Ryanair checked luggage anamoly

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair checked luggage anamoly

Postby Miro » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Sorry, my mistake; you are correct. But it is necessary if you want to check in more than 4 days before the flight, which for trips of more than 4 days means you must have internet access while you're away, and if you're traveling with someone else and want to sit together, it's advisable. Plus, from my recent experience, I want a seat near either the front or back, because I can't be bothered with the on-board scrum mid-cabin-
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:55 am

I use the mobile phone app to check-in. I don't need to print out boarding cards either.
The first couple of times I did just in case but now I don't bother. It can be done using the hotel's wifi.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:51 am

If you're staying in a hotel....and if it has wifi. Otherwise maybe involves finding a cafe with wifi etc. etc...But the main reason I want to check in more than 4 days in advance is that I want two seats together. If I leave it too late, since most flights are nearly full (with luggage if not bodies!) we could end up sitting at opposite ends of the plane. I don't want to see a return to un-allocated seating (some people just can't decide where to sit and cause chaos moving from one seat to another until they're happy), but why you can't just be allocated seats on booking I don't know.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:59 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:Miro, seat reservation with Ryanair is not compulsory!
I have found that if you don't pay for reserved seats Ryanair sit you separately. We don't stay in hotels and sometimes the accommodation we use doesn't have wifi and I can't be bothered to faff around on my short break away trying to find wifi cafés etc to check in so I prefer like Miro to get it all sorted out beforehand.

With Vueling when I check in they do the 2 of us passengers on the same booking together. They then show the seats that they have allocated for free (and in the past we have had more than one chance to check in if we didn't like their first choice of free seats).

When I first checked in after Ryanair started allocating seats they did it one passenger at a time and we ended up at different ends of the plane, so we pay now to sit together. It is presumably so you'll pay for seats rather than let them allocate them for free. I think they say that if you want to sit together you have to pay to reserve your seats.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:05 pm

When we went in November we did not book seats but were seated together both ways using their auto system. In any case I cannot see that being a few seats away from each other for three hours or so is a problem.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:29 pm

I would pay extra to sit apart ! If my wife would let me.
As it happens, we both prefer aisle seats and are quite comfortable being apart - I just need to be available to lay for any drinks or snacks.

Estrellita

Postby Estrellita » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:39 pm

As for extra luggage: I always take my 15.4" laptop bag as an extra - and it holds way more than just the computer. No issues so far. Fits nicely under the front seat, and with the new, slim seats it's not a nuisance at all.
Actually I think Ryan is catching up quality-wise with Norwegian quite a bit on contested destinations.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Come on, guys. Hotels now have wifi, and if yours doesn't I suggest you change hotels. Blimey even the campsites i go to have wifi these days.

Anyways, these days I just pay the extra and book seats 1A and 1B as i've got rather long legs, and I like to be at the front of the car hire queue so its worth paying the extra for priority boarding and front row seats.

But I guess if everyone thought like me they'd be no point as everyone would be priority :crazy:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:44 pm

I made that point previously. On my recent flight from Hamburg, there were so many priority passengers, that virtually all the overhead locker space was taken before anybody else boarded.
I've stuck with Ryanair over the years simply because they were always cheapest, but if you start having to pay for all the extras, like reserving seats, the advantage will be lost.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Back home. The flight wasn't totally full so I moved away from my wife into a row with just one other person to give me a bit of space. I flew British Airways to Heathrow a couple of week ago. It was cheaper than Vueling, Ryanair and Easyjet. I got a free drink and a snack but what is really noticeable is the extra room.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:39 pm

Well there would be more room. Poor wife. Happy New Year to her! :wave:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:43 pm

Miro wrote:I made that point previously. On my recent flight from Hamburg, there were so many priority passengers, that virtually all the overhead locker space was taken before anybody else boarded.
I've stuck with Ryanair over the years simply because they were always cheapest, but if you start having to pay for all the extras, like reserving seats, the advantage will be lost.
Then Ryanair will have introduce "extra priority" for a small additional fee. Flying nowadays is still dirt cheap even at the last minute compared with twenty years ago.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Miro wrote: I've stuck with Ryanair over the years simply because they were always cheapest, but if you start having to pay for all the extras, like reserving seats, the advantage will be lost.
Last few flights with Vueling they have boarded those with seats in rows 15 - 31 first so we have boarded early and had no problem with the lockers. Flights are cheap but need to be for us as, when you add on accommodation and car hire, parking at Malaga etc, it does add up. We like to have a few short breaks away every year and as we are still on a limited income we like to at least try to keep down the costs of the flights.
ashtondav wrote:Come on, guys. Hotels now have wifi, and if yours doesn't I suggest you change hotels. Blimey even the campsites i go to have wifi these days.
We like to stay in out of the way 'campo' houses and they don't all provide wifi. Being somewhere picturesque and quiet is more of a priority to us. In the UK the rental properties always seem to have it but we only go there once a year, again only for a few nights, so I just like to have everything done before we go.

My OH likes a window seat so if we are not allocated that for free then he is willing to pay for it. We like to sit together as I have the sarnies in my bag :lol: :thumbup: Last few flights we have had the three seats to ourselves so we can spread out.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:42 am

We flew Sevilla to Stansted and home again over the Christmas period, what makes me so mad is the oversized cabin baggage that is being allowed nowadays. The man sitting next to me had a huge canvas sack type bag, almost two seats width wide and a massive carrier bag full of stuff. He took up almost a whole locker! He wouldn't put his coat under the seat, so that took up space in another locker! I have become a case watcher! It looks like the Spanish flout the baggage rules the most!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:32 am

I rest my case!

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Years ago when I regularly flew from Spanish airports ( not with Ryanair) 99% of the oversized baggage belonged to the Spaniards. Back then every bag was checked for size and weight, the fuss the Spanish kicked up was unbelievable, A Japanese lady was brilliant when she was told hers was to big, she measured hers against a Spanish ladies who had just been let through, hahaha hers was much smaller and lighter so walked on :-) I have seen the Spanish take out and wear several layers to get past then jam it all back in once through. It is all a bit of a joke really.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Husband flew back Wednesday, Stansted to Seville, he said one Spanish man had two way oversized bags, then proceeded to cause problems as he insisted on his thick coat and thick jumper go in the locker, he said folk were getting really angry with the selfish ***