Next viewing trip booked!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Next viewing trip booked!

Postby Loopy Lisa » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 am

The property market in the UK is definitely a sellers market and with more buyers than sellers and the government doing little to help and more to push it upwards it can only go one way! We are selling in the U.K. and then planning to buy a small hole after when the market has dropped. We have a house in Kent we have lived in for 20 years and it is now one of the most desirable roads to live in. That wasn't so when we bought it!
Good luck with finding something but I would say if you can rent for a while you might find the bubble bursts and prices come down leaving you to get a good deal.
Good luck

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Major update!
A perfect looking property in Southport came up this week, so we sent OH's sister & brother-in-law (he's a builder, so he knows a thing or two) to check it out for us this morning. They rang us immediately afterwards and basically told us to go for it, saying there were others going to view it today. So we rang the agent and offered 4k below the asking price of £154k straight away. The vendors came back saying they wanted to think about it over the weekend. So based on the previous one which sold the day it was listed, we offered the full asking price in return for cancelling further viewings and taking it off the market, and they accepted.
Crazy, I know. We've only seen photos, but OH's sister & BIL were so impressed with the property that we decided to take the chance.
Our heads are spinning now! :crazy:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Good for you. Have you sold in Spain? Well done

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Congratulations Miro, all the best for the move.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks Terry. Yes, Maureen, after three years on the market, we finally got a buyer; Spanish, privately, no agent - they were all useless! Selling at a loss to what we paid back in 2003, but in ££ terms now, a little bit ahead of the game - not strictly relevant, because we didn't buy in ££ (we were already living in Spain well before), but since we're now heading back to the UK, and converting the proceeds to ££, it's a nice way to console ourselves to the loss!
In 2003 the market here was rising fast. We had to up our original budget, and viewed over 60 properties (mostly awful places) before finding the place we're now selling, where we've been very happy since. After our viewing trip last week to the UK we feared we might be facing a similar situation. We saw seven places, the only one of which was suitable being the previously mentioned one where the vendor didn't actually seem to want to sell! We also missed out on a couple of places we had our eye on, hence our seemingly reckless decision today to buy "unseen". I would normally concur with Lisa's suggestion of renting first, at least for anyone moving to Spain (or any other country for that matter) but it's a little different for us returning to our home country. Besides, I don't think the market in the NW is the same as Kent. Although desirable and well priced properties obviously get snapped up fast, there are also many vendors dropping their price, so overall I wouldn't say it's a sellers market necessarily. Maybe there's a bubble, and it might burst, but I would generally advise not to burn your bridges and keep a place in the UK if you can: if things don't work out in Spain and you wish to return, and if your crystal ball got it wrong, you might have to forget a bolt hole in Kent and follow this old Londoner to the NW, where prices are still vaguely sensible!

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:20 pm

Where about in Southport?......... Neighbour :mrgreen:

Volare on Lord street is a must!!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Great news Miro....everything comes together in the end.. :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.
Don't know about Volare, but when we were in Southport last Thursday during Hurricane Doris, a fitting welcome back to Blighty, we nearly took shelter in El Rincón Bodega :lol: Instead, we stumbled into the Pound Cafe, where a nice hot mug of coffee is (surprisingly) £1, which reassured me that I won't have to pay Costa or Starbucks prices and will still be able to get a coffee for what we're used to paying here! Maybe not in Birkdale, though, which is where we'll be settling - but it's only a mile or so into town, and very walkable; a damned sight flatter than Torremolinos, and far less doggie poo to avoid :wink:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 am

Congrats. Hope it all goes well

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:46 am

Well done Miro .... fingers crossed it all goes through OK.

We bought a house in the UK after looking at it on Google Street View and maps and were only there for 2 nights and we made the right choice. It was a town I had never been to (OH had many years ago) and we did loads of research on the internet. We looked at two houses in the same road and this one was the better. You can get a good impression on Street View and then by looking at the satellite version of Maps zoom in to see what is behind the house and in the vicinity. We both instantly get a 'feel' for a property which is difficult to describe, but must be a sixth sense, and we've luckily always agreed on a purchase too. I'm sure your sister in law has chosen well for you!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 pm

After viewing over 60 apartments in Spain back in 2003, when we entered the one we're now selling, we both instinctively knew - as you say, that "feel" that's hard to explain.
With the house in England, we studied the location on Street View and satellite as well so had a good idea of what we were looking at. The estate agent enthused about the property (naturally) and described it as "like a show home", but we've learnt that photos (& estate agents!) can be deceptive. Hence we sent sis-in-law & builder hubby. When they rang us after viewing, she said "it's like a show home!" & he said "I can't find one thing negative to say about it". And then she said "I got that feeling"....and we knew!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 am

