Non resident buying S/H car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Non resident buying S/H car

Postby El Cid » Sun May 21, 2017 8:00 am

What documents are required to purchase a S/H car from a private seller? According to Trafico only a passport and NIE is required.

Does anyone have any personal experience to confirm this, or are additional documents (apart from the usual details of the seller and the car papers) required in practice.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non resident buying S/H car

Postby costakid » Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 am

I bought a BMW from a guy in Mijas. He bought the car in Germany in his private name and paid cash for it. No finance or help from his company. His SL company later went bankrupt and the car finished up with an embargo on it. I only found out 3 months afterwards.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Several years ago, we bought a second hand Spanish car from an English friend who was returning to the UK, and we used our local Gestor to administrate everything. He needed to see our NIE, but we gave him photocopies of everything to minimise any problems......

When the Gestor went to Trafico, they progressed a search and discovered that when our friend had bought the car from new, he had financed the purchase by using a loan from his bank, and Trafico then required us to prove that the loan had been paid off in full. We knew that it had, but that wasn't good enough, so the Gestor had to contact the relevant bank, and get their written confirmation, which took another six months and cost an extra €50. Apparently (he said) it was quite a normal procedure to do so, and of course six months later, all was put in order......

It just takes longer than you might expect.......

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 26, 2017 6:45 pm

vinuela vinny wrote:It just takes longer than you might expect.......
That could well be the motto for life in Spain....!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.