NIE

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
wollie
Resident

NIE

Postby wollie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:05 am

I have seen threads on this before but prefer if someone can clarify.
My understanding is the original N.I.E. we get before we get on the system in Spain is for life and never needs updating.

Is this understanding correct?
If we change address do we need to inform the relevant office as to our current Spanish residence?

In my own case the place where i have the casa is not the address on the origin N.I.E. of 10 years.

Many thanks.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: NIE

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 am

We still have our original NIE paper from 21 years ago and have never updated anything. We now have permanent residency so that seems to be the only thing people ask for now for anything official, only ever the green card and never the old paper NIE 'certificate.'

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:21 am

Your NIE number is for life.
Despite what some people might say it never needs renewing.
Mine. a white A4 sheet, was got for me before I lived here and has the estate agents address on it.
My "resendcia" document is registered to my correct address and has my NIE number on it.
When asked for my NIE number I produce my "resendcia" document.
Not sure where my original NIE document is as I never need it these days.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:52 am

Thank you both for replies.
Gerry my situation pretty much the same as yours but as i am not resident still have original NIE.
The reason i ask is a friend in same situation as me has being told by one of these "know all" person
that NIE needs be revisited. I have forwarded your post.

Regards

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Like others here I've had an NIE for over twenty years and it DOES stay with you for life, however harking back to an earlier post, some months ago I went with my friend to the local registration office in Las Palmas and they outright refused to give him one unless he needed it for a specific reason reason, he was told that as an EU citizen it's not necessary unless you want to buy something like a car or a house.
Some of you here may dispute this but I was present, so I don't understand how you could possibly obtain one from the UK, unless of course you do want to buy a house, in which case you need to provide the provisional contract! I don't know if different areas interpret this in different ways but I do know that this is what my friend was told !

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Manchesteral wrote:, so I don't understand how you could possibly obtain one from the UK, !
I thought that too until Beachcomber and others pointed out in a another thread a few months back that it is possible to apply from the UK
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36677&p=360775#p360775

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Why would you apply for one in the first place if you didnt need one. Surely everyone who makes the effort to get one needs it either because they are moving to spain or buying property etc

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:42 pm

When the time comes that I and my wife have died and our sons have inherited our house and any money we have then they will need NIE numbers to complete the inheritance.
Neither of them will be moving to Spain or buying anything here.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:08 pm

So, any forum members have any comments as to why my friend was outright refused?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:14 pm

The refuser had had a bad day?
Can't think of any logical reason.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:08 pm

If we change address do we need to inform the relevant office as to our current Spanish residence?
----------------
If you have your residencia (not sure if you live here) then you are supposed to update the address on it at the police station department.theres a form that is used for updating details etc.

Agree with the others. The NIE is for life. Sometimes when doing some officialdom they will ask for a copy that is less than three months old.some NIE's say on the bottom they only last for three months but i think newer ones dont say that.doesnt mean you have to renew after three months

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 pm

elusive wrote: The NIE is for life. Sometimes when doing some officialdom they will ask for a copy that is less than three months old.
Are you thinking of the certificate to say that you are on the padron with your local town hall?
That has a life of 3 months.
NIE certificate is for life and don't, in my experience, have an expiry date.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:03 pm

No thinking of the nie gerry. When i got mine a few years it said on the bottom valid for three months.recently from what ive read on cab spain it seems to have been going back and forth where some have a date on and then changed to where they dont

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 pm

It seems me and my friend are in the same situation as Gerry though this would explain why i made the original post for my friend.
I be very interested for clarification just to know. Who are cab spain?

many thanks.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi ,
cab Spain...................

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:17 am

Wollie are you talking about the actual NIE or the what people call the residencia certificate. some people get the two mixed up. My NIE white paper has no address on (do older ones?) But the residencia does and legally you are supposed to update it when you change address

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Mine was issued in 2003 & has no address - just says resident of UK
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Interesting thread, if only for the fact that it reveals so much confusion over something that so many foreigners, other than pure tourists, in Spain probably have. You'd think it would be made a bit clearer by the Spanish govt.!
For what it's worth, my understanding is that your NIE (número de identidad de extranjeros) is simply your ID number for tax purposes. It's like your National Insurance number, in other words. It never expires or needs renewing. If you have a piece of paper that mentions 3 months validity, or an expiry date, or the need to renew anything, it's probably just that piece of paper that is referred to - not the NIE number itself.
If you plan on carrying out any taxable activity (buying a property or a car would count) then you'll need one. Maybe tourists will need one soon too, in order to open their bank accounts up to the Spanish taxman just for breathing Spanish air, but until such time, I can easily see a funcionário refusing to issue one without good reason, simply because you'd be asking him/her to do something, which is basically against their nature.
As far as I know, if you do have an NIE, you also should have a registered address in Spain - even if it's just the address of your gestor or legal representative, so that the tax authority have a means of contacting you in the (likely) event they want to fleece you for something. If you sign up for the cl@ve system (for which you need a Spanish mobile number, which of course as a non-resident you may well not have) you can easily log on to the AEAT website and view or update your registered details.
:wtf:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm

elusive,
Its the NIE i have which i have no issue with, its just a friend of mine was advised by "know all" friend they needed to have NIE renewed and i just asked and am passing on your relevant comments, because i am in the exact same situation myself the comments are also relevant for me.
For the record mine has a Spanish address and the address of my home Country, it just has date of issue which was towards end 2006, no expiry date.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Ah Ok wollie. I get you now. Yeah dont worry about renewing it