Pool sand

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pool sand

Postby Mariposa » Thu May 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Has anyone used the glass sand for the pool filter? We have a continuing problem with dust re circulating through the system , we have added another two sacks as it seemed to have reduced, problem still continues. I have used a lot of water hoovering to waste over and over, but problem remains.... Any ideas. Filter has been cleaned, chemicals in, and cover is on most of the time.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pool sand

Postby Lyric » Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 pm

I replaced the whole lot, pump, filter and Multi-way valve at the end of summer, all sorts of defects were happening and the sand needed changing so I went for a change including going for the glass medium. I suffered with dust for a while, left the pump running longer than normal, and did more backwashes than I would normally do and eventually it went away, took quite a while though.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 pm

When replacing the sand in the filter, it is important that you
- renew the "laterals" in the base of the filter: the 6/8/10/more small plastic fingers (with slits) that prevent sand from the filter re-entering the pool
- use the recommended grit/gravel to cover the laterals by several cm
- use the recommended grade of fine sand for the rest of the filling

Proper pool filter sand is carefully graded by particle size, so as not to allow any significant 'dust' to enter the pool. Cheap or GP sand is not so graded. An easy way to get the proper sand is to buy Astral brand material, not from a pool shop (expensive) but from a plumbers' merchants (far better price). Other pukka brands no doubt available.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Sun May 14, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariposa » Sun May 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks, people. Will try everything, but will get someone else to do it!