UK Current Bank Account Closing

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Re: UK Current Bank Account Closing

Postby fyfin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:42 pm

I leave that up to them. I only know because they showed me the letter and they thought it said 20% lol. My premium bonds paid out 1.2% last year and we had a bit of fun checking after getting the email to say you have won.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:43 pm

I had the usual cheque account (or whatever they are called) as well as a savings account and debit/credit cards together with on-line banking so HSBC knew I lived in Spain with no UK address.
I'm not sure I fully understand why a Brit who has moved to Spain wouldn't already have a UK bank account so, why the need to want to open another UK bank account? Not a question that I need an answer because I have long since given up on the complexities of some peoples lives!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:00 pm

LOL. Exactly as per my first post. If the organisation you bank with decides to close all current accounts both here and in UK i.e. to stop doing current accounts completely then you would need to open a new UK bank account for convenience sake. Nothing complex about that! Assuming you have not got another UK bank account of course.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 pm

I suppose the answer is to have an account with a "proper" bank not some Building Society playing at banking. :crazy:

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Oooh! bit catty. If it wasn't for Nationwide, a building society, you'd all be paying to withdraw cash from atms in UK. "Proper" banks are only interested in their shareholders and making profits. It wasn't building societies who created the banking crisis which is still affecting us today.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Not only that the NW credit card, no charges and good exchange rate for us Spanish residents.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Indeed, which is why I have one. Unfortunately they stopped the cash withdrawals at atms here commission free, and commercial rate, but still number one in my opinion. Who needs proper banks. lol

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:53 am

I dumped Nationwide when they relegated themselves from the Premier League by introducing charges.

Try Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card - no charges of any sort for non sterling transactions, either purchases or cash withdrawals, and Visa Europe exchange rates.

Parilla

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Parilla wrote:I dumped Nationwide when they relegated themselves from the Premier League by introducing charges.

Parilla
That may be another reason why we would want to open another bank account, although is there a normal current bank account that doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals abroad or foreign transactions? We would need a normal current account for direct debits, money transfers online etc