Gordon's Homemade Dog Food....Yum Yum Brand

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Gordon's Homemade Dog Food....Yum Yum Brand

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:53 am

Yes..I've started making homemade dog food instead of buying tins/sausage.

I'm not sure that it works out any cheaper but our 3 dogs and our neighbours dog have given it their seal of approval and we feel that they are getting good wholesome food without any 'hidden' nasties.
We always buy 3 or 4 chickens, remove the breast meat for our consumption and then cook the rest removing all of the remaining meat for the dogs then boil up the leftovers to produce stock.
Then we mash up the meat with potato-pasta-rice-carrots-chick peas and any other 'oddments' , and then freeze it in portion controlled packs, and when we come to serve their 'din dins' we add stock and a handful of the dried dog food to give it crunch appeal..
So a bit time consuming, but that's the only thing that we are not short off now .... :D

What I would like to ask is for any other suggestions /ideas....Please do not suggest adding figs..or sprouts.. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon (CEO. Yum Yum Brand Dog Food for Pampered Pooooooches.... :wave: )

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gordon's Homemade Dog Food....Yum Yum Brand

Postby olive » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Free Meat bones left over after butcher has processed carcasses boiled up and add rice on offer at Lidl or similar. Being local you can get bones from the place next to Fusion on the white lady roundabout.

What is wrong with dry biscuit food? Cost?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Thank you for your reply Olive..

I do get bones from our local butcher, but never tried serving them with rice, I'll give it a try :thumbup:

We do use the dried dog food ,quite reasonably priced but the dogs will always go for the 'proper' dinners if given a choice.
One of our old Spanish friends took one of our Podenco puppies and although he looks after his dogs they tend to have to feed on what he has available, so I do take him a sack of dried dog food every now and again, sort of still feel responsible for the 'pup'...

Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:56 pm

They will of course be the dog's dinners :lol:

I wish our abandoned dog's previous owner would bring sacks of food around. Top man.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Olive quipped....''They will of course be the dog's dinners :lol: ''

No actually you made it sound so delicious I was thinking of serving it at our next guest lunch.... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Dogs can also have sweet cooked potatoes,which apparently are better for them than the white variety,cooked eggs and the eggshells,small and occasional amounts of apple.Lots of information on the interesting information on the internet,our dogs seem to stay fit and healthy on a varied diet,plus we hardly ever have any leftover foods in our bin.Happy cooking Gordon.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Our neighbours at our last house in the UK used to put out a chicken dinner with trimmings every night for the foxes that lived at the bottom of out garden.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Kexon, Thanks for that I didn't know about the eggs and egg shells. :thumbup:

Olive added ''Our neighbours at our last house in the UK used to put out a chicken dinner with trimmings every night for the foxes that lived at the bottom of out garden.''

I don't particularly dislike foxes, but many do, especially farmers who say that they kill chickens -complete wipe-out, just for the fun of it, and are also known to kill lambs as they are actually being born, but maybe your neighbours were actually doing a good job by possibly deterring the foxes from their murderous activities... who knows .?

I also forgot to mention that once a week I buy the ham bones still with some meat on them ( hueso jamon -Argal Brand,vacuum packed ) from Lidl for about 1.30'ish euro, they are ready chopped so easy to dissect into snack sizes..for the dogs of course..
However I was told off by a Spanish friend for wasting good food on the dogs, she said you can make a good stew with the ham bones... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon...The dog whisperer...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45 am

We spent many a happy hour watching them waiting in our garden for evening meal to be served. Their earth was a massive construction with entrance behind our greenhouse. I know it was massive as ihad to barrow the excavated soil away regularly to avoid the glass breaking. Themain body was under the other neighbours garden and collapsed one day as he was working the soil. Quite funny as he had no idea. He filled it all in and blocked it off with a metal plate.

Foxes do kill in sprees. Maybe they go into a frenzy after the first one. My brother at Seamer suffers from time to time. I have seen a fox 50 metres from our house here but only had semi feral dogs kill our poultry. Same killing spree leaving nothing alive. Have given up now after the count reached double figures.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:04 am

My Dad always gave his dogs milk and whisked eggs in the morning. Sometimes a hand full of corn flakes in there.
The biggest no no for dogs is pork. It drys them out terribly.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 am

Olive,
Well I guess that you are against fox-hunting ?...Me too.
Feral dogs are a big problem and I can understand why local people are very wary of street dogs, however they are desperately hungry and despite being regularly told off for feeding them, I will continue and I have noticed that more locals are 'adopting' street dogs and feeding them now, so I hope that my 'teach by example' method has influenced them.. :thumbup:
Maybe I'll go out today and treat some of the street dogs to my Yum Yum Brand dog food .. :lol:

Costakid,
Yes I do give the dogs a drink of milk, but sparingly as I've been advised not to overdo dairy food, but to be honest I don't think that most foods are a problem for them in small quantities, apart from chocolate !
As for pork ,well I'll remember that, actually when I think about it they don't get so much pork, apart from the ham bones and occasional bits of sausage/chorizo, but I always make sure that they have plenty of fresh water available.

So, Thank You folks for all of your tips and interesting chat...Much appreciated.. :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordon

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:02 pm

As to cow's milk- some breeds, and some individuals are especially sensitive to cow's milk so it should be avoided. Can also bring on a form of Crohns disease affecting the bowels. However, treated milk such as yoghurt, icecream, cheese, etc is OK as the enzyme which causes the problem in fresh/pasteurised milk is changed in the process. Also goat, sheep, camel or any other type of milk is OK as the enzyme is not present in them. For young pups, if you cannot afford vet-provided powdered milk, use Mercadona's goats milk BUT NOT cow's milk which gives em instant diarrhoea!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 am

Gasman,
Thank you for your advice and I admit that occasionally I have given my dogs a drink of cows milk, but lately I've been giving them goats milk which a friend brings for me, I do boil and strain it first and don't mind drinking it myself , but Mrs B hates it , but she did make a rice pudding from it for me and I share it with the dogs !!
I do give them yoghurt once a week, we make our own...much nicer and better than shop bought..in my opinion...and the dogs agree. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon