Retirement qualifications

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
mikethemiller

Retirement qualifications

Postby mikethemiller » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:11 am

Good morning. As a new arrival to this site I apologise if this question has been asked before We are condsidering relocating from France and not withstanding any impending Brexit changes what is the current qualification to be recognised as a UK pensioner in Spain with regard to healthcare. I am 66 and getting UK pension so would qualify but my wife is only 60. Does only one person have to qualify as here in France where the wife status is determined by the older partner. Thanks in advance for you comments. I look forward to spending time reading what the great site has to offer

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Retirement qualifications

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 am

Welcome to the forum.
If one of you is a UK pensioner then the spouse is also regarded as a pensioner, irrespective of their age, here in Spain.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mikethemiller

Postby mikethemiller » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:28 am

Thank you for your prompt and very lucid response!! We will start to move tentatively forward and wait to see what happens with Brexit. Having worked in France and now being fully in the health system I would not willing give this up
unless we know what is definietly going to happen. However planning next winer visit to Andalusia and will post under other headings for advice. Kind regards

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Apply using S1 form I think.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Mike
We moved from France having been in the system there for some years, this being before retiring .... We actually applied for our pensions via Spain. It sounds like you already have your pension in place, so that has avoided a lot of hassle for you. Depending on your years of qualification you may find that your UK pension is the larger? This means that your S1 available from the overseas dept at Newcastle will be all you need to give to the INSS in Spain. Your OH will qualify as YOUR dependant. Since you are already over 65 (the official age of retirement in Spain) you should find everything easier than we did, having retired at 62 and 63 respectively. Also you will qualify for the Golden discount tickets for transport etc.
Once resident in Spain and ready for applying for French and UK pensions as appropriate, your OH will need to make aplication via INSS in Spain.

There is a system now for making an appointment in advance (Cita previa) online for your INSS office in your chosen locality - so get your documents in order S1, passport photo, padron, marriage cert (so that OH can be recognised as dependant) and they will get you sorted into the Health Scheme.

You will know that you will also need to register as an EU citizen to get your NIE (foreigner's tax and fiscal number) soon after your arrival in Spain.

Cheers, et bonne chance!

mikethemiller

Postby mikethemiller » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Gasman. Thank you for all the detailed information which is very useful. Hopefully in the next few months things will become clearer about the status of us ex-pats and we can then come to a final decision.

Our only concerns about coming to Spain permanently is what will be doing!! We are not the sort of people who sit on the beach or spend days in the bars. Our days here in France are very full with finishing the house, gardening and days out and about. We have been to southern Spain many, many times predominantly for leisure but obviously its a different thing with a permanent move. One side of me says a nice little apartment say in Mijas Golf would be nice but what on earth amI going to do!! I did not plan to take on another major renovation project even though the brain is willing I would be worried about to much heavy work . So perhaps will have to find a happy medium somewhere!! Will keep searching.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 pm

What are your interests, as there are plenty of clubs and associations here. I found when I lived in France we spent our time renovating a property but once finished, I couldn't wait to return to Spain where there seems to be a lot more to do! There are charities you could help out, so if you like bridge or golf, tennis or walking, there'll be a group for you to join. Andalucia and the surrounding areas are full of places to visit, for a day or a couple of nights away ...... we are never bored!