Stay in SPAIN or RETURN to Un-United Kingdom ?.Remain in Spain!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Stay in SPAIN or RETURN to Un-United Kingdom ?.Remain in Spain!!!

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Staying with Mrs. M's sister, in the area they grew up (L6, since you asked, Gordon!), we opted for Chinese takeaway last night. Literally mountains of food and a complimentary 2l bottle of Coke, far more than 4 of us could possibly manage, for just £27 :thumbup: . Great food, and a really friendly Chinese girl serving, who cadged some free Spanish lessons while we waited. This surprisingly mild, clear and dry morning we took a stroll along Prescott road, which at first glance seems terribly run down and tatty, but on closer inspection we discovered a fantastic "International" market, where we bought some Romanian cheese (recommended by a Romanian assistant) and were served by a very friendly and polite Arab girl at the check out, then passed an African cafe and a very enticing looking Ethiopian restaurant (on the list for our next visit), and thought, what a wonderfully cosmopolitan, diverse & tolerant place England seems. (And what a shame some silly, ignorant people think otherwise and want to change it)

Last week in Spain I asked a local door & window guy to pop by to look at our terrace door, which seemed to have warped over the years and for a while now has been impossible to close properly. I was expecting a couple of hundred euros for a new door. Three workers turned up later, armed with a Big Hammer, a Heavy Screwdriver, and loads of Latin attitude. 5 minutes later the door was fixed and clicks shut (yep, like a Golf!!) 15 euros for their trouble - what a result. :thumbup:
The same day I popped into a car spares shop by the bus station for some new wiper blades. The guy behind the counter asked where the car was, I said at home, he said come back with the car and he'd fit them. I pointed out that I could hardly park outside his shop since it's a bus stop. He just laughed...so later on I came back, bit the bullet and parked on the bus stop: 3 minutes later and 12 euros lighter the job was done with a smile and a handshake, and I thought, what an easygoing, nice laid place Spain can seem at times. (When I gave him 13 euros, he beemed like it was his birthday!!)

Sometimes the little things make such a difference. :D
Have a great day everyone!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm

My mind is so addled lately with all the planning, I can't remember where I've posted about what, so I hope anyone who's been following our forthcoming departure from Spain and return to the UK will pick up on this quick update.
Miro wrote: Unfortunately, the vendors of the house we're hoping (trying) to buy are pi55ing us around and we are very frustrated at the moment....but we will overcome :wave:
Well, over a month has passed since the vendors (if that's what they are) accepted our offer. Our solicitor called today to ask if we're still alive. We're hanging in there, but the will to live is slipping away. We've heard nothing from the vendors or estate agent. I still can't get my head around the English system, whereby a vendor can accept an offer, but give absolutely no commitment to when or even if they will ever move out. Homelessness looms!
Sister-in-law is going to view another property for us this week :shh:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Oh that is awful. Hope they contact you. Can you not get in touch with them. A month is an awful long time to go without hearing anything back.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Miro,
So much hassle buying and selling, why don't you change your mind and stay with the devil you know.?

Anyway I hope that you get some good news soon. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:45 pm

So many reasons. Let's just say, life's too short to stand still, and it's time for a change. Never thought it would be such a challenge, but we have so much to be thankful for as well, and in between all these hassles, a lot has actually gone rather well for us....But of course, that wouldn't make such good reading for you nice people!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:20 pm

I'm listening Miro, or reading..ive been following your moving posts with interest and it's good to read something different... :wave:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:33 am

Miro, may I ask how old you are?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 am

Under 65 :wink:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Ah! Ha! So you are not going back to the UK because you need a care home!!!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm

No! Although by the time we get there, I may need mental care :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Miro,
Waiting for property buyers and sellers to make up their minds and get on with sales really is a pain, we've been lucky, only ever had one ditherer who we eventually dumped in favour of a more positive seller and we actually got a better house at an even better price.

You really feel as if you are in 'limbo' when you are in this situation, very frustrating.!
Anyway I hope every gets sorted for you soon.

Regards,
Gordon