Where to get photocopies certified?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Where to get photocopies certified?

Postby MauriceW » Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi,

For a financial service in the UK, I need to send them a certified copy of a utility bill and my ID.
Does anyone know where I can get photocopies certified, without costing me too much?

Kind regards,
Maurice

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Where to get photocopies certified?

Postby masterob » Fri May 19, 2017 2:14 pm

I used to go to the Notary Office. A nominal charge levied.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri May 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Or your bank or Town Hall - get them to write Certified Copy on it, and stamp and sign it, with a name and tel no.
A branch of Santander can be a good one . . . it's pretty much accepted as a UK bank these days!! :crazy:
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Fri May 19, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Your local police station will do it. Take the originals with you also

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 19, 2017 6:33 pm

My gestor did it for free

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri May 19, 2017 6:34 pm

We've used our local Notary in the past.....

Take the originals, the notary will photocopy them on the official numbered paper, nd then add all the stamps and seals, and certify them.....

A few euros each time.....

HTH

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 22, 2017 3:05 pm

We have got to do the same but they need to have a specific text in English (Certified as a true copy and true likeness of the original seen by me), so check to see what the financial service requires.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

Went to our local Police office with my passport and a copy and asked them to certify the photo copy as being a true copy of the original , they said we had to go to the Town Hall to have that done so we did and after explaining what i needed and why , she stamped it and asked for 2 euros , she would not write anything on it . We will post it off to nationwide but i seriously doubt they will accept it . It shown the date in the stamp and the stamp is blue and looks official but if it was me i wouldent accept it , what does dated stamp prove other then it was shown to someone at that date and that could have been for numerous reasons . Our bank said they would certify it but a bank is not listed on Nationwides guide as persons that they approve of .

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 24, 2017 7:59 pm

I had to send c copies to my bank and they mentioned an accountant/lawyer or notary in the list i could use. I explained to them what a gestor was and they accepted that with the wording in english stamp and contact details of the gestor.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm

I once received a letter from the DWP asking me to prove I was still alive and eligible for my state pension by getting a form ( in English) signed by a suitable Spanish professional.

I responded by pointing out that, as they knew, that I lived in Spain and the local professionals sadly had this odd habit of speaking Spanish. I also pointed out that as they usually produced all their leaflets etc in many languages such an Hindi, Bangladeshi and many other languages that producing a form in Spanish should not be beyond their capabilities and would they please send me one in Spanish.

Strangely enough, they never replied and I still get my pension every month!

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Perhaps they took the hint.The letter I received from the DWP just asked me to confirm I was still alive.
Didn't ask for anybody else to confirm I was alive.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu May 25, 2017 6:22 am

why would you not send the original utility bill?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Our bank did ours for free, whereas the local Notary wanted 8€ to certify each passport (and a bank, either EU or UK was on the list of acceptable people).

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Fri May 26, 2017 8:29 am

We inquired at our Spanish bank and they said they would be happy to certify so we messaged Nationwide on our online banking site to ask them exactly what they required to be wrten on it and had a reply from them yesterday saying a letter from my bank despite the fact i have been with them for many years would not be acceptable .

Another UK bank might accept it , the banks are only told that they have to verify the identities of their customers and they are given a document explaining their legal obligations and advice of the various methods of complying however that for guidance only . If you read the document they have to follow then it explains everything however different banks apply their own interpretation and criteria , actually they can self certify without any documentation all if they choose to , advice given in the document states that if a customer has been with you for some years and there has been no suspicious activity on their account and they have no reason to doubt the customers identity then documentation from the customer would not be nescersary if they felt the circumstances were appropriate and they would have fulfilled their obligation having complied with their legal requirement .

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri May 26, 2017 12:59 pm

I have just been to our local notary for a certified copy of my passport: €3,25
Took ten minutes.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.