Is the "levante" finished?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Is the "levante" finished?

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 am

Surveying the deposit of sandy filth left after the rain of the past few days, does anyone know if it has gone (at least for now)?
I have no intention of cleaning the pool and hosing/brushing the tile surround if it is going to be just as bad in a day or two.....especially as we move out in ten days, and have already packed the pressure washer!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is the "levante" finished?

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm

It wasn't a Levante as such. What happened is that early yesterday there was a low pressure area over the Sahara which was sending the wind up from the south with loads of fine sand in it. When the wind got to the Med it turned left and dumped it on us. When the heavy rain came later, the wind had turned to the west and the air was coming from a different direction so it was relatively clean.

I can't see the bottom of my pool and the cars are now a totally different colour!

I can't see anything on the weather charts to suggest we are in for another dose. The air will be coming in from the north so it should be clean.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi peteroldrace,
Looking good to clean pool...........we ended up with "clean" rain thunder storm last night and Aemet forecasting sun for coming six days.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:48 pm

I've never seen worse sandy rain in the last 10 years, have fun Sid 'cos it doesn't want to come off !

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Well...It will probably take months to get rid of the Desert sand ,it's everywhere, not seen so much for a long time, in fact we can't see our pool... :think: .Hey..wait a minute we no longer have a pool that's probably why we can't see it ! :lol: :lol:

However we now have quite a pile of sand, probably leave it as a sand pit for the dogs...

Regards,
Gordon.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:42 am

Yes that was an interesting experience.

I am going to vacuum our pool today. That is a first for winter.(for me)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:55 am

Our terraces have been hosed down a few times now and the car washed but when it dries out the mud is still there!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 am

Take the car to the garage and use their pressure washer. That will get it off. I am going to pressure wash the terraces later after hosing yesterday failed.
I am at a loss at the moment what to do with the pool.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:17 am

Our pressure washer destroys the grout in the terracing :(

Our little pool will be emptied out in spring and scrubbed clean then ..... a yearly job I hate at the best of times!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:24 am

I am under pressure from SWMBO to clean up as "we can't leave the place looking like this!"
I shall have to unpack and reassemble the Karcher....getting the distance and choice of lance is critical to avoid damage, but I suggest that you need to consider regrouting with some better quality grout! As for the pool, I am going to try gentle sweeping of the muck to the bottom drain, then do a "pump to waste" to avoid clogging the sand, followed by a normal clean when the dust has settled. I have never emptied our pool in 12 yeaars - should be no need except if having major work done.
Twelve more days and I would not have had a pool to worry about!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 am

Well your OH can always regrout :lolno:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Lyric wrote:I've never seen worse sandy rain in the last 10 years, have fun Sid 'cos it doesn't want to come off !

Not if the cars have been well waxed. There is nothing for it to stick to, so it comes off very easily.

The pool looked like soup this morning so I poured in a good dose of Flocculante and it's now clear. It's all on the bottom now so a quick hoover will get rid of it (to waste, like Peter)

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:59 pm

peteroldracer wrote: but I suggest that you need to consider regrouting with some better quality grout! I have never emptied our pool in 12 yeaars - should be no need except if having major work done.
Previous owners put down rustic terracotta slabs with quite large grout between. One came loose so I took it up and cannot now get it to lay properly. They are all slightly different as they are hand made and are a right pain. It is not a job we are willing to tackle!

Ours is a small above-ground fibreglass pool (less than 12m3) and the pump just isn't good enough to hoover. As we only use it for 3 months or so in the summer, it is our water deposito for the rest of the year. We irrigate the garden with it until it's all gone then give it a scrub out and then refill with nice clean water for the few months we use it. It has a winter cover on it which saves much of the dirt and large debris getting in.

We have washed down most surfaces apart from the terracotta slabs, We found that brushing the windows with a soft brush took much of the mud and dirt off which will make washing them a bit easier. Rain is forecast for next weekend which I hope is going to be cleaner!!