French Toll Costs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Martin Page
Resident

French Toll Costs

Postby Martin Page » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:23 pm

We are no planning the drive (home and back) - Does anybody have any advice regarding the drive. (Other than get out of France as fast as possible - Al Murry)

What should I budget for French (spit) Tolls

Is it a viable drive from the Spanish Border to the UK within a day ?

What are the costs of hotel/motels in French( if I have to) compared to North Spain

In general - any advice regarding the drive will be gratefully received ?

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Depending on car/van etc, Im going down using my van and a 2 axle caravan, the toll info has comeback telling me its gonna cost E293 so guess what Im going to do, off toll road travel, take my time and enjoy the wonderful country side France has to offer from Paris, Sat nav will play a big role making sure I dont stray onto French toll roads

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:26 am

Hi Chris
Enjoy the drive ...we did it avoiding every toll except a bridge toll in Le mans..had a lovely time and ran virtually parallel to the toll roads until we reached the Andorra area. We went down through Andorra and back up through the Burgundy area of France. Mind you I think you want a one way drive and that way we paid no tolls whatever . Good luck

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:45 am

Hi fearfulfred,

There seems to be conflicting info with regards to mapping avoiding the toll road via the internet, guess my Satnav will working overtime.
My route will take me to Abbeville and then onto Toulouse, toulouse to Le Perth then onto Barcelona down that way to Malaga, I've been told by several its a good drive down that way and its very scenic....shall see sees I...

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:56 am

Hey Chris
that is the way we took. Spent the night in Cahors to see lovely old bridge on the way. We drove to Barcelona and tehn on down to Alicante and then across , as that time we were heading to Manzanares just south of Madrid for a job. At the time we did not have our GPS and used just a European Road atals and that got us through it all...once again good luck. Have fun

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:36 pm

We have done the trip twice from the Manilva area and will be off again in May for a month or so.(New grandaughter on the way!)
Having researched the cost of the long sea trip, Santander to UK and shuddered at the amount of money charged, (800 quid mas o minus) we will travel from Dunquerke to Dover (again) at a cost of 68 Euros RETURN for a standard size salooin car.
Our objective has been speed so the route of choice was & will be straight up though Spain via Madrid, close by to Santander, cross into France and use the Motorway network to Dunquerke via Paris. The first time we stopped overnight just south of Madrid in a Formula1 hotel (28 euros) at Getafe & then drove with only "comfort" stops to Paris. There we stayed in a vile Campanile just off the periferique and early next morning went straight to Dunquerke.
Last time was similar except we stopped overnight in Burgos and found a very good Hotel in a chain called B&B! Similar to Formula 1, a little more expensive, (36 euros) but with en-suite facilities.
I hate to think what the tolls will be (I will check on the French autoroute site before we leave) - but the overall trip cost will still be less than flying to UK & then hiring a car for four or five weeks.

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Rabid views

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:25 pm

Martin

Where do you get such rabid anti french views from - or am I misreading your posting? Surely someone who is living in or visiting another country where there are millions of immigrant (the brits) should have a little more tolerance of other europeans.

Also what makes you think you should have the right to use French roads for free. I expect that is exactly what you blame visitors and immigarnts to Britain for.

Well!!!!
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

kevin77
Resident

va va voom

Postby kevin77 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:38 pm

I agree steve/yvonne - they are so full of **** with their postings, i'll give you an example: 'Can't afford the Portsmouth route, so we are getting the 2am ferry from YUK and then we are flooring it in the Renault Espace making sure that we get to the promised land (Bilbao!) by nightfall, we're not even stopping for a coffee in France, horrible place!!!!' This was from a family who hadnt been out of Essex for 40 years apart from their annual holiday flying to CDS, and who base their opinion of France on Sun headlines.
Still, Thierry Henry tonight put the Gunners 1-0 up against Becks and the wendy band team, so Respect to the French people!

