Electricity supplier help

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Paulm67
Tourist

Electricity supplier help

Postby Paulm67 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 pm

We completed out purchase mid-February and the electricity supplier was endesa - received a bill only last week addressed too previous owner which I took to the estate agents.

Then this week I've received 2 emails from fenie energia, the second including an invoice for €164. Not sure what it's for as it states we've only used 13kwh at a cost of €1.65, the rest appears to be something to do with access and extension rights if my translation is right.

I authorised my solicitor to transfer our names across but not to change supplier as I believe has happened. Email sent but yet to hear back so wondered if anyone could shed any light on this?

Has this happened to anyone else?
Am I missing something simple?

Thanks, Paul

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electricity supplier help

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 pm

We were with Fenienergia, whose electricity was supplied by Endesa but sold on cheaper by Fenienergia.
Up here in Murcia it is Iberdola, so less confusing!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paulm67
Tourist

Postby Paulm67 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Quick update if anyone can help:

Spoke to the solicitors who have admitted they have changed my supplier as well as increased the power contract claiming it was for my benefit as 1) our power rating was too low for our house in their opinion and 2) they are agents for fenie energia so they will be able to act as a go between if there's any problems. They admitted also that they should have consulted me before making the changes.

Now I try not to be cynical but surely this sounds like a conflict of interests. Had they run the changes by me first then I would've been able to decide myself however the only authority I gave them was to change the names on the existing account with endesa.

We'd budgeted for the utility bills based on previous owners records and now our kind solicitors have more than doubled the power contract meaning a similar increase in the bills as far as I can make out.

Anyone had a similar experience when buying recently? ie was it as simple as changing your names and if so were there any charges for this? I'm trying to find out how much they've diddled me out of up front as well as in the long term

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:01 pm

There normally isn't any charge for changing names on a contract.
Changing power requirements shouldn't have any charge but if the want an up to date Bolletin ( electricity supply inspection/test certificate) then it can be very expensive, the Bolletin could be around €400 but if it your house wiring is not up to standard then this will have to be fixed, at your cost, before a Bolletin is issued.
I personalty would not trust a solicitor who took these actions without your knowledge.
What else has he committed you to?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Looks like a typical case of the Spanish "we know best" syndrome.....they are probably correct that you need a higher potencia (a few blackouts caused by boiling a kettle while the oven is on will soon convince you!), and anything that avoids you getting involved in the abysmal queues in Endesa's office is worth pursuing. The increased potencia will increase your standing charge each month but if you are going to use the extra capacity this will not make a great deal of difference to your bills. We were paying around €120 per month for electricity, in an all-electric house, and I know there are folk on here paying a lot more. Just think that if this cost seems high, then paying possibly 30% of what your rates in the UK might be, and very drinkable wine for under €2 a bottle may make you feel better?
They should of course communicated with you all the way. We know of a pool builder who was given precise instructions about how and where a pool was to be built while the owners were away. They returned to find it in a different place and with an above-ground pump and filter rather than a pump-house tucked under the hill.......because the builder said that was better!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.