Carob pruning

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Carob pruning

Postby Rummii » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:46 am

Hi everyone
New to this forum but I'm hoping for some good advice on pruning carobs
We have a place that has about eighty trees and they vary from small young trees maybe couple of years old to very mature trees maybe 20-30 foot high and they have been neglected a little bit some are producing well but some are not especially the big trees
Is it similar to almonds and olives where you need to encourage new growth and cut back old tired growth
I know this will not need needed till after harvesting but any help will be appreciated
Thanks

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Carob pruning

Postby Trooperman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 am

As with many things, google can provide:http://balconygardenweb.com/how-to-grow ... ing-carob/
nil illegitimum carborundum

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:38 pm

welcome to the forum.

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi thanks
Yes I've googled lots since my arrival here but all carob care is very basic unlike details and videos found for olive pruning etc
But thank you for your help
And thanks costakid nice to meet you

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:27 pm

I believe that most carob trees are left to themselves - you do not need to do the active pruning you do for olives. Just let them get on with it. You can help to shape the young ones as they grow, and you will find that mature trees have a habit of suddenly letting a branch or two die off - take out dead wood, and trim back if you find the trees are getting too big, but otherwise leave em be. The pods used to be much prized as animal fodder, and in the lean years spanish peasants had to incorporate them into their meagre diets!!
Incidentally you may know that dogs should NOT eat chocolate, though they love the taste ... they CAN eat carob and the protein, fibres and vitamins do them the world of good!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:24 pm

There are a few carob trees around where I live.
None of them get pruned except if they are getting too big, obstructing the track or branches are about to fall off.
They all produce an abundance of carabs that are gathered up and sold at the appropriate times.
They seem to thrive on neglect.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Be aware that they are protected by law. Chopping them down can lead to heavy fines and/or time "enjoying" shower-leapfrog in the carcel.....
We had one tree demonstrate the dying branch problem, the immensely heavy branch suddenly crashed to the ground and would have caused death or serious injury if anyone had been underneath. It had fresh leaves and growth on it, but in the centre it was rotten, so very difficult to tell that branch was not healthy.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 pm

That is true, they are protected and around where I live every carob tree is mapped, using GPS co ordinates and recorded.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks everyone
I've got a lot of them mainly younger trees but two are huge and don't seem to be producing very many pods for there size , so wasn't going to cut them down but wanted to give them a really good prune just to encourage some newer growth,so that yield of carobs increase next year, also these couple of old trees have sent up some new saplings around its base which I want to encourage, am I right in saying that this is ok? Also is it right that you can cut them down as long as you replace them with new tree ?