Why not rent in the area for say, 6 months? During that time you can view to buy at your leisure- that's what we did.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Oops, just realised you have now bought! Congrats, if our experience is anything to go by, you won't regret the move back to the UK!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks Masterob. Your comment is very reassuring!
We have the luxury of another 10 weeks or so before completing the sale here (at the buyer's request), so we have plenty of time to do the things on our List of Things To Do, but we have already started ticking off items, which is very satisfying. This morning was a perfect reminder of why we are moving back, though. We had a wasted journey to Málaga INSS (won't go into details, but the usual story of bureaucratic nonsense). Then we went to the local ayuntamiento to get up to date padrón certificates - can't think of any reason why we'll need them, but that's precisely why we thought it best to get them!! Then wasted some more time trying to see someone at Endesa's office to ask about the procedure for changing the electric contract to the new owner - gave up waiting and instead tried ringing the number for citas previas, but got no answer. And finished up at the water company's office to ask the same. We were expecting a removal company this afternoon for a pre-move survey (they were supposed to come last Monday but "forgot"). I rang them to ask for an approximate time, and was told Wednesday. And the cat's off to the vet this afternoon for her rabies jab (we haven't told her yet!)
When we left the UK over 20 years ago, as far as I remember, we just....left. Was it really so much easier, or was I just 20 years younger and took things in my stride more? :crazy:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm

We were saying the same thing about how much harder things seem after 12 years this morning - removal men have just left with 24 cu m of our possessions, and that did not include furniture which was sold with the house!
The abogado who dealt with our sale sorted out all the paperwork and utilities change over - well worth the 1% incl iva he charged. Highly recommend them.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Wow, we're not moving any furniture either, but our stuff only comes to 8 cu m.
As we're leaving Spain for good within a couple of weeks of signing in May, we want to make sure the utilities etc. are all changed over before we go and we've paid up whatever we owe, so prefer to do it ourselves, with the buyer. We don't trust anyone else to do it in a timely manner, and we don't want to leave anything to be paid by direct debit, because we don't trust the bank, nor the utility companies or anyone else, not to leave everything in our name and the companies to keep trying to plunder our account - which we'll need to keep open for a while in case of anything we've overlooked.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Not only was it easy to tie things up leaving the UK but just as easy signing up when you return. Council Tax, gas, electricity, water, mobile, land line etc. all done on-line!
Reading the hassle you experienced brought back memories of the downside of life in Spain.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:51 am

Been to Hacienda this morning to see if we can get our fiscal residency certificates. You can no longer just turn up, as we have done many times over the years. You have to make an appointment - which can only be done online or by phone, not in their office. And then the certificates (if they choose to issue them) will be sent by post from Málaga, and may take a month or so. Alternatively, you can use cl@ve, and supposedly get the certificates straight off. Great idea, except that you can only use one mobile number once, and there's two of us but we only have one mobile. OK, I'll just buy a PAYG chip, specifically for this. But first we have to wait for our "invitation" - how long will that take?
Went back to Endesa's office this morning too, but the queue was around the block, and they're still not answering the phone for citas previas (you can hear the phone ringing in the office and see the staff just ignoring it) So I just walked up to a desk and said "I want a cita previa but you won't answer the phone", and eventually was given one - for next Monday evening.
Popped into the rates office to ask about paying this year's IBI (since we owned the place on Jan 1st), but the bills won't be issued until July, after we've gone, and there's no facility to pay by bank transfer or debit card...it was suggested we leave the money with the new owner to pay when the bill comes, so we asked if it will be the same amount as last year, and were told they have no idea, because the discounts may have changed....

Do I regret leaving Spain?

:silent:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:12 pm

You should regret not using a good abogado to do all this c@rp for you......! Lol
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:31 pm

1% of my sale here to do all this cr@p would more than cover the cost of my removal to the UK, or the entire legal fees for buying a property back there, or a bloody nice holiday somewhere exotic. Nope, sorry, just couldn't justify that. This is all stuff that either shouldn't have to be done at all, or should be very simple and straightforward. We've tried in the past passing the buck to a gestor, only to be let down or lied to, and left feeling that we're giving in to a system designed to frustrate you, opening our pockets and saying "OK, I give up, take what you want!" Learning the language and negotiating the ever moving goal posts over 20 odd years has not made anything any easier, and enough is enough.

So, back to Lisa and her thread.....are you looking forward to living in Spain?! :lol: