Applying for your NIE number

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Applying for your NIE number

Postby DannyandJosie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:44 am

Hi guys, we have now been living in Spain for 8 weeks and slowly crossing things off a very long 'to do' list :) When we bought our cave house in 2015, we paid the Solicitor to get myself an NIE number. Now we are living here, we wanted to get one for Josie (my wife). We decided though that we were going to apply for our own NIE number instead of paying for someone else to do it. The process was so easy and straightforward that we decided to write a simple step by step guide to help others who are not sure where to begin. We hope it helps :)
http://www.onefootinthecave.net/a-step- ... ie-number/
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Applying for your NIE number

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:58 am

It is quite simple but as it is one of the 1st things you have to get when you buy a house or car or even open an account most people seem to get their solicitor to do it.
Most likely as they are new to all of this and are not too good with the lingo.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:17 am

Be easier to just apply for your residencia straight out instead. No need to just get a NIE unless your a non resident

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 am

How much did you pay for a solicitor do it?

It is also possible to just turn up at the Police station without any forms because they will supply you with one. The benefit of this is they will help you to fill it in. However, you will need to pop out to a bank to pay the charge and very likely need to turn up early and need to wait a while before being seen

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 am

It will depend on where you are located. In Granada province, where the OP is based, queues are very small or nonexistent. In Malaga province it is entirely different. At Torre del Mar you need to arrive well before 8am and wait to be given a ticket. These are limited to so many per day, so if you are not at the front of the queue you may not get a ticket and have to come back the next day.

It's clearly unacceptable, but that's the way it is.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:49 am

Another thing to add is that not all Police stations dealing with ID documents can process foreigners. I have to go into Bilbao for me but I went with my son to a much closer local place for his DNI and passport.

All this might change in two years when we exit the EU. As I see it, we might need to update residence every 5 years again and have to queue as non-EU citizens, which when I have gone has been a monster of a queue.

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:56 am

Best to do your research on your particular area as to procedures etc before you just "turn up"

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:06 pm

As I mentioned before, it was amazingly simply and straightforward to do it at the Consulate in London, but obviously if you live some distance from London it might be more of a problem. We then had a nice lunch and an afternoon wandering around Chelsea/Kings Road area. The NIE number was then emailed to us within about 10 days. Only thing we forgot was to take cash for the payment which was about £8 each number.