URGENT CAR Yellow Warning Light & ITV URGENT!!!

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
john the baptist
Resident

URGENT CAR Yellow Warning Light & ITV URGENT!!!

Postby john the baptist » Wed May 31, 2017 11:15 pm

I have the ITV on saturday at Estepona and took the car to get an oil change oil filter air filter and all round brake pads. The problem is that as soon as drove out of the mechanic the yellow service light came on the one that the car and the spanner.

I sure its nothing but I dont have time to go back to the garage as they want me to leave it all day with them and I need it for work. Does anyone know if this in itself an ITV (MOT) instant fail???

I understand that the red warning dash lights are bad but the are the yellow ones bad as well??? are they more a casual warning not a major problem.

Ive spent 5 hours today handing around as I dont have any additional transport or anyone who can pick me up so when the car goes to the garage I have to hang around (usually sitting in Carrefour using their wifi) I have to drive the car in and then home. Ive had a red light before and I paid 25e for it to be switch off but after just paying over 250e I dont want to do it again as Ive had issues with yellow lights before in the uk. My old fiat back in the 90's used to be like a disco when the yellow lights came on. I paid for it to get fixed and then after 10 miles it was back on. This uk car was eventually scrapped as part of a trade in so never did another UK MOT.

Does anyone know if I can just leave the car spanner yellow light on and it will still pass?? or at least not fail because of this. My car is old but it has many many many new parts tyres ect.

Ive only for a couple of days now and desperately running out of time. (BTW my mechanic is a back street spanish bloke, ive never found any good trust worthy ones and have been ripped off before)

As my car is over 12 years old no main dealer is interested plus I cant afford their prices anyway.

Cheers in advance for any help!!!!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: URGENT CAR Yellow Warning Light & ITV URGENT!!!

Postby gerryh » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 am

Usually the Spanner symbol means that a service is due. It is just a reminder.
On my car it can be reset by holding down the trip reset button, turning on the ignition and continue to hold down the button. A countdown goes fro 10 to 1 and then 20000, the service interval is set/displayed. Let go the button.
This of course might be different for the make/model of your car.
Cheers
Gerry

Release
Gerry Harris

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 am

I agree with gerryh , i think its a service reminder however if you google Yellow Spanner , warning light , make of your car and year im sure you can confirm this . If thats the case and they do fail it for its ITV you have plenty of time to have it sorted and return for another ITV which you wont need to pay for , the Fail will tell you the time you have , normally from 15 days but can be up to 2 months if its something thats not dangerous .

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:04 am

Hi J de B,

See info on the web................zafira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXT42I4swwM
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:21 am

I have just had a fail for the engine management warning after several years of passes with the same light on. I knew it was the Lambda sensor but at nearly 300€ ............
As ever personalities enter the frame, person A (have to drop the bloke as Algarobbo have female testers) will pass it , person B instant fail.
I had two months to fix.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 am

thanks for info everyone will give you an update on how I get on.

Ill be in the zafira in estepona on saturday at 11am if anyones there come say hello or give me a tissue when Im in tears LOL. Im going to take it regardless and see what they say. Estepona is better than Algeciras so maybe Ill be lucky

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:40 am

Jeez, 300e for a lambda swap. A lambda socket and a new probe would only cost you 50e tops, unless it's something really special or in an unreachable position for a mere mortal lol.

I'd be asking questions before I part with that sort of outlay.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:17 am

Enrique wrote:Hi J de B,

See info on the web................zafira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXT42I4swwM
hi its not the insp in the middle its the yellow CAR symbol with the spanner do the simple service reset has not worked, not a 30 minute battery off reset.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi J de B,

I'm guessing its the second light down on this list ...........

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/z ... 205577.cfm

Vauxhall Zafira engine electronics malfunction warning light............. :(

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Enrique yes it is the second one down, will it be an instant fail??? or is there a slightest chance that I get someone in a good mood that will just let it go!!!!
If it passes everything else, will this one thing make it fail????
cheers everyone Im started to get very worried.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 pm

"the Fail will tell you the time you have , normally from 15 days but can be up to 2 months if its something thats not dangerous ."

is the retest after fail free even for serious items? also how much is the test

just interested,
thanks.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:38 pm

i think its still under €50 i cant remember

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Depends on where you live.
I Andulucia for cars less than 1600cc, petrol engined €32.77 Diesel engined €37.84
Cars 1600 cc and above, petrol engined €42.92, diesel engined €47.99.
Yes retests, after a fail, are free.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks Gerry and thanks everyone.

Ive run out of time as the ITV is tomorrow, so will let everyone know tomorrow what happened.

May I please ask in everyone's opinion do you think it will pass or fail simply for this light on???

Im looking to buy a diagnosis machine so that I can try to switch these light off myself. I believe you can get a basic one that will do the job fairly cheaply. I paying a fortune anyway at the diagnostic center to reset these lights.

So PASS or FAIL what do you think????

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:22 am

Hi J de B,
PASS...........from what I've seen on ITV's I've attended.............if the emissions are OK.

As for a ODB Code reader make sure it can Reset all the Fault lights for your Make & Model.

I've just upgraded my reader for Renault specific, as a basic one couldn't reset some of the Fault lights.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 am

The guy who serviced our Seat always firgit to reset the service interval light. It took around twenty seconds for him to do it when we dropped in afterwards, and instructions were on the internet. If your mechanic does not know how to do it perhaps you should find another, better trained one? Have you tried Googling for your make and model?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:07 am

Two asides, one we failed on a light while emissions were within limits, personalties. He passed the frayed seat belt which I am assured by a licensed UK tester would have been an instant UK MOT fail.
and two
Jeez, 300e for a lambda swap.
I was quoted 240€ ish for the sensor by two garages, both citing that there was no pattern component available and it had to be a Toyota part. Labour was 30€.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:18 am

Lyric wrote: I was quoted 240€ ish for the sensor by two garages, both citing that there was no pattern component available and it had to be a Toyota part. Labour was 30€.
I'm sure they did. The plug/connector will probably have been Toyota only.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 am

He is a good Mechanic, hes Moroccan and can not read and write, he works hard and is honest. He does not have electronic devices for high tech cars and is a old school mechanic. Its also ramadam and hes diabetic so is killing himself everyday but is better shape than I am and hes 20 years older than me!!!!
I dont have time now to get the light sorted as Im Gib all day and ITV is tomorrow. I had to stay with the car as I had no transport home so used us 2 days.
He has been working on the car for years now and have sorted out the mess that "proper" mechanics have done many many times. my car is 15+ years old now and most places dont want to know. my main transport is maxi scooter for commuting daily but still need the car for shopping family etc.
Id have him over 100 young spanish mechanics anyday as most need a lap top to fix anything and need to replace every part instead of fixing existing ones or problems.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:57 am

peteroldracer wrote:The guy who serviced our Seat always firgit to reset the service interval light. It took around twenty seconds for him to do it when we dropped in afterwards, and instructions were on the internet. If your mechanic does not know how to do it perhaps you should find another, better trained one? Have you tried Googling for your make and model?
Its not the service interval light, that I have done. Its the car with spanner. On a zafira the inspection light is on the odometer and I have reset it.