Driving from the UK to Andalucia

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Driving from the UK to Andalucia

Postby DannyandJosie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:05 pm

I have just driven from the UK to Spain and did quite a bit of research on the various routes I could have chosen. These include taking the ferry or tunnel to France and driving all the way to Spain, as well as taking the ferry to Spain and driving from there. I have detailed our journey and the various options, distances and costs below in case it is of interest to anyone :)

Danny
http://www.onefootinthecave.net/heading-to-spain/
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Driving from the UK to Andalucia

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:52 pm

excellent idea, it will be of use to some people im sure
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Thank you

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank you for that very informative information

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:23 pm

We have done all the permutations and I still prefer the Plymouth Santander route.

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 pm

Ohhhh thanks for this. We are driving but will be going for the long drive through France because stupid Brittany Ferries refuse to carry rabbits!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:12 am

Rampant ones Lisa?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi,
Interesting fact.................

"It is believed the superstition against rabbits on ships dates back to the 17th century when, legend has it, a rabbit being carried for food bit through the hold of a warship which sank, killing hundreds on board.

Brittany Ferries spokesman Stephen Tuckwell said: "It is a French maritime superstition against carriage of rabbits on our ferries. We take all other domestic pets - it is just rabbits. "

:crazy:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:47 pm

So a rabbit's foot is lucky but only when not joined to the rest of him?

Well, not lucky for the rabbit, obviously!

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 am

Enrique wrote:Hi,
Interesting fact.................

"It is believed the superstition against rabbits on ships dates back to the 17th century when, legend has it, a rabbit being carried for food bit through the hold of a warship which sank, killing hundreds on board.

Brittany Ferries spokesman Stephen Tuckwell said: "It is a French maritime superstition against carriage of rabbits on our ferries. We take all other domestic pets - it is just rabbits. "

:crazy:
I did ask why they wouldn't carry a rabbit and they just said its the rules! So it's the long way for us and the rabbit and Guinea pig!!!!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:44 am

The French option would be more expensive if you stayed in a reasonable hotel and ate some meals over the day or two.

I always use the Brittany "economie" service as it's perfectly acceptable unless you miss nightclubs, good restaurants and whale watching talks. But yes, do take some videos and books. We usually catch the 9am ferry which I think gets in at 2pm. That's 29 hours!!!

As for Biscay - strictly May to October for us!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 am

We went through the bay of biscay in July and it was like a mill pond. We also went through in August and it was a force 9. All Restaurants closed as food and drinks was going everywhere.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:42 am

Who inspects them to see that its a rabbit? Tell them its a young kangeroo!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:49 am

We also went through in August and it was a force 9.
Lucky my wife is not a member here. I assure her those months are fine :angel:

bawnbue1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bawnbue1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 pm

love this post we drove over in Sept from southern Ireland cork - roscoff Brittany ferries and drove down to periana the quickest way using motor ways and paying lots of tolls rather boring . made to Spain first day then stayed over night then down to our house by 7.00 pm hard slug and took a couple of days to recover!
we drove back mid December again quickest route this time via cherbourg rossliar stena line as the cork service had stopped.we had to return as we could not get our car insurance extended beyond 3 months! we tried every one to get cover but could not find any one as we has Irish plates.
so avoid this happening to us again whilst we were there i purchased a Spanish reg Renault Clio.last month i flew over to check on the house and drive the car back to Ireland so when we come this year we have not got to worry about car insurance problems was due to catch the ferry from cherbourg Friday 3 feb but got a text informing me the ferry is canx due to high winds so re-booked for the Sunday 12.30 crossing this time i put into the satnav No
tolls this increased the journey by 150km more and 2 hours longer but a far nicer journey thing to look at and places to stop. saved €70 in tolls!
arrived cherbourg Saturday afternoon and souced a cheap place to stay over night found F1 hotel €33 inc breakfast!! arrived and nice clean rooms but no toilet or shower they were down the hall bit of a pain i thought i would have a shower but only hand towels in the room so popped down to reception and ask for a bath towel and was told no bath towels what do you expect from a cheap hotel!!! fortunately i had packed one in the case to stop the bottles rattling as one dose. so be warned but i must say hotel and breakfast was worth it..came back on stena line far cheaper then the over ferries they do not charge for dogs as we take two dogs this puts €80 on the crossing. will be comming over in march this year along with the dogs and would you believe two cats! this time stena and the scenic route..

MSclaire
Tourist

Postby MSclaire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 pm

As someone who is going to do the same later this year; I read the above with a lot of interest! Thanks for taking the time to post - very helpful. :thumbup:

Although after a horrendous Britney Ferry crossing with our dog back in November, it's Euro tunnel all the way for us now! Claire x

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:25 am

I did 4 return journeys with Brittany Ferry, Postmouth - Santander, during winter and early spring. A 4x4 and 2 people with a 4 berth cabin each way, average cost is £500 each return (Spain home owner club price, you pay £120/year membership to enjoy the tickets reduced 1/3). We did drive through France once and I think cost of hotels + tolls and because my wife has bad back it isn't attractive. Once by staying in Santander overnight we can make it to our house in Torrox 10 hours, but I normally shorten the journey by driving south from Santander for about 200 KM, eg. Palencia, then we could easily do it by 8 hours.