Propane/Butane

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Propane/Butane

Postby bbobandannie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 am

I normally use Repsol Propano for my boiler and heater. However, the supplier today only had Butano. Now both have the same connections but everything I read says it needs a different regulator. They both have the same UN1965 label attached. Does anyone know whether they are interchangeable without changing the regulator? A quick test on a stand alone gas heater worked fine but I am concerned that there may be pressure issues.

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Propane/Butane

Postby Trooperman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Never, ever worried, but ignorance is bliss! Seriously, notwithstanding the info you have, we've interchanged the bottles for 15 years now without problems.
Maybe a techno can impart more safety info?
nil illegitimum carborundum

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:16 pm

In the UK butane and propane appliances work at different pressures. That is why, in the UK, the fittings on the cylinders are different for butane and propane such the only the correct regulator can be used.
I believe, that here in Spain, there isn't a pressure difference or that the difference is very small, so they don't need different regulators. As you have noticed the standard regulator fits both butane and propane cylinders.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Very quickly..you get more bang for your buck with Butane in Spain. Propane needs to be used at a much higher pressure than they use it here so it is running much under par all the time.
Propane however will gas at much lower temperatures than butane so is better for outdoor applications. Butane will not gas below about 4 degrees Celsius so on a very cold night outdoors for instance..nowt will come out. Jet sizes in appliances are the same for both gases so in summer butane on your boiler outdoors will be fine but it does cost more per cylinder but should last longer. I do not recommend propane for kitchen use or in estuffas ( it will work however) as it does not provide the same heat output if you are using Spanish kit. It is completely different in the UK

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Guys, thanks for all the answers. I feel much safer now. Muchas gracias, que tengas un buen fin de semana

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:36 pm

As an aside, Butane is definitely heavier!!