Malaga car hire.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga car hire.

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:34 am

You will find autos are very much more expensive than a manual, even for the same basic model.

Our neighbour always hires one and the prices she pays are extortionate.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:42 am

Hmmmm - an automatic Corsa is €10 more than a manual Peugeot 308 for a week's hire from Helle Hollis or a Toyota Yaris hybrid less than €30. Hardly a rip off? NB I just picked a week at random, rates may vary with season.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:24 pm

bbobandannie wrote:We currently have a Marbelsol car. Its old, and scratched to hell. When they presented us the pre hire damage diagram it looked as if the car had been machine gunned. Cheap for a reason.
Yep, our pre hire diagram looked like a scatter gun diagram! What made me giggle was the few minutes spent looking for other damage - I told them there wasn't a scratch free panel on the car! I'd have been incandescent if they'd said they found a new scratch - but they didn't.

But for about €9 a day who cares.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 pm

They used Firefly and had an almost brand new car- the lady insisted there was no need to check as the car was so new, son said no he was going to check the car- they found a few unmarked scratches and a small dent not mentioned on the form. It was a full/empty policy, so they limped back with an almost empty tank, just put in 5€ when the warning came on to say the tank was virtually zero!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks Petroldracer and everyone else

AidaGranada

Postby AidaGranada » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Whenever you book a rent a car online read the terms and conditions!! Specially the part about the card deposit, mileage, fuel policy (always choose full-full) and extra charges.

Having rented cars many times I assure you there are more hidden charges than you can expect and car rental desks make money out of these.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:38 am

Just returned my somewhat battered rental to Malagasol and the process was fast and simple and they seemed to accept that it was already in a bit of a state when we got it so the inspection was fairly cursory. However I did get stung for a fairly hefty mileage charge. My fault for not reading the terms and conditions but as most are unlimited I never thought of it. Would you believe the daily allowance is 45KM.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:49 am

bbobandannie wrote:Just returned my somewhat battered rental to Malagasol and the process was fast and simple and they seemed to accept that it was already in a bit of a state when we got it so the inspection was fairly cursory. However I did get stung for a fairly hefty mileage charge. My fault for not reading the terms and conditions but as most are unlimited I never thought of it. Would you believe the daily allowance is 45KM.
That's a new one for me. And an absurdly low allowance. Another one to cross off the list, AFAIAC.
Whenever you book a rent a car online read the terms and conditions!! Specially the part about the card deposit, mileage, fuel policy (always choose full-full) and extra charges.
The problem is most Malaga operators won't allow full full. As for the card deposit this is not deducted from your account but merely reserved against your account. I.e., they don't charge your card €500 and refund €500 on return of car. At least they shouldn't do so :shock:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 pm

bbobandannie wrote:Just returned my somewhat battered rental to Malagasol and the process was fast and simple and they seemed to accept that it was already in a bit of a state when we got it so the inspection was fairly cursory. However I did get stung for a fairly hefty mileage charge. My fault for not reading the terms and conditions but as most are unlimited I never thought of it. Would you believe the daily allowance is 45KM.
Did you mean Marbesol ? Is the mileage cumulative ie left over miles can be added to the next day ? We had planned a trip inland which would put us way over the limit if it isn't carried over :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Marbesol is the only one I have seen with this restriction - and even then you can avoid it by taking out their excess insurance!
Record ask you to change the car before you exceed 2000 kilometres (no charge) - which seems reasonable.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Unless they have some sort of box recording your daily driving they have no way of knowing how many km you do each day. You would have to presume its a set amount for the hire.how you use it is upto you

Who the heck has limits on the km you can do.and 45!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Check out the Marbesol terms Elusive!
Exceed 45 km per day ( and, as you say, it is cumulative for the hire period) and you get hit for a penalty charge per km above this limit. It is there in black and white.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:18 pm

I was surprised when I looked into hiring a car from Liverpool airport for one of my rare trips to the UK.
Several of the hire companies had a fairly low daily limit.
Perhaps it's a fairly new thing amongst hire companies to get more money to compensate for their, often, low daily hire rates.
Always read the T&C before booking to avoid nasty shocks.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:59 pm

I certainly wouldnt use them gus. Does make you wonder if its something other companies will try

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 am

Ok, that's Marbesol crossed off the list.

I'm beginning to focus in on Firefly and Centauro as the best of the budget boys, as I've yet to be convinced that Goldcar and Record have solved their customer service problems. Malagacar have dropped out due to recent poor quality cars and queues at check in snaking back to Torremolinos. It will be interesting to see reports at peak season.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:47 am

Gerry,
Have a look at the rates on Doyouspain.com for a 3 day hire this week - starts at €0.03 for the 3 days with Delpaso for a Ford Focus equivalent....and that is unlimited mileage!!
Even DYS has a cautionary note reminding about fuel service charges and excess insurance.
The hire charge itself us becoming less relevant, just keep your wits about you for the additional charges.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 am

As I've advised in a number of previous posts here, please do not use Delpaso. You will be asking for trouble. The whole of the staff are involved in a scam to relieve customers of credit card payments as deposits. The management MUST be involved also as there must be a payout to the staff from credit card payments made to the Company account.
I have no qualms about making this accusation as I have proof from my experience with photos and documents.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I'll second that !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 pm

I will third that. They will find microscopic 'scratches' which were always there and relieve you of loadsamoney. They use a fine toothcomb and everybody who was there at same as us got done

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Funnily enough, and it's funny how different folks have different experiences, but I have only had ONE situation with Delpaso where they charged me for damage and that was reasonable because I had reversed the car into a large block of granite!! My Insurance4carhire made a repayment to me within 10 days with no quibble.
I do make a point of photographing the car from all angles before I leave their depot and again when I return it. I always have the pics available when I return the car.
It's true that you need to be "on your guard" but I think that's part of the game.