Stay in SPAIN or RETURN to Un-United Kingdom ?.Remain in Spain!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Stay in SPAIN or RETURN to Un-United Kingdom ?.Remain in Spain!!!

Postby elusive » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Wongos! :lol: brilliant Yeah i agree re the one at torre del mar and theres also one at torrox costa that is good. But most are pretty off. Whats the deal with the chinese shops in spain never got round to googling it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

I was a little concerned when the 'Wongo' shops started opening everywhere thinking that they may upset the local Spanish shops, but actually they have blended in well and are ,I would say, here to stay.

I've just heard that some friends have sold their house here and are moving into an apartment nearby, they only had it on the market for 6 weeks, and now are happy that they've released some capital, not to spend but to give them some security..Good idea..I say ...
Regards,
Gordon ( A member of the 'Wongo' Appreciation Society ) :D

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 am

also one at torrox costa
Where would that be please ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:16 am

Down from Torrox Campo to the coast road, turn right at the roundabout and it's on your right just before the next roundabout and nearly opposite the Laguana Beach complex.
It's called Superestrela.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am

Oh the big chino that's been there a decade then ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am

There are other smaller ones along that road but that one is the biggest.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 am

I was thinking that something other than Chino shops were being referred to. The larger of the two next to Mucky Donna is the best IMHO, but the one referred to in TdM is the biggest I have ever seen.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:14 am

Wonga shops.

I am unimpressed with the quality of much of the stuff they sell however some things are fine. Several of our Spanish neighbours flatly refuse to ever darken their doors. What caused the Morrocan wonga shops to close? Did the Chinese drive them out?

For a long time i have been suspicious of the business model and recently that was confirmed with some EU fine to be imposed on the Uk for not rasing sufficient duty on wonga imported goods later sold elsewhere in the EU.Still when you can buy very good felt hats from China for £2 fifty with free postage you can see they are very geared up to make money. Privately i suspect the wonga shops is a front for laundering money as the footfall and spend to outgoings isnt that hot.

Economy picking up? Two positive indicators. More heavy lorries back on the roads, in fact more traffic than in recent years. Second one is the amount of fireworks last night to mark end of a vilage fiesta over the valley. Pre 2008 level! And very pleasant too.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 am

Sorry i ment the one next to supersol at torrox costa think its called happyigo markt. Pretty big decent quality and nicely laid out not like the "health and safety" death traps of others that you see.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am

Olive,
The Wongo shops actually stock many items manufactured in Spain and I've also spotted many lines from France and Germany, not much from the UK, but there again much of the stock sold in UK has Oriental/Asian origins anyway . :(
I've also heard Spanish locals state that they don't shop in Wongo shops, but I spotted one in the big shop in Loja the other day and he made an excuse that he had only gone in for a look !! ( They also said the same about Lidl a few years ago and now they are packed with local Spanish bargain hunters )
Of course there is a lot of tat, you have to be a discerning buyer, however things like picture/photo frames are excellent quality and good value,I do know that because I used to make them !
My opinion is that the better Wongo shops are inland , so I'm thinking of starting guided tours of Wongo shops, if anyone is interested, I can throw in a few Museums and Roman remains as a bonus... :D :D
Happy Shopping,
Gordon.
Last edited by BENIDORM on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 pm

I was once told that the Chinese are a very good economic indicator - if an economy is failing, they will be the first out of there, so keep using them while you can ;-) !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Beni, put the Lucena one on your guided tour. Definitely the biggest i have seen n Spain - size of 3 mercadonas.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Ayup Ollie,
I've been to Lucena numerous times but don't know my way around that well, is it near Carrefour...?

Regards,
Gordon ( Wongo Tours ) :D

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Come in on the Rute road. Turn right at the first roundabout. On your left after the traffic lights and petrol station. New Wok eat as much ..... on right 100 yds further on or take your roman antiquities/wonga tour guests tolunch place i recommended a few weeksback. To get to carrefour keepgoing up to main road amd tirn left at lights.aftera few miles it is on yourright a the big new junction.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm

BENIDORM wrote: I've just heard that some friends have sold their house here and are moving into an apartment nearby, they only had it on the market for 6 weeks, and now are happy that they've released some capital, not to spend but to give them some security..Good idea..I say ...
Not that we're moving to downsize or release some equity, but if we were to simply buy another property here with the proceeds of our sale, for the same amount as we sold, the transfer tax alone on the new purchase would be more than the extra we're paying for up-sizing (new word?) in the UK. In fact, even if you add in the cost of international removals and all the purchase costs in the UK, it still wouldn't cover the costs of buying here again, unless we were seriously downsizing, to a studio for example. Or moving to Torrevieja. :shock:

P.S. Never heard of Wilko, but happy to see there's one in Southport. I was worrying about how I'd live without the Chinese Bazaars!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Olive,
Many Thanks for that and we will be going in the next 2 weeks to Lucena, so will use your recommendations... :wave:

Miro,
I did ask them about the costs but they seemed quite happy with what they paid, they sold and bought privately and didn't need furniture removers, and from what they tell me the apartment is not much smaller than their house but of course not much outside space, which suits them.

Torrevieja, ....Well it has improved and does have a lot going for Brit expats who want 'home from home', it's even got a Scottish pipe and drum band, I love bagpipe music...Mrs B hates it... :(

I think your transfer costs will probably be less, but it's the running costs in UK, council tax, TV licence, fuel costs etc., that spoil it and I fear that they will go up ...But as long as you are happy, That's the Main Thing !!
I still have many members of family living in the Merseyside area, they seem quite happy, and if you land at John Lennon Airport, part of the area used to be farmed by my Great Grandfather so if you see a ghostly figure with a plough it will probably be him... :D
I was brought up in New Brighton almost opposite where you are going to live....
Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Well aware of the costs you mention, but TBH expect the difference to be more or less covered by the saving in income tax. And of course, the Winter Fuel payment will make a big difference :lol: We'll see...
I wonder if the ghost of Great Grandfather Benidorm was the one who smashed the back window of my car years ago in Speke? The local kids who were hanging around at the time all denied seeing anything!
We considered New Brighton (similar childhood memories as Southport for OH); it seems quite nice, and importantly has a Wilko :lol: but we didn't see any properties there that met our criteria.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Miro,
I doubt that my Great Grandfather was responsible for smashing the back window of your car, he was born in 1840 and was a 'Gentleman' farmer with a 130 acre farm,....but it could have been one of my other relatives .. :D
Southport is a much bigger place than New Brighton and good property there is very expensive, and did you know that New Brighton had a Tower similar to Blackpool , but it was bigger and my Granddad organised a team with some of his crew mates to paint it, before the First World War, he was having a rest period from his sailing ship ...don't know what that has to do with Andalucia ..but never mind.. :lol:

Anyway I hope that you hear good news soon, keep us updated !

Regards,
Gordon

Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariposa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:36 pm

We are planning a cooperative venture ( in Almunecar, Granada)

EDITED.

You have already posted this in the thread that you started on this subject.

It can be read here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36455

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:37 pm

P.S. Never heard of Wilko, but happy to see there's one in Southport. I was worrying about how I'd live without the Chinese Bazaars!

----------
You lucky thing you :lol: