I HATE Brussels Sprouts !!!

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

I HATE Brussels Sprouts !!!

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm so glad that the Festive Season is over.!
Why ? ...Well every Brit that we know here seem to be fixated on eating sprouts...
Surely I'm not alone with my hate of the foul smelling tasteless dreaded little round green things ?.
I've lost count of the invites to go for dinner and they've rounded off the invitation with ''And we will have fresh Brussels Sprouts''... :shock:
My Wife likes sprouts, probably the only thing I don't like about her...
The other day as I sat down for dinner she said ''I know that you don't like sprouts , so I've only given you Three.'' :wtf:
I sat staring at them for ten minutes, then licked the gravy off them and left them at the side of the plate, like my dog Skippy does with carrots.
We've been married for over 50 years, so why has my missus decided that she should try to make me eat sprouts knowing that I'd rather eat goats pickled eyeballs or snorkle in a rat infested sewer....?
I wonder if it's because after visiting the new Nevada centre the other day and she bought some new trousers and asked me if her bum looked big in them and I answered Yes ?
I can't remember ever enjoying eating sprouts and as a child I was constantly told to 'eat them up, 'cos they're good for you'..
My old Aunt Nellie tried to kid me when I was eight years old, she wrapped them in bacon,but I managed to eat the bacon and feed her dog under the table with the little green monsters, obviously the dog didn't care what it ate.....
Personally I feel that they are probably responsible for Global Warming and should all be 'rounded up' and returned to Brussels, if that's where they originated from ....
Anyway I feel better now that I've 'come out' with my phobia about sprout eating.... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon..( now living in a Sprout Free Zone).....

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: I HATE Brussels Sprouts !!!

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Try them like this.....http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249972 ... on-onions/
I would not do the full 2 kilos of sprouts first time.....just in case!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:48 am

Peter,
Thank you for alerting me to the possibility of serving sprouts in a humane way...
However, they will still be sprouts and even if they were coated in minced lamb and presented as meat balls, to me they would just be 'Sprouts in Sheep's clothing'.... :lol:
May I wish you a very pleasant day and I hope that all goes well with your pending move... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon..( Chief spokesman for the Ban Sprouts Campaign ... :) )

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Well there is some good news.

The bitterness of the sprouts of our youth has been mostly bred out. One or two of the 25 commercial varieties are still a little bitter the rest are very nice when cooked properly. Still not too late to be converted :sick:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 am

I too enjoy brussels all year round especially as a starter similar to the recipe in the pictures Peter posted with bacon. Mmmmmmmm

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Olive,
Thank you for your efforts to try to tempt and convert me, however Sprouts to me are Toxic, I can't think of any other food that I hate as much, but maybe if someone offered to provide me with a 2 weeks all paid for holiday in Barbados if I ate 30 sprouts, then I would possibly have a go ..

Mark,
Good to hear that your taste buds are tantalized by even the thought of consuming sprouts, and now I know why Bilbao always seems to be windy. :lol:

But to be serious....
I wonder if food likes/dislikes are genetically passed down through families.?

Mrs.B hates olives,( her Mother also hated them ), she certainly won't eat them and she is always telling me that she really dislikes like the taste-texture etc., and she is allergic to the pollen/dust from the olive trees, which is a problem as we are absolutely surround by them where we live. ( Thank God we are not surrounded by fields of sprouts. :shock: ).
She takes antihistamine tablets daily when the pollen is around , she won't wear a mask, and I did offer to buy her a burqa , but that didn't go down well..

I wonder , do other members have problems with olive allergies ?
And am I the only one here who hates Sprouts :?:
Regards,
Gordon.
ps. I've just realised that the forum background is 'Sprout Green '....Yikes !!!!
Last edited by BENIDORM on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I think this would be a very different thread if there was a comma between "Brussels" and "sprouts".....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am

Since I started this thread I've been alerted to many methods and recipes for presenting sprouts, maybe I will try them.. or maybe not !

But Thank You All for going to the trouble of sending me your suggestions .. :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordon

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Well thats about as rare as hens teeth.....Brussel Sprouts in Mercadona Velez Malaga.......1.95 large pack......in shock

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:39 pm

I've just got back from Antigua. The price of Brussels was almost the same as lobster.

I went for the lobster :lol: