Malaga airport new departures procedure

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Malaga airport new departures procedure

Postby spanish_lad » Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 pm

The sur in English has made the airport sound worse than it is. There is no "chaos" at the airport.

When you go up to departures you now need to take a ticket at one of the five entrance barriers. Stay on the left hand side (the right hand side is still for taxis) and then go through one of the five barriers and get a ticket. Go through any one, you don't need to be a sheep and make a big queue on the left hand side entrance....

Drive down the road where the drop off point used to be and turn to the left into what was the "express" car park. Pull into a space, don't just stop in the middle of the road and start unloading 20 suitcases.. Its just not considerate to other people. Everyone's doing it so much they have had to move an airport security guard out there to move people on.

When you go out after dropping people off, you can leave by any one of the SEVEN exits. If you have been more than 15 minutes you'll need to pay the ticket before going to the car, then make your way to the far end of the car park, as if you are driving into the old one, and just leave through the exit barriers. Watch the road markings, you will have cars coming from behind you when you cross lanes.

The drop off outside terminal two is now half full of planters and it can only be used by vehicles that are too tall to go in the car park, ie: campers and vans etc.

Overall, watch the lane changes, and be considerate to other road users... And it will make the airport a better place.

Any questions about the drop off area let me know and I will try to answer them for you.

James
Last edited by spanish_lad on Sun May 21, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga airport new departures procedure

Postby costakid » Sun May 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Are you airport police?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 21, 2017 10:37 pm

On the plus side 15 minutes is free. You have to pay at lots of airports.

I have noticed the new place to lurk free to collect folk is on the corner before you go down the straight for hire cars/ ordinary parking.

I still maintain the layout of the airport has changed for the worse. I would love someone from the airport to travel to and from parking with a disabled passenger and loads of luggage . The spring loaded handles on the airport trolleys are getting to be an issue too on these long walks.. The yellow jacket service within airport is generally very good.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun May 21, 2017 10:43 pm

"The sur in English lied to you all. There is no "chaos" at the airport" when was this article written?

I came through Malaga April 13 and it was a mess and i posted about this here.
I came through on Thursday and as you say ok though i not notice the detail.
I am very happy to see it is being sorted but to say sur lied is false.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun May 21, 2017 11:45 pm

I wish I was costakid, sometimes I wish I was hahah :lolno:

The security guy was pulling his hair out the other day, running back and forth between directing traffic and trying to stop people pulling up in the lanes and blocking the traffic. People were ignoring him and just carrying on doing what they wanted :(

Sorry Willie, it was meant "toungue in cheek"... No harm intended - we have had so many people calling us up and we are saying the same things over and over because of what people have read online or in the free press.

Unfortunately olive, that is a no stopping zone. I've just watched about 20 unattended cars get 300 euro tickets. There is no 'layby' there, if you stop there you will be blocking one lane of the road.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon May 22, 2017 9:14 am

There is no need to be sorry.
I actually made a complaint to the car hire company in April as it was a mess, i just wanted to be fair and point out things had improved considerably.
At the time i also posted here about same.
Last week i noticed the new barriers and the thing seemed to be working pretty ok.
I was not aware of the changes in drop-off procedure as i use car hire. I am sure your original post be helpful for people who use this.
15 min free time seems reasonable and a €300 ticket will pretty well make sure that it works.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 22, 2017 12:23 pm

And if it is a UK-registered car the fine could be "on the spot"!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon May 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon May 22, 2017 1:27 pm

In the past if I was collecting an arrival I would head up to departures stay in the left lane and pull into the first entrance and park as near to the walkway as I could. Leaving the car at the departures level and going down the escalators two floors to arrivals.
malagaparkingplan.jpg
From this map it seems that this is now designated as the departures drop off and the park for arrivals is elsewhere. Is that designated arrivals parking at ground level ?

