The order in which you register a UK car in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

The order in which you register a UK car in Spain

Postby DannyandJosie » Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 am

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I can't find specifically what I am looking for :(

I have a UK car which I am planning oon changing over to Spanish plates. I know I need to change the headlights (already done) and remove my non factory tow bar.

I am planning on using a gestor to sort out the necessary paperwork/taxes etc.

What I am trying to find out though, is the order of the whole process ... do I need to get an itv done before I go to the gestor or the otherway around ? Also at what point do I need to change the insurance ? Is there anything else I am missing ?

I have had the car here for 4 months now and know it needs to be completed within 6 months if I am not planning on taking it back to the UK (my UK insurance does cover the car to be here for 6 months).

Thanks for any advice or help.

Danny
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

Trooperman
Resident

Re: The order in which you register a UK car in Spain

Postby Trooperman » Sun May 14, 2017 10:54 am

do I need to get an itv done before I go to the gestor
No. The gestor has loads of paperwork to do to arrange what is, as you'd expect, a special ITV

If you're anywhere Estepona, I know of an ace vehicle gestor
nil illegitimum carborundum

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi DannyandJosie,

If you have symmetrical rear light clusters then you're good to go at that end.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun May 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Gestor will arrange all paperwork.

For you, this will involve an Engineer who will inspect the car at a time and place agreed, note its details (eg engine bay conformance number, whether headlights etc have been converted, whether vehicle is essentially unmodified, etc), and will authorise (or not) that it is fit to be Matriculation Tested.

Next is the ITV Matriculation Test, at an ITV station you choose. This test costs about €110 iirc, and doesn't involve much additional except a slightly more through lighting check, and some very tedious applications of a tape measure to make sure the vehicle length, height, width and wheelbase correspond to the maker's spec.

If it passes, Gestor will be able to process the rest of the paperwork, and you will be issued with Plates.

Payment for the whole lot, including Test and Matriculation fee is usually to the Gestor, who should be able to provide you with an accurate all-in cost.

For ours, having "new plates" on an old car, created the unexpected situation of not being called for a further ITV test for three (or was it four?) years! I just ignored this, and took it for due test anyway.

You are right in needing to remove a non-certificated towbar and its visible electrics. Just removing the tow ball is not sufficient. Also check that the tyres/wheels fitted are of the sizes and speed ratings (usually on a label on the door pillar) approved by the car manufacturer.
Chris

DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DannyandJosie » Sun May 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Thankyou very much for the replies. I have a recommended gestor in my area and will arrange an appointment and take it from there :)

Danny
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale