Tyres and I TV - a long shot

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Tyres and I TV - a long shot

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:52 am

I think it's alarming that you're prepared to put a mixture of oddball and non-spec tyres on a tonne of metal that will be driven on public roads. It's not just your own safety that's involved here, but that of other road users and pedestrians around you.

A pity that the ITV test is not even more strict and consistent, so that bodged and substandard vehicles are not removed from our roads.

You should not be proclaiming how little you can spend on tyres, but ensuring that you meet sensible standards. Your tyres are the only contact you have with the road surface, and all braking, steering and handling depends utterly on them. With the polished tarmac commonplace in Andalucia, plus the known hazard of months of sun and diesel spillage followed by a sudden rainshower, decent rubber is even more crucial.
Chris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 am

Good Post TDA
My Dad always referred to tyres as your first line of defence, a view with which I concur.
My current vehicle has Michelin Energy Saving tyres as original equipment. Their grip is dire and I hope to change at least the fronts for normal tyres before winter.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:09 am

Poor or cheap tyres equal ditch finders.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 am

I accept all the points about tyres, but as this vehicle does about 50 km per week of which 47 is on tracks, it really is a Campo car, and a very good one at that.

My next question, however, is what I do next. I have until 2 August to have it retested. The tyres I can sort out but the emissions where a bit high. I think I can reduce this but if it fails again what is the procedure. I know the retest is free and if it fails again I have to pay for the next test.

How long do you get before the car needs a second retest?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Re emissions. If the car is regularly serviced and maintained it shouldn't be a problem. How were you thinking you could reduce them? Italian tune up perhaps 4000 rpm in a low gear for ten miles might help.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:20 pm

:clap: :lol: " Italian tune up"
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:32 pm

olive wrote:Re emissions. If the car is regularly serviced and maintained it shouldn't be a problem. How were you thinking you could reduce them? Italian tune up perhaps 4000 rpm in a low gear for ten miles might help.
They actually do recommend that you do that just prior to the test. Blows the cobwebs away

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:55 pm

At the ITV station I use it recommended for diesel engined vehicles to run the engine up to when the governor cuts in threes times before taking it to the test bay..............When did you last change the Cam Belt....... :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:01 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:I accept all the points about tyres, but as this vehicle does about 50 km per week of which 47 is on tracks, it really is a Campo car,
Remember that if you fail, as opposed to get a pass with an advisory warning, you cannot legally drive on public roads (tracks or otherwise) until you get it fixed and retested. You are only allowed to drive to the garage which will fix it and then to the test station.

Sid

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi fellow Disco owner! Have a look at this re. the emissions:
https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/31851-20 ... -too-high/
nil illegitimum carborundum

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm

I expect you are using supermarket/budget fuel as well. That does not help emissions, and neither does endless campo track driving. Like tyres, cheap does not mean good.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:37 am

And when you rev the nuts off it the belt will probably snap.