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:45 am

Steve and Yvonne, re Rabid anti-French views.
While I have nothing against the French other than the occasioanal bad attitude they appear to have against English, regarding the French roads, I had to pay 150euro to use the French roads to come from Calais to Spain. French drivers in the UK pay nothing!
It cost me the equivalent of 6 months UK road tax to use the French roads for two days
Not wanting to start an anti-French thread, but just making a small point
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi Fletch

What are the prices on the Spanish toll roads then as I remmeerb trying to avoid them on several trips too? I did get caught once , but only for a short stretch. Have paid a lot of tolls while holidaying in certain states too though not as much! Italy had heavy tolls too.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:56 pm

..... just where would we be without rules - In France Al Murry

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

toll prices

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:56 pm

I don't suppose that anyone minds buying their deisel at french/spanish prices though.

When the french are visiting the UK at least they are spending thier holiday money. Many Brits are just passing through France - doesn't seem unreasonable to me. They can always use the RN roads.

I guess my point was that the whole world seems to be willing to hate their neighbouring countries. Why don't we celebrate 60 years of not being at war with each other and look on the positive side.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:49 pm

Steve and Yvonne, I Posted on this subject several weeks ago regarding a trip to France, some years ago I was travelling through France with several colleagues, one of whom is African American and who's father had fought with the liberation forces during WW2. We were openly abused by the French police and one of our party had 1000 dutch guilders stolen from his wallet whilst the policeman was going through the pretext of "checking his ID", they brought some very aggressive dogs to attempt to frighten us , forced us to unload every single item from the car and then walked away sniggering, don't tell me about the French police and French roads, I know different, I have heard many similar stories from others, it seems they still haven't forgiven us for saving their butts from the Bosch (twice) whilst their men were busy throwing up their hands and the women their skirts, not all French people are despicable of course I quite liked Maurice Chevalier and Edith Piaf!!

PS Paul Bocuse does a great larks tongue pate, so he's okay as well!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:02 pm

We enjoy the drive through France and treat it as part of our holiday.
Last edited by spanish hopes on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

road tolls

Postby ht006d5256 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Had great fun reading the postings however my feeling for the French are totally neutral I shall be driving down around June the toll costs will be 144e and should take about 13 hrs to reach the Spanish border I for one will be glad to pay such a small sum to get me to my new home quicker I have waited 6 years for my new life and these last 5 months seem like another 6years so I dont want to waste even a second longer than I have to however I cant seem to find toll charges from the Hendaye border to Puente-Genil any ideas folks ta very much
Howard

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Attitude

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 pm

Well midnight - sorry about your experience but the attitude you are holding is what keeps the arms dealers in business - look at the middle east - evryone hates their next door neighbour.

Steve

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Interesting reading, but obviously didn't read Martins post before the mods removed it (typical, late). Would be interested to see what he said. Please PM me if it cannot be repeated on the forum .....

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:50 pm

newlife,
it's the first post in the thread...

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:28 pm

Sorry, I thought they had written something SO bad about the French it had been deleted! Bit strong for a response from Steve and Yvonne then - Martin hardly said anything about the French! that's why I was confused. Now I have read it again, are you sure I didn't miss anything?

Midnight Rambler

Re: Attitude

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Steve&Yvonne wrote:Well midnight - sorry about your experience but the attitude you are holding is what keeps the arms dealers in business - look at the middle east - evryone hates their next door neighbour.

Steve
Sorry, but what on earth do arms dealers have to do with this particular topic, I don't know about you but I don't like being treated like **** by anyone, especially those whom my forebears saved from Nazi dictatorship, I will love my neighbour, but only if he is prepared to reciprocate!

Kevin, you're right about the ones who fly through France, not spending any money, it's possibly because they only wish to get to their destination quicker, I have met some very nice French people, but having had that one bad experience I can assure you I won't be going back for more, if I need to travel by car to or from Spain in the future, which I probably will, then I will Probably use Plymouth- Santander, nope I'm afraid the frogs have had it with me!!