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon May 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Stevemul wrote:https://postimg.org/image/awdj1d8af/

Can anyone explain?!
First 15 mins is free. Then €6.68 an hour I guess.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 22, 2017 2:56 pm

15 free minutes is good. At Stansted last week I noted that it is 3.50 GBP for up to 10 mins, then 1 pound per minute for 10 -15 mins, and 25 pounds for over 15 mins parking. and you cannot leave the car unattended there.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm

...it seems that this is now designated as the departures drop off and the park for arrivals is elsewhere. Is that designated arrivals parking at ground level ?
You can still park there to pick up arrivals and it's now better value if you stay under 15 minutes. Be aware that if you stay over 15 minutes you are charged for the total time. Stay 16 minutes and you're charged for 16 minutes, and not 1 minute.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Tue May 23, 2017 9:44 am

Has anyone tried the new arrivals car park yet?
AlisonB

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue May 23, 2017 11:08 pm

peteroldracer wrote:And if it is a UK-registered car the fine could be "on the spot"!
if its not towed away, which is what they have been doing for the past few weeks. Roadblocks at the airport.. No escape :lol:

Stevemul wrote:https://postimg.org/image/awdj1d8af/

Can anyone explain?!
Its not 6,68 - its 2,68 for 16 minutes. I'm not sure when or where that picture was taken.
Lyric wrote:In the past if I was collecting an arrival I would head up to departures stay in the left lane and pull into the first entrance and park as near to the walkway as I could. Leaving the car at the departures level and going down the escalators two floors to arrivals.
malagaparkingplan.jpg
From this map it seems that this is now designated as the departures drop off and the park for arrivals is elsewhere. Is that designated arrivals parking at ground level ?
You can still do that, although it would be expensive. I would recommend, if you don't mind walking along the walkways, to go the bottom level, around the aeroplane 'roundabout' and into the "old" / main car park, and up to the second level.

There is now a new car park right outside arrivals, with similar pricing but no free time. It is accessed from the new road, then down towards the hire car parking, but stay on the right. Its between arrivals and the train station /gardens.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Has anyone tried the new arrivals car park yet?
Yes, last Monday. Took me two goes to find it, however probably my fault as I came from the East and followed the "Old" way down MA21 and past the hire cars to the San Miguel roundabout.
If you follow the New high level way in, as you are supposed to then it is pretty obvious and signed "Preferente Parking" you are taken down to ground level and in my case (at 10.00 on a Monday morning) barge through the queuing taxis to the ticket machine. I think there are 90 covered places mine was the third car there that day :)
The car park is at ground level about half way between the door of the arrivals hall and the train station. The pay stations are just by the parking and there are three. So minimal walking, no lifts or travelators.
My guest was a bit elusive as she didn't follow my instructions for a meeting point but even so I only paid 3€ and change.
I have no idea how the airport is approached from directions other than from the East, officially I mean rather the back road entries that will have been developed over the years.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:46 am

I have never dropped anybody off at the airport before so I know nothing about the old system. I am dropping a friend off on Monday, so if I follow the signs for departures/drop off , is it straight forward?

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:06 am

We dropped off Thursday morning and picked up Monday evening. On Thursday the departures system was a nightmare. Long queues to get in, then when you go into the car park everyone just abandoned their cars in the aisles to let people out. We managed to get through in 15 mins, but it was a fairly close thing. One security man was waving his arms but not doing anything much. I think the system is only going to work if the car park is just a drop off area and not a car park as well. If you did pull into a space rather than stop in the aisle, you couldn't get out again. There's also a lot of lane merging so I suspect there are a lot of shunts. Monday was better, but I think next time, for arrivals we'll use the one Lyric described. Sounds much more civilised
AlisonB

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 am

its a bit chaotic at the moment but as soon as they start issuing fines for illegal drops it should sort its self out. They have cctv and you have to go through a barrier to get in and out so it should be easy to warn people.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:17 pm

We came back last Tuesday at 7-30 pm and the queue for border control was 35 mins which resulted in the belts in the baggage hall to have all stopped with jammed bags, it was an absolute debacle, there was no-one there to get bags which had fallen into the centre; people had burst bags with clothes all over the floor. What a welcome to Spain.
On the way out the fortnight before, the P3 bus had to queue for 10 mins to get us into the drop off zone which was full of taxis and the driver had to use the disabled bay as that was the only space available.
Considering how much money has been spent on Terminal 3, heads should roll, but they won't of course!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:09 pm

alisonb wrote: I think the system is only going to work if the car park is just a drop off area and not a car park as well. If you did pull into a space rather than stop in the aisle, you couldn't get out again.
I could'nt not agree more. It should be one or the other. It will never work the way it is set up just now!