Miro. Point being as I do not have nor have ever had an EHIC. I really wanted to make the point that there is this other group that I fall into.

I'm just guessing that most people in my position, not working, resident, filing tax return, not retired, may have a few bob (except for me, living on a shoestring!) so Spain may wish to keep that group. And they will probably all have private anyway, which was required for residency in the first place.

Here's to hoping!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:26 pm

It's correct we are all in different situations. I came here at 45 years old and I have worked and paid taxes since just about day 1. I get all the health cover free through the state system and have a Spanish EHIC for travel outside Spain.